PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Completing the Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is everyone happy with the following? Would the team be stronger?
I would def. be happier...and the team would def. be stronger.

=========================
THE SIX AT THE BOTTOM
OL - LEVIOR is warming the bench for Flynn I would think. Or for RT/RG Welbourn.

OL - CONNOLLY is to be replaced by a veteran OG who also plays OT, likely Welbourn.
G/C Connolly hopefully replaced by C/G Flynn.

ST - JONES is warming the bench for Faulk. Agreed.

ST - AIKEN may be moved to the IR when a vet safety is signed, likely Lynch. Agreed.

ST/S - SLATER will likely stay although could be cut if Aiken can come back soon. Extremely unlikely.

ST/WR - VENTRONE has earned his spot and is not vulnerable at all; he is our #5 WR. Agreed.
==========================
OUT: LeVoir, Connolly, Jones, Aiken
IN: Flynn, Welbourn, Faulk, Lynch
STAY: Slater, Ventrone
==========================

BTW, this analysis strongly says that bb has made moves so that he cwld not guarantee the salaries of three veterans (whether they were on the team before or others). Miguel might tell us if this was necessary for cap reasons. How much would we haved saved by cutting and re-signing, and did we need the cap room?

I agree that the release of Flynn, Welbourn & Lynch may have been more salary-based than performance-based, and I really hope than all the above moves come to pass next week.

I don't see why Slater AND Jones can't be kept - at the bottom of the roster I tend to want to keep the best players, with positional depth somewhat secondary.

Also I get the feeling Levitor and Connolly are guys who are getting some additional looksee/practice time, but after tomorrow, they may be jettisoned to make room for veteran signees who's salaries will no longer be guranteed.

BB in a sense is using the extra week to develop a deeper shadow roster.

Last edited:
Okay. The two OL's will be cut and replaced by veterans.
Aiken will likely be put on IR and Lynch signed.

Who would you cut when Faulk comes back if not Slater or Jones?

I don't see why Slater AND Jones can't be kept - at the bottom of the roster I tend to want to keep the best players, with positional depth somewhat secondary.

Also I get the feeling Levitor and Connolly are guys who are getting some additional looksee/practice time, but after tomorrow, they may be jettisoned to make room for veteran signees who's salaries will no longer be guranteed.

Okay. The two OL's will be cut and replaced by veterans.
Aiken will likely be put on IR and Lynch signed.

Who would you cut when Faulk comes back if not Slater or Jones?

Wirh O'Neal on board and Richardson on the PS Lewis Sanders could be considered expendable. At 6'1" he is a giant among Pats corners though.

Wirh O'Neal on board and Richardson on the PS Lewis Sanders could be considered expendable. At 6'1" he is a giant among Pats corners though.

I think Jones is gone before Sanders, personally. I hope so anyway.
Jones is a poor man's Chad Jackson. :p

I think Jones is gone before Sanders, personally. I hope so anyway.
Jones is a poor man's Chad Jackson. :p

Oh boy. Now you did it.

Oh boy. Now you did it.

Yeah, I've had my flame-proof suit on for a few hours now anyway, everyone's moody tonight. Mise well get 'em worked up. lol

I'm surprised by how many expect Aiken to move to IR. (At least in this thread people are merely anticipating it; in some other threads, posters seem eager for it, sometimes unpleasantly so. :()

Until his injury, Aiken had done everything right. He earned plaudits from everyone, from BB to patsfans at practices, for his work ethic, intelligence, professionalism, overall approach to the game, and consistent performance in camp. The fact that they kept room for him on the roster to this point despite a nasty-looking injury seems like a good sign that they expect him to be back -- and that they really value him. No? :confused:

I'm surprised by how many expect Aiken to move to IR. (At least in this thread people are merely anticipating it; in some other threads, posters seem eager for it, sometimes unpleasantly so. :()

Until his injury, Aiken had done everything right. He earned plaudits from everyone, from BB to patsfans at practices, for his work ethic, intelligence, professionalism, overall approach to the game, and consistent performance in camp. The fact that they kept room for him on the roster to this point despite a nasty-looking injury seems like a good sign that they expect him to be back -- and that they really value him. No? :confused:

You're probably right, I think it's a matter of everyone feeling we're loaded at WR and STs without him. How to save a binky, right?

I'd rather see Spach or Alexander go, personally.

I'm sure that Mr. Aiken is a wonderful fellow and all, but he is absurdly redundant on this team. He is a big, 5th-year WR who hasn't caught many NFL passes, like Kelly Washington; he is part of a backup corps of WR who are more known for their ST play than their WR play, like Washington, Ventrone & CJ Jones; and he is part of a ST group that cannot be trusted to take meaningful snaps at their respective positions, like Washington, Ventrone, Jones, Izzo, Alexander and Slater.

Sam I Am (not) Aiken brings absolutely nothing to the party that others haven't already provided. The sooner the FO realizes this mistake and comes to an injury settlement, or simply places him on IR, the better-off this team will be. We need a backup WR who has actually played as an NFL Wide Receiver.

I'm sure that Mr. Aiken is a wonderful fellow and all, but he is absurdly redundant on this team. He is a big, 5th-year WR who hasn't caught many NFL passes, like Kelly Washington; he is part of a backup corps of WR who are more known for their ST play than their WR play, like Washington, Ventrone & CJ Jones; and he is part of a ST group that cannot be trusted to take meaningful snaps at their respective positions, like Washington, Ventrone, Jones, Izzo, Alexander and Slater.

Sam I Am (not) Aiken brings absolutely nothing to the party that others haven't already provided. The sooner the FO realizes this mistake and comes to an injury settlement, or simply places him on IR, the better-off this team will be. We need a backup WR who has actually played as an NFL Wide Receiver.

If the Pats were going to IR Aiken wouldn't they have done it already? #4 and #5 WR's are ST players and that's what Aiken and Washington are. If you are trying to say that Aiken and Washington are similar style WR's you are correct in only one way, size. Aiken is a big WR who plays like a big WR, while Washington is a big WR that plays small. Aiken has enough quickness to gain separation on short to intermediate routes but has no deep speed. He is very strong as well. Washington is too inconsistent as a WR and he doesn't have even good hands. He is too unreliable for me as a WR, plus he is sloppy with his route running and has little understanding of coverages and what the D is trying to do to him. He is a much better ST player than a WR. I like Aiken better as a WR than Washington because he is more physical with the ball in his hands but overall I think both are adequate 4 or 5 WR's and solid ST players. I like CJ Jones as a WR better than both of these guys, he has more speed and he understands route running and the nuances of playing WR. He can set up defenders and gains separation vs zone and man. It seems like he can be dangerous in space and he is slippery after he makes the catch just like on punt or kick returns although I don't like how he is careless with the ball on occassion. I remember reading that Randy Moss thinks this kid can contribute as a WR, not saying that means everything but he should know if a player can offer some value as a WR in this league.

Last edited:

If Connolly is waived he will be scooped up by another team. LeVoir is destined for the PS after this week, he could use some time to develop and that's the best spot for him.

I agree with you on Slater and C.Jones comment.

Plus it gives a game check to practice squad players.

If the Pats were going to IR Aiken wouldn't they have done it already?
That's my read, too. He was hurt August 7. Surely they know by now the extent of his injury.

If the Pats were going to IR Aiken wouldn't they have done it already? #4 and #5 WR's are ST players and that's what Aiken and Washington are. If you are trying to say that Aiken and Washington are similar style WR's you are correct in only one way, size. Aiken is a big WR who plays like a big WR, while Washington is a big WR that plays small. Aiken has enough quickness to gain separation on short to intermediate routes but has no deep speed. He is very strong as well. Washington is too inconsistent as a WR and he doesn't have even good hands. He is too unreliable for me as a WR, plus he is sloppy with his route running and has little understanding of coverages and what the D is trying to do to him. He is a much better ST player than a WR. I like Aiken better as a WR than Washington because he is more physical with the ball in his hands but overall I think both are adequate 4 or 5 WR's and solid ST players.

Looks like the coaches like Aiken better as a WR as well:
Offensive participation for 2008 season - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

WR Sam Aiken -- 143 of 1102 (13 percent)
WR Kelley Washington -- 12 of 1102 (1 percent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots