Welcome to PatsFans.com

Comparing the '07 Patriots and the '98 Vikings

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Xzibit23, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xzibit23

Xzibit23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good read and interesting insight from Denny Green. Nothing that hasn't been talked about over here but good read nonetheless.
  2. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 19 / -8

#18 Jersey

Makes you think... would Patriot history have changed if they had selected Randy Moss rather than Robert Edwards with the 18th pick that year? I was clamoring for it, but they took Edwards, who had a great rookie campaign then had one of the most freakish career-ending (well, more or less, he somehow came back and now is one of the better players in the CFL) injuries ever... but would Bledsoe-to-Moss (with Terry Glenn as well) have made a difference in those Carroll years?
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

"He is who we thought he is"
  4. Xzibit23

Xzibit23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Statistically speaking as an offense it would've made a huge difference and he would probably make those .500 Carroll/Bledsoe teams into superbowl contenders, much the same way he changed an average '97 Vikings team into SB contenders. Its hard to compare Randy Moss' impact as a rookie cause he was so explosive and was everybit the definition of a freak, but also because WRs usually take a couple of years to become great, there are growing pains at that position.

As for his maturity issues, there's really no way to tell how that would've played out. Moss is behavior, unlike TO, has been directly related to the environment around him so there's no way to tell.
  5. MichaelL

MichaelL Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually it's good that this Patriots team is drawing out the comparisons to the '98 Vikings. That year was full of such highs and the huge low at the end. I'm not sure the Minnesota fans have ever recovered from that. I know that I personally haven't. If the Vikings had gone on to win the Super Bowl, that team would be on everyone's short-list of "greatest" NFL teams of all-time. Instead, they were overshadowed and forgotten during the Rams years and the so-called "Greatest show on turf" and later relegated to being the answer to a minor sports trivia question. Yep I was glad when the underdog Pats beat the Rams in 2001.

In some twisted, fanboy logic, because Randy Moss is here in New England, I kinda feel like this is a 2nd chance for a part of our poor '98 team. The Pats running the table and winning the SB won't give us Vikings fans a championship, but somehow I think I'll feel a little better. Kinda strange, huh? Does this make any sense to any other Minnesota fan here? Xzibit?
  6. Xzibit23

Xzibit23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hah..I definetely feel the same way man. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm living vicariously through the Patriots this year. If the Pats do win and Moss gets his ring, it will right a couple wrongs in my book. Still wont take away the sting of '98 though, that loss to Atlanta gutted me up, it really did.
  7. MichaelL

MichaelL Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. As an analogy for the New Englanders, that loss '98 to the Falcons was to Minnesota, probably something akin to the Buckner thing with the Red Sox and that grounder. Yep I am definitely living vicarious through these Patriots as well.
  8. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 10 / -8

For me it was like the effin Ben Dreith call...
  9. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 19 / -8

#18 Jersey

Those Carroll/Bledsoe teams were always in the playoffs, they just didn't have IT enough to go far. Who was the RB back then? I think Terry Allen was running for us after Edwards was done.

I think Moss would've made a big difference on the field. But I also think that one of the main problems with Carroll as a coach was that he was too nice a guy, too soft a personality (kind of like Denny Green... but that's why Carroll should stay at USC, an extremely stable job, and recruiting and running a college team favors his own personality). Bledsoe was never a true leader, either, which was why he did better under Parcells... the Carroll era lacked a leader, and I doubt Carroll would have been able to keep a young, immature Moss under control. But I think it would've made a big impact on the team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.