Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you feel about Cassel, Cutler trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK . . . how do you feel about it?

Hmmmmm, lemme think.

I'd rather have twos 1sts and a 3rd than just a 2nd.

We got jipped. No ands, ifs or buts.

I think Chicago just shot themselves in the foot and Denver is going to get a couple really good DL out of this draft.

We didn't get enough and the Bears finally getting a franchise QB is to me, worth the seemingly ridiculous amount of compensation.

No one in their right mind can say that a 2nd pick for a quality starter is enough. They might of had their hand forced to clear cap space but not a chance that deal worked in the patriots favor. It is going to take a hell of a draft pick to make up for what they could of had.

You can't compare them because Cutler didn't come with a $15M bill.

My take: we didn't get fair value for a very good QB in his prime, but it was still a good trade. Because Cassel was under the cap for $15M and going to be a backup and we had major holes to fill with little cap space, we had nowhere near as much leverage as the Broncos who had Cutler locked up cheap for 3 more years as their starting QB.

Last edited:
My take: we didn't get fair value, but it was still a good trade. Because Cassel was under the cap for $15M and going to be a backup and we had major holes to fill with little cap space, we had nowhere near as much leverage as the Broncos who had Cutler locked up cheap for 3 more years as their starting QB.
Right, if Cassell had another year at, say, $1.5M then I'd be saying Belichick was crazy. Given the situation we did fine.

The Pats got what they could as quickly as they could. We already saw the opportunity costs - if they don't deal Cassel right away they have no cap space. Then we wouldn't have seen them go on a spending spree and get Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Chris Baker, Galloway, etc. etc. Having the BEST free agency period of any team and getting a high 2nd round pick is worth not waiting on a nebulous 3 way trade that MAY or MAY NOT have worked out for a 1st rounder.

Last edited:
We got what we could, the Broncos... got a freaking steal. Cutler's a good QB, don't get me wrong (and better than Cassel), but this reeks of Herschel Walker.

Hmmmmm, lemme think.

I'd rather have twos 1sts and a 3rd than just a 2nd.

EXACTLY!!!!!

oh well....

we still have Brady, but we called bluff way too early.

The Patriots could trade Brady he only has a 5 million dollar cap hit. Think of all the over priced first round picks the Patriots could get.

KIDDING!!!!!

This poll completely takes out context, and thus is meaningless.

Cassel did not have cheap years left on his contract, and his franchise tag was crippling the Pats' ability to play in free agency. Time was a huge factor. Cassel also played 1 year with the best receivers in the league.

Cutler has 3 more relatively cheap years left on his contract, his cap was not killing the Broncos, and while he also had great receivers, his 3-year QB rating is 86.

I think Chicago just shot themselves in the foot and Denver is going to get a couple really good DL out of this draft.

It's tough to shoot yourself in the foot when you just got yourself a franchise QB. They did what they had to and stepped up to the plate. You think the Lions, 49ers, Seahawks or whoever else missed this trade are in better shape?

We should just be glad that it was the Bears and not the Jets.

I don't think the Broncos got a steal. They got good value if they were dead set on dealing him, but they dealt a 25 year old Pro Bowl QB. I think while they could've done worse, this isn't some great deal for them and it sets their franchise back.

QB's by far the most important position and they just dealt a really good, young one.

Can't compare the two, Cutler is a much higher commodity. If you want to wonder what if for no proven reason go right ahead but I could care less. We got almost a 1st rounder for a guy that everyone thought was going to be cut last year.

Compared to what Denver got we got screwed, the Bears gave away the short term future for a QB that hasn't won anything and who is just to immature at this moment. Hes a malcontent, hes is NOT team player Cutler MAY have a great arm but this has to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:
who really cares now if we did or didnt get enough for cassel the guys been traded lets move on.

Without the Cassell trade we don't get Taylor, Springs, Baker, Bodden, Galloway, Banta-Cain and resign Sanders. They most probably wouldn't have waited and thus signed elsewhere.

We did what was right at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye