PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Complaining about the draft: some perspectives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post this again:

FWIW, Rick Gosselin had Solder ranked as the 13th best player on his top 100. Most other had him in the top 20's.

He was not the player I wanted. But even the most dedicated draftnut has to keep in mind that, BB has forgotten more about selecting players while going tho the bathroom, then we draftnut's have ever known.

May I humbly suggest that BB wear diapers like that crazed female astronaut? Then with him not forgetting anymore maybe draftniks would get those guys picked that they lust after.

Last edited:
Well what does he know??? The experts, this board, the talking heads, my goats and I think the Pats need a top notch pass rusher.
Maybe BB ought to study up a little.:rolleyes:
Yes, Maybe he does need to study up a little, he would have realized that clay matthews can play. Guys like u think BB is the only one who knows football and everybody else is dumb. Example, the packers were hoodwinked by BB to trade to pick a guy who is not good. Matthews force fumble in the superbowl was the play that change the game. BTW, it was the same draft that we traded down to the second round and got Butler, and the homers here were telling us how we got the player we wanted anyway.
I am not a in bill we trust guy. He's not the only one who knows football. When others are high on certain players, i just don't dismiss their opinions because BB didnot pick the player. According to the homers on this board, the only good players in a draft are the ones picked by BB. This team needs elite talent to put it over the top, not just average players. By default, you are more likely to find elite players at the top of draft than in later rounds.

Last edited:
At Gillette early on during the draft Ivan Fears told the fans that the Pats rated 2 other RBs higher than Ingram FWIW

I wanted Ingram as well, but Nick Saban is BBs best friend.

Something is up. If Ingram was all that, Im quite certain BB would know.

Yes, Maybe he does need to study up a little, he would have realized that clay matthews can play. Guys like u think BB is the only one who knows football and everybody else is dumb. Example, the packers were hoodwinked by BB to trade to pick a guy who is not good. Matthews force fumble in the superbowl was the play that change the game. BTW, it was the same draft that we traded down to the second round and got Butler, and the homers here were telling us how got the player we wanted anyway.
I am not a in bill we trust guy. He's not the only one who knows football. When others are high on certain players, i just don't dismiss their opinions because BB did pick the player. According to the homers on this board, the only good players in a draft are the ones picked by BB. This team needs elite talent to put it over the top, not just average players. By default, you are more likely to find elite players at the top of draft than in later rounds.

You're writing as if Belichick didn't think Matthews was good. Who's to say he knew Matthews was good, but he thought McCourty was the better pick for the team?
Belichick probably had a handful of guys he thought were good when he picked, and he looked at what the Pats had at that position, and what else remained on the draft board. Given that the Pats took Cunningham pretty high in a later round, suggests Belichick thought it was a deep group and he could wait a bit on that position.

I wanted Ingram as well, but Nick Saban is BBs best friend.

Something is up. If Ingram was all that, Im quite certain BB would know.

Why does this have to be a knock on Ingram that the Pats didn't draft him? Maybe Belichick simply likes BJGE and Woodhead at RB.
Remember last year, the Pats traded out of Dez Bryant, who turned out to be really good. Just because Belichick didn't take a guy means he doesn't think that guy is a good player. It simply means he's choosing his resource allocation differently based on economic analysis.

Now that I've gotten some sleep and had more time to ruminate, the more I think we came off pretty damn well.

Assuming that BB knows what he's doing re: Solder, that's a potential franchise tackle. Not only that, but it keeps said tackle away from the Colts, who we all know are desperate for help on their line.

Then we absolutely jobbed the Saints with the trade down. Three picks in the second round? Work is going to absolutely suck today because all I can think about is the draft at 6.

Why does this have to be a knock on Ingram that the Pats didn't draft him? Maybe Belichick simply likes BJGE and Woodhead at RB.
Remember last year, the Pats traded out of Dez Bryant, who turned out to be really good. Just because Belichick didn't take a guy means he doesn't think that guy is a good player. It simply means he's choosing his resource allocation differently based on economic analysis.

We will get a RB, it'll just be in the lower rounds for maximum value. It's almost never good value to take a RB in the first round because of how short their careers are and the fact that you have to have at least 2 or more RBs on your roster.

Yes, Maybe he does need to study up a little, he would have realized that clay matthews can play. Guys like u think BB is the only one who knows football and everybody else is dumb. Example, the packers were hoodwinked by BB to trade to pick a guy who is not good. Matthews force fumble in the superbowl was the play that change the game. BTW, it was the same draft that we traded down to the second round and got Butler, and the homers here were telling us how we got the player we wanted anyway.
I am not a in bill we trust guy. He's not the only one who knows football. When others are high on certain players, i just don't dismiss their opinions because BB didnot pick the player. According to the homers on this board, the only good players in a draft are the ones picked by BB. This team needs elite talent to put it over the top, not just average players. By default, you are more likely to find elite players at the top of draft than in later rounds.

Your problem is that you way overrate how good Matthews really is.

Green Bay has an outstanding secondary and defensive players in their prime.

The players and scheme allow Matthews to excel. Matthews doesn't make that defense.

Once you accept reality, you will be much better off.

Noticed a lot of whining and complaints about what we did tonight. Very few understand the value of piling up 2nd round picks (there is a huge dropoff between 1st round and 2nd round salaries).

Explaining it won't help. Some people just aren't that bright.

Essentially, he's turned a 2005 1st round pick into about 6 2nd round picks, and a 2012 first round pick. Thats a HUGE win in my book.

Its kind of like he's saved up a bunch of money (extra 1sts), and is now living off the interest (the 2nd rounders they spit out)

O.K. I admit i was one of the people complaining about Solder. I wanted a Defensive End or an OLB, and in my anger and diasapointment about passing up getting one of the top DE's i was a over the top in what i posted. Now that being said this team was #1 in offense and close to the bottom as far as passsing defense went. Last night was a rare oppertunity, we were in a position to take just about any defensive player we wanted by moving up just a couple of spots, or staying put. While i have said that we needed O-line help i was thinking more interior line. Nate Solder bettter play well, and if in the fall you find yourself yelling at the TV "How could (insert QB name) have so much time to throw the ball, We need to get a top flight pass rusher" well..........

Nate Solder was rated the 23rd overall prospect in the 2011 NFL Draft according to NFL Draft Scout.

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

I don't see where you get that Nate Solder was rated a second or third round draft pick?

To those complaining about my post - I wasn't down on Solder. I was just giving my observations of what happens every year - the experts and fans who don't follow the draft (or more accurately, the players available in the draft) think the pick stinks or is a reach, but in a few years BB & co. prove them wrong. That's all I was saying. Just a casual observation folks, that's it.

Every year it's the same. We fans hope for a big splash and we are underwhelmed when the Pats pick somebody that all the "experts" have in the 2nd or 3rd round and that no one was thinking about. Tomorrow the Pats will be in the "reach" or "draft losers" column of all the "experts" Two years from now they will be in the "steal of the draft" column and the player at issue will be in the "perennial pro bowler" category.

I know this is not exactly how it goes, but this is what happens a lot. Somehow it always works out, at least in the BB era. Let's see how it goes.

Yes, Chad Jackson,Darius Butler, Ron Brace,Brandon Tate, T-McKenzie,Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable are perennial all pros and probowlers, and steal of the draft material:D

Yes, Chad Jackson,Darius Butler, Ron Brace,Brandon Tate, T-McKenzie,Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable are perennial all pros and probowlers, and steal of the draft material:D

Yes, but as I said, it always works out somehow. You win some, you lose some. That is the essence of the draft. Our team's records over the last 10 years show we are doing something right somewhere.

Posts like this are why sarcasm has such a bad reputation.

Nate Solder was the 2nd highest rated OT. Some teams, including the Colts had him at #1.

I know he was rated highly but how do you know the Colts had him as no.1?

Because it very well could be Ingrams knee wont hold up.

And, there is no doubt that NE needs a RB.

Remember last year, the Pats traded out of Dez Bryant, who turned out to be really good.

You cannot be serious will all the problems Bryant had last season and this off season.

Head case.

Just because Belichick didn't take a guy means he doesn't think that guy is a good player. It simply means he's choosing his resource allocation differently based on economic analysis.

In other words, Ingram is no better than the RBs that will fall into the 2nd round so why not pick up an extra pick and select a guy like him later.

I still don't see BB drafting a RB. He likes his vets at that position and he has two younger guys in BJGE and Woodhead. Wouldn't be surprised to see Faulk back next year which leaves two positions at most available. Add in Sammy Morris who could well be back as the 5th guy and then that leaves one slot open. There are lots of UFA RBs out there this year so I will not be surprised if they don't draft one. I think he will take a punt on one late in the draft but I will not be surprised if there is no addition by the end of the picks tonight.

Last edited:
I think my man Kevin has one good year left in him. Hope to see him come back and leave with a ring. Clutch 3rd down guy. A Brady binkie.

I know he was rated highly but how do you know the Colts had him as no.1?

It's not me who "knew" the Colts had him at no. 1

A few media draftniks reported it; some on twitter IIRC.

I place BB in the top 2 or 3 coaches of all time and think he's damn good at moving around during the draft, but at the same time don't understand the in Bill we trust attitude that is so prevalent on this board. I like Solder and think Dante will do a good job with him. But I would have preferred that they take their highest D-lineman like or even trade up for a Quinn and keep th 28th and take a tackle like carimi or Sherod. I wanted them to grab a first round tackle, but by far I think they need help at end and OLB. We'll see I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back