Welcome to PatsFans.com

Computer Guys...I need help

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tucker, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Tucker

Tucker Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's been a while since I've messed with computers. A LONG while actually. I'm still running my top of the line (when I built it in 2000 lol) AMD 850Mhz computer.

ANYHOW...I'm way past due on building a new rig, however I'm on a tight budget and cant get everything at the same time. Is it possible for me to just pick up a new mobo,cpu and ram and run my old IDE hard drives and cd/dvd burners out of the old case, or is everything so out of date there is no compatibility anymore?

Thanks
  2. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Out of date because it runs windows. :)
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,087 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

Just hit it with a wrench.
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I'd go over to MajorGeeks.com and ask this question - they're pretty good at this stuff and can probably help you more.
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Plug and play is plug and play.

The only things I'd be a little concerned about is maybe the power supply and cooling, but cooling isn't probably that big a concern since you didn't mention a video card. BTW 12 gigs was huge for a hard drive in 2000 IIRC. You must have updated that by now, right? That might be problem if you haven't.

Generally when software says it requires a 40x CD/DVD drive that's only to keep you from calling tech support saying the program has hung when its still loading. If your optical drives are circa 2000 it could take a while to load today's programs.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

#1, what's your budget?

That is the first question that needs to be answered. Some of your components could easily be salvagable, some not. I just built a new system last week. There are systems & upgrades for every budget. Let me know what you're going to be using the system for, and what your budget is, and I can help steer you in the right direction.

Check out Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews as well. It's the site I learned the most stuff at. Breeze through their forums, as they have one dedicated to custom system building.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +613 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]