Welcome to PatsFans.com

Comparison of rookie receivers

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NEPettyOfficer72, Sep 28, 2013.

1. NEPettyOfficer72

NEPettyOfficer72 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Compare 2002 drafties Deion Branch and David Givens to 2013 drafties of Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins (undrafted) and Josh Boyce

Who has more talent, athleticism, big play ability, ceiling and upside?

When using comparisons, don't use success or popularity but focus solely on individual's ability.
  2. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Dobson and thompkins can be the patriots version of nicks and cruz.

Deion Branch in his prime was a trooper, but he had a knack for vanishing during games in the season.
  3. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,317 / 13 / -5

Far too early to make these comparisons. Dobson and Thompkins have been more productive than Branch and Givens in each pair's first three games of their career, but part is out of neccessity and the fact that Brady is a far better QB than he was in 2002.

Personally, I think the current WRs have more upside than the ones in 2002. That said, I don't know if they will reach it. Dobson burns coverage often. If he and Brady can get on the same page more, Dobson has the potential to be a top WR in the league. Not Megatron or Fitzgerald good, but somewhere in the second tier under them.
  4. NEPettyOfficer72

NEPettyOfficer72 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that physically, athletically, talent wise and big play ability wise those three young receivers are superior to the 2002 group by far. Looks like Dobson gets open OFTEN and Thompkins has attributes that remind me of a young Chad Johnson without the baggage.
  5. Brady6

Brady6 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1,461 / 118 / -159

#12 Jersey

In regards to what type contributors they’ll be at the NFL it is premature to compare Dobson, Boyce or Thompkins to any former Patriots wide receivers.

If you want to compare them on athletic metrics and player profile I would matchup up like this:

• Dobson vs. Randy Moss = advantage Moss
    • Thompkins vs. Terry Glenn = even
    • Boyce vs. Deion Branch = advantage Boyce

Once again these comparisons are solely based on workout numbers and not an indication of performance.
  6. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake On the Roster

Ratings:
    +457 / 19 / -15

#95 Jersey

Jesus Christ, Thompkins will never be close to Cruz.

The homerism is sickening.

I'll be disappointed if Boyce doesn't surpass Thompkins at some point later this year. Boyce actually has a similar height-weight-speed as Victor Cruz, and very similar build. Thompkins looks closer to Brandon Lloyd from last year. Possession Receiver who goes down before he gets hit.
  7. Brady6

Brady6 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1,461 / 118 / -159

#12 Jersey

I don’t see a lot of Chad Johnson in Thompkins personally, Johnson was more of an outside straight line type player and Thompkins in my opinion does his best work over the middle and intermediately.

As far as baggage goes Thompkins comes with as much baggage as dating aqua mom.

I think the hope is he has moved past that but to say he comes with less baggage than Johnson who had no arrests on his record when he was in New England is overstated.

Everything To Prove: The Kenbrell Thompkins Story - The News Record: Sports
  8. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I remember when patriots fans said tom brady (who couldn't throw for more than 10 yards) would lose his job once bledsoe recovers :rolleyes:
  9. MrNathanDrake

Ratings:
    +457 / 19 / -15

#95 Jersey

Different times, different positions.

Thompkins doesn't have the speed or physicality to ever be like Victor Cruz.
  10. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, you misunderstood me.
    cruz = dobson
    nicks = thompkins
  11. Wax Frog

Wax Frog Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

La Vieja Cruz Rugosa? :D
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +748 / 6 / -11

#75 Jersey

I was afraid Dobson was a dud, but he's looking good and has great physical potential. I also like Thompkins as a versatile talent.

However, Branch did it, while those two are still potential. There's no way to compare, at this point. Will they be Super Bowl MVPs? Maybe. Could be out of football in a year too. You can tell yourself whatever story you want.

Boyce is simply a question mark at this point, not even worth considering.
  13. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +686 / 6 / -2

#95 Jersey

Doesn't even know the playbook yet...not a good sign
  14. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +748 / 6 / -11

#75 Jersey

He's simply not gotten emphasis, I wouldn't worry about it. He knows it better than a multiple all pro did.
  15. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

boyce should be returning kicks until he gets the playbook.
  16. Coach42

Coach42 Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 8 / -12

#87 Jersey

I have to say I was pretty concerned about Dobson pre season but his last two performances have been encouraging. He seems to be able to get open pretty consistently and fights off the jam pretty well.
  17. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

The Twig was a monster in training camp and went on to produce in the regular season. Became a SB MVP. We should only wish for one of these rooks.

That said, WAY too early. Might just as well use college results and height/weight/speed #s. Useless.

Branch was a smurf, my size. Givens a bigger guy, RB experience.

Boyce comes closest to The Twig but bigger & faster. Didn't pick up the O like Branch did though.
  18. Hael

Hael Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0

Very different type of receiver. KT is a better outside or possession receiver than Cruz but less good than Nicks obviously, Cruz is only really good in the slot. KT is longer and has a more effortless stride whereas Cruz is quicker, stronger and has that great after the catch burst. KT on the oher hand has ridiculously good release. Terry Glenn is a good comparison.

KT has been consistently open in the first three games, and has shredded Revis and Cromartie several times. This despite likely running the wrong routes several times, and has dropped some balls, but make no mistake he's shown a great deal of talent in getting open.
  19. Hael

Hael Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0

Branch had completely elite agility in his prime. The guy could stop and turn on a dime, which made him a sort of a outside possession receiver with some slot like qualities. Boyce, KT and Dobson will never have that. The flip side is they all have more pure speed, length and leverage/hops.
  20. MrNathanDrake

Ratings:
    +457 / 19 / -15

#95 Jersey

That's an even worse comparison.

Atleast Cruz and Thompkins are both undrafted... so they have that one thing in common.

Nicks is one of the better WR's in the league when he's fully healthy. Thompkins hasn't shown anything to compare him to Nicks at this point. We are lucky if Thompkins even turns out to be as good as Brandon Lloyd was last year.