PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Competition Committee??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like there's nothing good about people with agenda's making the rules?

Why should the Colts ( Bill Polian ) and the Titans ( Jeff Fisher ) be represented, but not the Patriots ?

When and how are these people 'elected' or 'selected' or whatever and how can we get a Patriots representative on there? In my opinion, it's leading to no good to have Polian, not even a coach, so involved, with his manic, obsessive-compulsive emotionally unstable need to find an advantage somehow ona committee that influences rules and referees. The Patriots need to address this situation. They probably can't get that sad, sick man of the committee, but they must have the power to get a Patriots representative on, can't they? It seems obvious to me that events are being influenced by this tard's over-the-top influence - which appears way stronger than should be normal or expected. We need some checks and balances here, to limit how far this nonsense continues to perpetrate itself.

What are our options?

Re: Competition Committee ??

while the other teams are trying to change the rules, BB and the Pats are actually game planning. I think it is funny how Polian spends all his time trying to screw teams (Pats). the competion committee is for the betterment of the game, not your individual agenda.

while the other teams are trying to change the rules, BB and the Pats are actually game planning. I think it is funny how Polian spends all his time trying to screw teams (Pats). the competion committee is for the betterment of the game, not your individual agenda.

right, but since he uses ut that way, that has what it has become - a tool to assist his team.
something needs to be done.

You have to understand the rules to be on the committee. Not ask for interpretations on everything.

You have to understand the rules to be on the committee. Not ask for interpretations on everything.

Ooooo....any chance in real life you're a lawyer?

ha ha ha ha ha

your so witty!

I can see why your here now, to spend your valuable time insulting fans of a football team that just beat the team your a fan of. great.
you've got it all together.

just by being a fan of the dolts, your exposed as a complete fool.
your small mined attempts to insult just provide further amusement to those not making babies in the bible belt amd eating pork sandwiches.
you got a peyton shirt? sure ya do.

The NFL really needs to change how the system works. There's no way the head of the competition committee should be a GM of one of the franchises. Talk about a conflict of interest!

Its funny that due to Manning's whining and the media the Pats have got the reputation of being the benefactor of refs calls over the years. And thats based on a correct (though, lucky) interpretation of the tuck rule and some borderline contact on a handful of plays in a playoff game where the Pats absolutely dominated the Colts. On the other hand the Colts have benefited from a ridiculous amount of obvious bad/non-calls in critical situations in seemingly every big game they have played over the past 2/3 years. Last years playoffs, this game, the Pitt playoff game... when is the league going to wake up and do something about this?

Restructure the competition committee and remove team reps. Or add a rep for every team in the NFL.

I agree. and how long do people keep their positions? for life?
there's something definately wrong with this picture.
goodell is losing all credibility with me.
he's looking more and more like someone that says one thing and doesn another. I think he's trying to manipulate things, and not fixing real problems.
why is trvis henry's suspension appeal meeting taking a month to schedule?
kraft is supposedly a very influential owner. well, let's see that influence at work.

look at dictionary.com, go to the thesaurus....

under synonyms of competition committee, are the following

joker committee, hypocritical group.....

couple more as well, chekc em out

Agreed, how can anyone not see the inherent conflict of interest in team executives and coaches dictating rule changes from a mile away?

ROTFLMELMFAOUIPMPAPFOOMB!!!

Agreed, how can anyone not see the inherent conflict of interest in team executives and coaches dictating rule changes from a mile away?

Absolutely. It's an appalling, ridiculous conflict of interest. I have no idea why more isn't made of this.

Shula was on the CC for years..tilting in Miami's favor the whole time...NO..it is NOT fair at all.....adn Goodell NEEDS to address this pronto!!! What is needed is to rotate positions on the CC so that GMs/Coaches/ others who represent teams do NOT make changes that help their own teams...In other words rotate the CC so that all teams are represented over time and that NO one team OR groups of teams dominate the way things are now. THAT this practice is hardly is but one reason to stop it.
I wonder if Goodell has the guts to do this?? Should we ALL e-mail Goodell?? I mean he DID say things should be fair and balanced..so???
Acc to Reiss....."The NFL's competition committee includes Titans coach Jeff Fisher (co-chairman), Falcons general manager Rich McKay (co-chairman), Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, Giants executive vice president/CEO John Mara, Lions general manager Matt Millen, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, Colts president Bill Polian and Panthers president Mark Richardson."
Hmmm...8 teams represented?? SOo...every year or two years..maybe on a staggered basis..positions change...so that ALL teams are represented.

The owners own the league so they're going to want to put their representitives on the committee. But they should rotate membership. Me thinks Polian's time on the committee is running out, but that's just a hunch.

I remember *****ing about this committee way back when Don Shula was a member while he was still a coach for the Dolphins.
As I understood it, Shula did not particularly care for the way Ben Coates was making his catches up in New England. Ben used this maneuver where he would push off a defender to get a pass. Voila! Now we have the Push off rule.
Killed Ben's career. I could be wrong about this. I would love to hear an opinion from one of the older posters on this, who remembers the Parcells era.

I think BB is very adverse to most rule changes and believes a committee certainly isn't needed.
But I think the OP is right. All teams should be represented. Even if the rep is a ballboy. Just a voice speaking for the team.

The owners own the league so they're going to want to put their representitives on the committee. But they should rotate membership. Me thinks Polian's time on the committee is running out, but that's just a hunch.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Polian to leave, Pujo.
Shula served a lifetime on that committee.
As long as Polian thinks he can gain an advantage by being a member of the CC, he will be sticking around.

Absolutely Shula ruled and tilted all in the Fins favor...This was done from way way back...early 70s even...but I think it grew worse as time went on. I agree in this era of changes..sometimes NO change is the best. And when Polien made changes for offense, the basic emphasis on pass interference, he was doing it for his team...of course. BB if anything is taking it to the extreme now with teh receivers that the Pats have. Abnd the lemmings that thought..OH Offense so so good...went along with all the changes..and look..see?? NO parity at all...QBs (the better ones) are ruling and the D?? NO chance.. But I agree rotate representatives..so that all teams have a say over time. It's ashame that this has NEVER gotten as much pub as needed...I think Holley talked about this once..I know I have e-mailed him a few times and I think he agrees. But Goodell??? It makes it fair..which is why he will NOT do it.

There is no compensation for the work done by the competition committee. It's more or less a plum influence job for those with time to waste shmoozing and coniving amongst themselves kinda like the senate...

Bill wants no part of that. Unfortunately allowing the committee to be essentially appointed randomly for as long as they remain actively employed in the position they held when they were appointed is not the way to go. When Holmgren resigned (in part because he was so steamed after the officiating in XL) the league gave that plum slot to first year HC Marvin Lewis for showing such genius in turning the Bungles around...:rolleyes:

The Committee needs to be staggered 2 year terms which each team fills in rotation. And they should advise about in game rules and regulations only. Why you would consult them regarding penalties for procedural rules violations at the executive level is beyond me. They should serve under an employed NFL official who as chair of the committee serves as the conduit between the team reps and the league office. That should be someone like Perriera - a former referee. Where is Bernie Kukar these days, he wouldn't be afraid to flag Polian when he "fallz" up the committee trying to push an agenda.

Also, who do you think the committee confers with when they need a new "interpretation" of a rule (Iron Man level irony that the Colts fan should use that word).

The referees. They confer with the referees, maybe buy them lunch, have a few beverages, you know "bond".:mad:

Last edited:

There is no compensation for the work done by the competition committee. It's more or less a plum influence job for those with time to waste shmoozing and coniving amongst themselves kinda like the senate...

Bill wants no part of that. Unfortunately allowing the committee to be essentially appointed randomly for as long as they remain actively employed in the position they held when they were appointed is not the way to go. When Holmgren resigned (in part because he was so steamed after the officiating in XL) the league gave that plum slot to first year HC Marvin Lewis for showing such genius in turning the Bungles around...:rolleyes:

The Committee needs to be staggered 2 year terms which each team fills in rotation. And they should advise about in game rules and regulations only. Why you would consult them regarding penalties for procedural rules violations at the executive level is beyond me. They should serve under an employed NFL official who as chair of the committee serves as the conduit between the team reps and the league office. That should be someone like Perriera - a former referee. Where is Bernie Kukar these days, he wouldn't be afraid to flag Polian when he "fallz" up the committee trying to push an agenda.
the idea for staggered terms is good...not sure about what they should do about officiating. To me that is another separate issue that the league needs to deal with. THAT is a can of worms in itself..Perriera?? Yuk...no thanks..more part of the problem there..

Don't hold your breath waiting for Polian to leave, Pujo.
Shula served a lifetime on that committee.
As long as Polian thinks he can gain an advantage by being a member of the CC, he will be sticking around.
As long as he has a choice, he'll be sticking around. I have a feeling his being on the committee is going to get some more focus this year, and the owners may decide to elect some fresh blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes