Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you feel about Cassel, Cutler trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the contract situation - CUTLER IS BETTER.

The Pats cap issues aside:

Cutler has only been available for trade for a couple of days, and several teams were actively pursuing him according to all reports. Cassel was available for a few weeks or so, iirc, and apparently didn't generate anywhere near the same level of interest. In fact, other than KC, the only teams [supposedly] interested in Cassel, were reportedly only interested in using him to acquire Cutler, anyway. Based on that, I can't imagine that the Pats would have garnered anywhere near the same return for Cassel as Denver did for Cutler, whether they had waited any longer or not.

Last edited:
You think so? He sounds like a head case to me. I've never heard of someone making so much noise because his OC was fired. You really think he can handle it? He even had his parents living near him in Denver,that says something.

You think so? He sounds like a head case to me. I've never heard of someone making so much noise because his OC was fired. You really think he can handle it? He even had his parents living near him in Denver,that says something.
The reaction was weird but a talent like that is rare, I think the vast majority of NFL people would take Cutler over Cassel. How will Cutler do with those WR, that's uncertain.

I voted the Broncos got too much and the Pats didn't get enough. Belichick basically admitted that if he waited that he probably could have gotten more, but the question is whether the dozen or so spots to move up would have been worth either paying Vrabel his $1 million or letting him go and sign with the Jets or Browns. I don't think the Broncos would have sent everything they got in a three way deal from Tampa to the Pats for Cassel.

Although I am not high on Cutler, he does have a Pro Bowl and gaudy passing yards. That makes him more valuable than Cassel who was perceived as part of a system more than someone who could go anywhere. There were clearly more teams interested in Cutler, from the outside a lot more. That drove up his price. I doubt the Bears would have even given up a first rounder for Cassel since they weren't even rumored to be interested.

There were just a lot of teams who believe Cutler could be one of the great top teir QBs out there and they aren't as sure about Cassel.

You can't compare them because Cutler didn't come with a $15M bill.

Exactly!

On another note:

Denver = Dallas and Chicago = Minnesota - this is like the Herschel Walker trade all over again. How did that turn out for Minny and for Dallas?

Again, BF spreads wisdom. That is exactly the point. The Patriots were on the hook for Cassel's bill and one of the bidders for his services was Scott Pioli. That pretty much states why there is such inbalance between the two trades.

I feel fine about it. Nice job, Josh! Ditching "cry me a river" Cutler for 2 1st round picks in a nice deal for you..... Godspeed!

It's tough to shoot yourself in the foot when you just got yourself a franchise QB. They did what they had to and stepped up to the plate. You think the Lions, 49ers, Seahawks or whoever else missed this trade are in better shape?

We should just be glad that it was the Bears and not the Jets.

Like you I'm delighted that Cutler didn't go to the Jets. The Pats

got the most they could for Cassel in a slow market. The Cassel to

Denver thing started when the K.C. deal was almost complete. You

should also remember that Tampa was interested in Cutler and not

Cassel and Tampa was going to provide the 1st round pick.

I am just so glad that it was the Bears and not the stinking Jets that landed Cutler.
The Jets are going into 2009 with very little in the way of QB and that my friends, is how it should be!!!!!

agreed - cassel's franchise tag plus his inability to throw a good long ball scared buyers away.

Also, Not only are the Bears going to only pay $1.1 million for Cutler in 2009, they have his contract as is, for three more years.

The CHiefs not only have to pay $15 mil, but they only have Cassel for one year.

That said, I think the Chiefs and patiots each got what they wanted.

The Bears might not want Cutler. He went 17-20, even with the Hoculi gift, with some pretty talented receivers. Chicago has Hester and no one else, and no first round pick to get a good WR.

I think the Broncos made out very well in this deal.

I think the Broncos made out very well in this deal.
They did - however - when you're looking for a QB you can spend a lot of picks until you get it right. If they hit quickly or if McDaniels can somehow win with Orton they'll look great. If they blow a #1 on a QB, though, they're down to needing to hit with the next try or busting.

Why couldn't we have traded with Chicago?

Chicago did not want Cassel. The only teams that wanted Cassel were

Kansas City and Denver. Denver never did make a serios offer since it

involved a three way trade.

Maybe the Bears staff has other plans for draft weekend or something.

Dayumn.

I am just so glad that it was the Bears and not the stinking Jets that landed Cutler.
The Jets are going into 2009 with very little in the way of QB and that my friends, is how it should be!!!!!

There was some talk of the Bills too and I'm glad he didn't go there. He might have done well with Owens and Evans. (at least until Owens blows up)

their trade is what a franchise qb is worth. our trade was not good value but let us work free agency e.t.c because we have a franchise qb in waiting. seeing what the bears paid for cutler. no one can say that we got fair value for cassel. all you can say is that our deal let us be a free agent player. its a question of what would you rather. Bodden springs taylor e.t.c and 32nd. or 2 1sts and a 3rd and then probably we go after peppers cause we would have the cap. honestly... i'd probs take option 2 even tho i acknowledge that BB has done a great job in free agency.

I agree with those who have argued that this is an "apples and oranges" comparison, given the different cap hits.

That said, it's hard to understand how this trade makes sense for the Bears; they've given up a serviceable but not noteworthy NFL QB, two first round picks and a third rounder for a QB who has good stats but who hasn't proven he can win and who appears to have some "issues." There was either a competing deal on the table or the Bears are desperate to get back to the SB while they still have the core of the team that got them there two years ago. There's only one outcome that can justify a move like this to an ownership and a fanbase: one or two shiny Lombardi's.

Also, it takes Josh from goat to hero in Denver if they can capitalize on the picks and build a Champion in a couple of years.

This is the kind of deal and intrigue that makes the NFL so great; we'll be following the repercussions for the next four or five seasons.

Denver traded a top pick multi-year starting QB who was in the Pro Bowl
The Pats traded a 7th round pick who played one year in the NFL and had a HUGE cap hit

The only reason I (not an NFC GM and not a ******) would feel that Denvah came out ahead is that I think Cassel is the better QB. It bothers me that Josh whom I think will be an upper tier HC now has lots of picks. The Bears will suck with or without girly-mon Cutler

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back