Raiders
ATL

Pats
Jets
DEN
Giants
DAL
Pitt

Not great, but not cupcake. I consider the only real layups going in were the Chiefs and Colts games.

I've seen enough of NO in a dome this year. I really think they would hang 40 on us if we make it to Indy. Fortunately, I can't see them going on the road and beating both SF and GB. Brees's arm is not strong enough to be accurate in the type of conditions he is likely to face in those venues.

Here's the problem:

In order to play either GB or NO, the Pats will need to make it through a couple of HOU, BAL, PIT, NYJ. These teams have good pass defenses and the ability to disrupt the Pats' offense. On the flip side, the Pats D is laughably bad. Quite frankly, I don't think the chances of getting to the big game are very good. Stranger things have happened though.

Here's the problem:

In order to play either GB or NO, the Pats will need to make it through a couple of HOU, BAL, PIT, NYJ. These teams have good pass defenses and the ability to disrupt the Pats' offense. On the flip side, the Pats D is laughably bad. Quite frankly, I don't think the chances of getting to the big game are very good. Stranger things have happened though.

Is this a joke?:confused:

Should be an interesting tournament. 3 great offenses (NE,NO,GB)and 3 good defenses (Pitt, Balt, SF). It is going to be a tough run no matter what and belichik is going to have tro pulla decent play-off defense out of his ass to really give them a shot at winning the SB. I'm pretty confident they can get through the AFC, although it won't be easy by any means, but beating NO, or GB in the SB would be really tough, I think they would handle SF if they both reached it.

our defense could always pull a Colts 2006

edit: the comparisons are actually there with the starting safeties missing real time but being back for playoffs w/ sanders & chung

Last edited:
I've said it once and I'll say it again, NE would have a slim to no chance against GB/NO in the Super Bowl.

I don't care what the stats say. NO/GB both have QB's that are playing at a higher level than Brady and both teams have more weapons on offense. Remember that NO Monday night game a few years back? It'd be a repeat of that game.

I can only imagine what Brees/Rodgers would do to the scrubs we have playing in the secondary.

I think that the 2001 Team had much less of a chance against the "Greatest Show on Turf"...

edit: the comparisons are actually there with the starting safeties missing real time but being back for playoffs w/ sanders & chung

If we play San Fransisco

Alex Smith= Rex Grossman

That will not be an option with Rodgers or Brees.

The key will be which team is more applicable for a creative gameplan.

The concept that, "defense wins championchips" is the dumbest axiom in sports.

What is important (Pats 2001, Giants 2007) is can they execute a great gameplan against that opponent.

Green Bay appears to be the "easier" target at the moment.

I think that the 2001 Team had much less of a chance against the "Greatest Show on Turf"...

It's not even close, that Rams team was thought to be unbeatable going in.

Well, if Chung comes back and has the kind of impact Sanders did for the '06 Colts, sure, our chances go up. A lot. I'm with you in spirit, but I'm not quite sure the comparison holds.

Well, if Chung comes back and has the kind of impact Sanders did for the '06 Colts, sure, our chances go up. A lot. I'm with you in spirit, but I'm not quite sure the comparison holds.

player for player, i would agree, but along with spikes and such, i believe such a transformation MAY happen....its not unknown off

in

Question on the Saints.

As the proverbial "dome team", do you feel it's the Superdome or domes in general?

Also, what exactly happened in St Louis this year?

That is really a great question, because dome teams and field teams always get mixed together, and its not an accurate way to figure out a trend. Its better to look specially at the coach, QB, or team to see how they do indoors or outdoors.

I think you could say the Colts are the ultimate dome type team with PM, and coach included. 17pts in florida SB, and countless low scoring games in Foxboro.

The SuperDome pretty much had to be built in the 1960's,because the humidity, heat, mosquitos, and constant summer storms. LSU and Trulane just don't have the money to do it. After all the city is in a swamp.

I can't speak to other dome teams, but we are not affected by being indoors , outdoors, the sun, wind, or rain. We put 36 pts on Seattle in Jan in 20-30 degree weather, and we all saw the GB vs NO opener this year. So there is no problem scoring in those environments.
Our problem is field conditions, and extreme cold -10 degrees, icy or muddy field. 2006 vs Bears ( -15 degrees, they resodded the field before the game, and never covered it, so the the field froze over ). Caddlestick park has a bad field conditions, its very muddy and damp. Ericsson Stadium...etc..

To answer your question, Saints can play in any dome or outside. As long as we have a decent football field , and don't loose footing, because we are built as a brutal speed and short play team that aims at mismatches. So when we play someone like the raven, bears, steelers, etc.. old hard nose defenses , its similar to a expert fencer fighting a talented Boxer :) , your not going to get close enough to lay a punch.
Now you make them both fight in knee deep water and we have a problem :)
I believe every warm weather team is affected by -minus degree weather regardless of how they try to spin it. Its a blood thing.
I lived in NE and florida, and even in florida after 3 years, when winter hit and it got to 60 degrees, I almost froze to death starting my car,lol. The blood changes.
Brees isn't affected by weather or field conditions , but our team is and that affects his passing, because we can't get separation, push the line, protect, etc..
our mismatches become useless.

Rams,,, hmm,, new right tackle , center, so Zach strife, David thomas were also out 2 of our best blockers, graham still doesn't block well. There still isn't a excuse for it. It was a complete OL melt down. Brees was sacked 6 times I believe.
The new OL really didn't start to gel until after that game. Losing our center goodwin to SF and stinchcomb RT, had a bigger impact than we thought.
The OL looked confused at times. No time to pass, and no run game.
Its a problem with SP's complicated plays. You can't just plug someone into OL and expect them to pick it up, especially with no training camp.
But, I prefer to see the Rams game as another defensive melt down, like seattle.
they should have been able to keep the Rams, with a 2nd string QB, to 24pts, thats just silly. Problem with Gregg Williams is that he can call a brilliant defensive games (steelers 20-10, Falcons game MNF, Colts, Giants, etc.. ), and then he can call 1-2 real stinkers a season. He's a little arrogant and I think that rubs off on our defensive players and they get a little arrogant vs easy teams, and then they get torched.

hope that helps

interesting year old article on dome teams
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/02/02/verducci.domes/index.html

Last edited:
Really only comes down to TWO key objectives for the Pats...Start FAST and score a lot of points. 2) Defense needs to NOT have an EPIC collapse in the 4th quarter.

We are talking about a team here that got SHUT OUT in the first HALF by the Miami Doofins. Pats looked flat,uncoordinated, no confidence, poorly coached etc. You better not come out like that against NO and GB. I honestly don't think we can hang with either of these two. But like someone said we need to focus on AFC playoffs right now. Going to be really tough to get past Pitt and Balt.....I just don't see our D being able to pull it all together this year.....esp secondary. If the offense comes out slow and sluggish in the playoffs....its over.....

These three teams interest me in terms of comparison. Most experts argue that GB is the clear favorite to win it all, and that NO is probably the most complete team, but most folks seem to think that, while Brady gives them a chance, their defense really is so bad as to make a championship not much more than a pipe dream. So let's put that to the test and compare the three teams.

OFFENSE
Yds/G
NO - 456.7 (#1)
NE - 424.5 (#2)
GB - 395.5 (#5)

Pass Yds/G
NO - 331.4 (#1)
NE - 316.1 (#2)
GB - 297.0 (#3)

Pass Y/A
NO - 8.2 (#5)
NE - 8.5 (#2)
GB - 9.2 (#1)

QB Rating
NO - 109.0 (#2)
NE - 105.1 (#3)
GB - 120.9 (#1)

Rush Yds/G
NO - 125.4 (#10)
NE - 108.4 (#20)
GB - 98.5 (#27)

Rush Y/A
NO - 4.7 (#6)
NE - 4.0 (#22)
GB - 4.0 (#21)

3rd Down %
NO - 54.8% (#1)
NE - 45.6% (#4)
GB - 48.0% (#2)

Points Per Game
NO - 32.6 (#2)
NE - 30.9 (#3)
GB - 34.3 (#1)

TO/G
NO - 1.1 (#4)
NE - 1.1 (#3)
GB - 0.8 (#2)

Red Zone Efficiency
NO - 57.1 (#8)
NE - 64.2 (#3)
GB - 65.1 (#2)

Time of Possession
NO - 31:51 (#5)
NE - 28.44 (#25)
GB - 30:24 (#12)

oSRS (profootball-reference.com)
NO - 9.7 (#2)
NE - 8.7 (#3)
GB - 11.0 (#1)

DEFENSE
Yds/G
NO - 366.1 (#25)
NE - 412.1 (#32)
GB - 400.7 (#31)

Pass Yds/G
NO - 256.1 (#28)
NE - 294.7 (#32)
GB - 286.3 (#31)

Pass Y/A
NO - 7.1 (#15)
NE - 8.2 (#29)
GB - 7.7 (#26)

QB Rating
NO - 86.4 (#23)
NE - 88.2 (#26)
GB - 78.3 (#8)

Rush Yds/G
NO - 109.9 (#12)
NE - 117.5 (#17)
GB - 114.4 (#16)

Rush Y/A
NO - 4.9 (#30)
NE - 4.6 (#25)
GB - 4.7 (#26)

3rd Down %
NO - 32.8 (#5)
NE - 44.1 (#29)
GB - 42.9 (#28)

TO/G
NO - 0.9 (#32)
NE - 2.0 (#4)
GB - 2.3 (#2)

Red Zone Efficiency
NO - 64.7% (#31)
NE - 53.5% (#18)
GB - 53.1% (#17)

dSRS (profootball-reference.com)
NO - 0.0 (#18)
NE - 0.0 (#18)
GB - 0.8 (#15)

The overall profile of Green Bay and New England couldn't be more similar. Not in every exact category, obviously, but in the vast majority. It seems to me that it's clear that NE is the #3 team of this group, but it's a lot closer than people would like to think.

Interestingly, NO probably has the best overall statistical profile. But they'll have to go on the road to beat Green Bay (assuming both teams advance that far), and NE would at least get GB (or NO, of course) on a neutral field.

Is this a joke?:confused:

Seems like a pretty realistic post to me.....what in it do you find fault with (well other than the Jests making the playoffs....that sh!t ain't happening!) But the rest is pretty accurate imho...

I've seen enough of NO in a dome this year. I really think they would hang 40 on us if we make it to Indy. Fortunately, I can't see them going on the road and beating both SF and GB. Brees's arm is not strong enough to be accurate in the type of conditions he is likely to face in those venues.

Well, we'd likely put up 40 on the Saints too, by that logic. Brady actually performs better indoors than Brees does.

Really only comes down to TWO key objectives for the Pats...Start FAST and score a lot of points. 2) Defense needs to NOT have an EPIC collapse in the 4th quarter.

We are talking about a team here that got SHUT OUT in the first HALF by the Miami Doofins. Pats looked flat,uncoordinated, no confidence, poorly coached etc. You better not come out like that against NO and GB. I honestly don't think we can hang with either of these two. But like someone said we need to focus on AFC playoffs right now. Going to be really tough to get past Pitt and Balt.....I just don't see our D being able to pull it all together this year.....esp secondary. If the offense comes out slow and sluggish in the playoffs....its over.....

1. Was Week 16 against the Dolphins the playoff? Also, did you miss the........second half?

2. EPIC collapse in the 4th quarter? What were you smoking to think that one up?

3. "Our D being able to pull it all together........?" What does that mean? Did you watch the past two weeks?

Your problem is not anything inherent in the team. It centers more on your inability to process and evaluate what is on the field.

Seems like a pretty realistic post to me.....what in it do you find fault with (well other than the Jests making the playoffs....that sh!t ain't happening!) But the rest is pretty accurate imho...

Yeah, I know. I just read your earlier post.

GB has barely played any good teams.

If the Giants beat the Cowboys, then GB will have played all the NFC playoff teams apart from San Fran. And beaten them. Three of them in away games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back