Welcome to PatsFans.com

Comparative Prices Health care. Lipitor in France $.42 in in the US $129.00

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 27, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Is the lipitor in the US that much better than it is in France.. interesting report that outlines some of the differences in Medical care in comparable countries... US is always the highest, is more expensive always the best??...

The expected response of the right will because of tort reform, but tort reform has been implemented in Texas with no impact on the consumer.. the only beneficiaries of that effort are on the insurance companies and those who they insure.. guess theyare waiting for the "trickle down theory"...

For Example:
    Nexium..
    UK $30.00
    US $129.00
    Plavix
    France $15.00
    US $152.00
    Hip Replacement
    UK $9637.00
    Germany $5,329.00
    US $34,454.00
    Catarac Surgery
    UK $1299.00
    US $14,764.00

The full report

http://www.ifhp.com/documents/IFHPPricereportfinal.pdf
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    Without getting into whether or not one would be able to confirm the veracity of the report (I can't speak to it), the grim news is that virtually nothing can or will be done to bring American prices downward.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well a big part of that is the healthcare shell game started by Medicare, where prices are inflated as reimbursement will be lower.

On top of that, we (the US) is the leading medical innovator in the world and the rest of the world benefits from our R&D. Will the next push be for a global healthcare system to "even" it out?
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It still does not explain the humongeous discrepancy.. the easy answer is to blame "government systems".. and not hold Big Pharma or the Medical Industry accountable. "It is ok, continue to gouge the american public, Mediare is to blame", they laugh and chuckle all the way to the bank.
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Of course it explains the discrepancy. Okay, simple question: why are drugs in Canada much cheaper than here?
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How Does Canada Keep a Lid On Prescription Drug Costs? ? Psychiatric News

In an overly simplified way, government (PMPRB) sets the prices or determines what is 'excessive". If the US government were to say to the drug companies, "charge us what you charge in Canada", they would likely opt out of the Canadian market and it's 33 million consumers, roughly 1/9 the size of the USA, rather than lose their sizable profits in this country. The net result would be higher prices for Canada....
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

May I suggest moving to France then. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Another poster who likes to roll his eyes like a pre teen school girl, guess in your world it is ok to gouge the individual and health insurance plans..

There is nothing to be concerned about, just move on and accept it, bend over Big Pharma is doing good for you and this country .. this is a contributing factor to out of control government costs.
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    When did high medical costs become a partisan issue? Jeezus
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Since the beginning of time 1/20/2009..
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

+1 +1 +1. If our government mandated they charge us and charge Canadians the same, they'd drop Canada in a heartbeat. And if our government mandated the drug companies sell their drugs for those lower prices, then that would be last time we ever saw any new drug or innovation.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Really?

Here's a list of the top 20 pharmacutical sellers and developers.

FACTBOX-The 20 largest pharmaceutical companies | Reuters

Here's where they're located - in order.

US

Switzerland

France

London

London

Switzerland

US

Global

US

US

Israel

Germany

bought out by Pfieser

US

Germany

Japan

US

Germany

Japan

Denmark

6 out of 20 does not "the leader" make.

And all those other countries? My goodness, they've all got socialized medicine!!
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Talk to obama, he's the one who passed "health care reform" that did nothing for most of us but increase insurance. All that dumb bill did was increase overhead and move the shells around in who pays for health care, it did nothing to help with the actual problem - the cost.

Hey obama - IT'S THE COST, STUPID.
  14. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Wanna fix healthcare? First, we shoot the lawyers.

75% of medical providers' expenses are for malpractice/liability insurance. This is due to lawyers making millions suing for "punitive damages". Cap them at $100,000.(BTW, this is the only part of a settlement that a lawyer can attach, they cant touch loss compensation).

Problem solved. Reagan tried to point this out almost 30 years ago.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The atypical knee jerk response, Texas has implemented Tort Reform.. so far the only beneficiaries have been the Insurers and the payees of insurance.. the consumer is still waiting for the benefits to "trickle down"...
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

For the less intelligent Bush rumpswabs this is a challenging time, the belief that everything prior to 1/20/2009 was wonderful, and champagne flowed from our faucets and the world was a happy place.. :):):)

Unfortunately it has not changed in a while... the discrepancies have been around for quite a while..

U.S. Medical Prices Highest In the World - BusinessWeek
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Darryl calling someone else "less intelligent" :rocker: What color is the pot over there, buddy ?

Anyway, neither I nor anyone else I'm aware of, Republican or otherwise, claimed that Bush did anything positive for healthcare other than the dubious "accomplishment" of adding prescription drugs to healthcare. The point is the obamans do claim to have done so. Remember it was "a big f*cking deal" according to the V.P. Health premiums would drop. Things would be more affordable and more people would get it. Well, wrong. He had his little bi-partisan get together in which he let the other side speak but refused to listen.

The bottom line is don't come here complaining about health costs but not assigning some blame to obama when he is the one who had the monstrous size health care bill that was supposed to lower costs but raised them instead.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Uh huh. Do you mean "typical"?

Anywho:

Doctors Flock to Texas After Tort Reform - Health Blog - WSJ

What's the cost of a doctor's visit when there isn't one to see?
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Uh-huh....and the parts of the cited article you neglected to mention:

1) How come the flood? A clampdown on damages in malpractice suits has made Texas a very attractive place to practice medicine, says an opinion piece in the WSJ.

Now, I don't know about you, but a news article based upon an opinion piece published by the same source - call me suspicious.

2) But it’s not all sweetness and light down on the border. An 11-hour hearing in the Texas Legislature last fall featured “angry, frustrated doctors from Houston to Laredo” venting about ” overzealous oversight” by the Texas Medical Board, the regulatory body that got beefed up to safeguard Texans from bad docs when the malpractice curbs were enacted, the Houston Chronicle reported. Complaints to the board have increased dramatically, and disciplinary actions against docs has nearly tripled since 2001

Doesn't sound like a whole lot of satisfied happy doctors, does it?

3) May 19, 2008

That's the date of your factual article based upon an opinion. Have you checked to see if anything's changed in the 2 1/2 years that have passed since this was first published?

In fact.....why don't I check it for you?

July 2010

Two years ago, Texas had approximately 43,000 physicians engaged in patient care for a
    population of nearly 23 million.Last year, the Texas Academy of Family Physicians
    noted that while the national average for direct care physicians is 200 to every 100,000,
    Texas averages only 157 for every 100,000 individuals. Additionally, the director of
    the U.S. Census Bureau predicts that by the year 2040, there will be more than 50 million
    people in the state. In primary care, 114 Texas counties are considered full primary
    care health professional shortage areas and 47 counties are considered partial shortage
    areas.There are 25 Texas counties that currently do not have any physicians.

http://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/perspectives/2010/(CC) Shortage.pdf

FORT WORTH -- Texas must expand its medical residency programs or it will face a growing shortage of physicians, a JPS Health Network official told a state House of Representatives committee Monday.

With a ratio of 158 doctors per 100,000 residents, Texas ranks 42nd among the 50 states and District of Columbia, according to the Texas Medical Association. The shortage is expected to worsen as the state's population grows and the healthcare overhaul is enacted.

"We are at a shortage of physicians of all types in Texas, both primary care and specialty care," Floyd said. "We would love to see this addressed in our new healthcare reform. How do we train more physicians?"

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/1...al-warns-texas-legislators.html#ixzz16gLL2qeZ
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Go back and read your post you claimed that Obama was responsible.. unless this is some foreign language that is not understood by most.

21. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

But it has not been passed on to the patient, it has not reduced costs of any healthcare who is supposed to benefit most.. that is the point of this thread.

The only thing that happened is that the Insurance Companies are paying less, and the Doctors are making more money.. that is all.
  22. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    It was probably understood by most - not surprisingly, not by you.

obama has made it worse. I DID NOT say he is responsible because it was already bad. However costs are not going down, as promised. By most accounts costs are going up more than they otherwise would because we're covering more - keeping adults up to 26 on their parents' policies make policies more for everyone even those of us without adults from 18-26.

Just because you can't read to understand isn't my problem. Again, I did not blame obama for the high health care costs, I just blamed him for making already high costs worse when he claimed he would make them better.
  23. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That is because a study that was reported in 2010 has not been impacted as of now by anything yet, did I dumb it down enough for you??? I would suspect that the info published probably was gathered 3-6 months prior to the publication.. last I knew the new health care law was not in effect 3-6 months ago...

I do not know if it will change or not change, but for some there is no history of these cost discrepancies prior to 1/20/2009...
  24. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I am not talking about that report when I say health care costs are going up more than they otherwise would have - that comes from other reports and common sense.

You are complaining about prescription drug costs. Your party and your president just passed this big bill for health care. Present some legitimate documentation on how the health care bill will help solve the problem or admit that your guy did nothing to help. It's OK to admit you voted for a failed President, I admitted it with Bush and didn't vote for him again in 2004.

Time for more Nyquil - I'm home sick ironically - hopefully they aren't too expensive . . .
  25. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Common sense is how I get all my information.. talk about anecdotal.

No one has said Obama will help or not help, unfortunately for many they cannot view fact based evidence without viewing it as is, instead of everything being partisan..

I have never touted the health care bill, as quite honestly do not really understand all of the subtleties.. but the right, for some reason, when information is posted automaticallly assume that it is partisan.. if you check the posts there was nothing to intimate that at all.
  26. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    A ton of businesses, both insurance and purchasers, have said the cost of health insurance is going up because of the bill.

There are more mandates on coverage now. Insurance costs are very predictable, the actuarial tables have changed based on more things being covered, whether it's mandating coverage of pre existing conditions, allowing adults up to 26 staying on policies, whatever, it changes the tables which changes the cost of coverage. That's why insurance companies have a low profit margin because it's a simple exercise in statistics and probability with an enormous sample size.

Many of you may like the additional mandates. Great. The problem is that obama promised that premiums would decrease and that's where he simply couldn't live up to his promise. Without other changes, more coverage equals more costly premiums; it simply has to.
  27. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

what part of this statement don't you understand??

This post was about the cost of certain procedures, and how they vary amongst other countries.. and that the US is way above the rest of the world in medical costs..
  28. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    My point was that we just had our one and, for a long time, only stab at healthcare reform and obama turned it into a partisan circus. Opportunity over, opportunity failed. Unless the Republicans win the Presidency and can repeal and replace this bill, this is what we have. And there's nothing there to lower the cost of Lipitor, other drugs, or other health care costs. obama isn't responsible for the problem but he is responsible for "opening up healthcare" and not doing anything to fix the costs.
  29. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Obama has done a lot of things, but the folks from the right have turned everything into a partisan issue, he does not hold the exclusive rights to this cluster f..ck.. this is about skyrocketing health costs, and you want to make it into something else..

Stick to the topic..
  30. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Keep your head in the sand if you like . . . but obama owns the halth care problem now. Me personally, I know the system was way too expensive before and I don't blame obama for anything other than being a partisan hack. However when you promise your bill will reduce costs, when you sign off on thousands of pages of law to do so and it raises costs instead, you now own the problem. obama, nancy and harry had their chance and they failed. There's a lot of things I would do do reduce the cost per unit of healthcare, including the subject here of prescription drugs. The prez had his chance and he failed to fix it. F A I L E D.