Welcome to PatsFans.com

Compromise

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PATSNUTme, Aug 16, 2011.

?

Increas taxes on rich/repeal ObamaCare

Poll closed Aug 26, 2011.
  1. yes, that is a fair compromise

27.3%
  2. no, thais not a good compromise.

72.7%
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I heard that there was a poll saying that most Americans wanted compromise in Washington.

OK here is a compromise proposal.

The Republicans agree to a 5% income tax rate increase on the filthy rich people on earned income over $250,00o per year. Obama has wanted this ever since he stepped foot in the White House.

Obama agrees to the complete and total repeal of the Health Care law passed last year (ObamaCare) Most Americans don't want it according to the polls and the Republicans have been wanting to repeal it.

So is this a fair compromise in your opinion? vote in the poll that I'm putting up. Just vote what you think and not what you think the politicians in Washington would do.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

Restoration of the Republican tax cuts for the rich will happen with or without negotiation, so your compromise gives liberals nothing.
  3. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. If you assume that Obama is re-elected, which is no better than 50-50 at this time, then it could come.

We can do something now or gamble on the later. If a Rep President and Rep Senate is elected then Obama care is going to be repealed anyway, without a tax increase.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

So, you're apparently not interested in compromise (just as I thought). My point was simply that your poll does not present a compromise.

But in response to what you wrote, it seems reasonably unlikely that Republicans will win control of Washington, and even less likely that they'll win enough control to overcome Democrat filibusters in the Senate.
  5. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

what is compromise to you?
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Let the Bush tax cuts on the wealthiest 1% end
    End Oil subsidies
    Medicare for all
    increase spending on education
    end the wars bring the troops home
    end the tax breaks for outsourcing
    increase the capital gains tax

period.

I'd feel confident in our leadership standing firm on these principles, if our leader wasn't Barack Obama.

I suspect he will negotiate using the exact topic this poll suggests.

dumbness....
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its give and take

The healthcare bill that you seem to hate already represents a compromise. The extension of the Bush Tax cuts ALREADY REPRESENTS A COMPROMISE.

now you want to use one against the other, and claim leverage?

There is only one man that bad at negotiating....too bad he's our President.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

A compromise is between what two people of different views want, not between what one side has the other side wants. The liberals and Democrats already have the tax increase. So, a compromise might be, for instance, to allow universal health care in exchange for keeping the tax cuts on the wealthy low. (Universal health care is convincingly argued to be cheaper; in France, which by many measures has the best health care in the world, the cost per person of health care is around half of what it is here, so the savings would be enormous if we went to universal health care, but that's another debate)
  9. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

republican compromise:

[​IMG]

granted, i voted yes... but my idea of taxing the rich would not just be a return to pre-Bush League cuts... awwww.

Besides, I'd dare say most of the 1 percenters didn't really "earn" their riches anyway... certainly not at any reasonably fair market value for their "work."
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  10. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

This little experiment is to show how a word in a poll means really nothing. The poll says "the American people want compromise". The media has quoted that time and time again.

It sounds good but it's really is pie in the sky. The old saying "let's compromise, do it my way', is still true.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

As long as the Republican mentality is that whatever Obama, Pelosi or Reid propose is automatically bad, nothing can be done to resolve any of this. As long as the most popular news network continues to brainwash its viewers with its vitriol towards Obama nothing can change.

All need to move on from partisan politics to what is good for the American people.. not just a few people.

Reactionary politics is not a good thing and nothing can be accomplished for this country..
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Here's a compromise, lets not do anything to Obamacare and in 20 years when its as popular here in the USA as UHC is throughout the rest of the civilized world we'll let you Republicans have 1/2 the credit.

Its no loss for the left anyway since you know when it becomes that popular the right's gonna claim it was their idea in the first place.