PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comparables for Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
so maybe a 4 yr deal, with $4M bonus, and salaries of .5, 2.0, 3.0, 3.0

should get it done.

hmmm... that link worked a minute ago, now it wants me to register.

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:

should get it done.
That's $12.5M for 4 years, an average of $3.125M per year.

No thanks.

That's crazy

PatsWorldChamps said:

should get it done.

AV's been paid for what he's done. He's getting older and has missed a few lately. I think he should be paid what's he's getting (or less) for a couple years. If not, franchise him and draft a successor.

BelichickFan said:

No thanks.

Yes thanks. There is no one that I would want to see in a Patriots uni come on the field when the game is on the line, no matter the conditions.

Millions of dollars to kick a frickin' ball.

I am green with envy.

BelichickFan said:

No thanks.
The average isnt really pertinent in NFL contracts... heck, i could have said
5 years, w/$4 M SB, and .5, 2, 3, 3, and 20
thats an average of $6.5 or so...
it's still the same contract; AV would just never see year 5.

look at 4/.5,2,3,3 as a 3 yr deal, with hits of 1.5, 3, and 4 (with a possible dead money of $1M in the 4th year, or a renegotiation)

Bella*chick said:

I am green with envy.
You could say that kind of thing about any position.

"Millions of dollars to throw a frickin' ball."
"Millions of dollars to carry a frickin' ball."
"Millions of dollars to catch a frickin' ball."
"Millions of dollars to snap a frickin' ball."

etc., etc... Football is a game about a frickin' ball, with millions of dollars involved.

drew4008 said:
You could say that kind of thing about any position.

"Millions of dollars to throw a frickin' ball."
"Millions of dollars to carry a frickin' ball."
"Millions of dollars to catch a frickin' ball."
"Millions of dollars to snap a frickin' ball."

etc., etc... Football is a game about a frickin' ball, with millions of dollars involved.
True, but usually even the other players razz the kicker for not doing much of anything.

len_mullen said:
AV's been paid for what he's done. He's getting older and has missed a few lately. I think he should be paid what's he's getting (or less) for a couple years. If not, franchise him and draft a successor.

Franchising him costs $3M this year, vs my plan of $1.5... draft a successor? and do what with the successor? pay him, and tie up a roster spot? plus burn a draft pick?

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:

I am green with envy.

And he doesn't even have to deal with that damn pulsing controller synched up with a heartbeat ... :D

re:

To me, the best NFL job seems to be the punter.

The kicker gets vilified if he misses a big field goal, as does every other player in a big moment.

The punter just catches the ball and swings his leg half a dozen times, and makes a million a year. No backlash usually.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

miguel posts a worthwhile item, and you morons threadjack it to "who is overpaid"? everyone in the nfl is overpaid. no NFL player has yet cured cancer.

i feel bad for miguel: probably the dude who contributes the most to these boards...

miguel... i posted my thoughts... if you were GM, what contract do you think is fair for the pats and AV (you have more cap insight than any of us, obviously)?

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
The average isnt really pertinent in NFL contracts... heck, i could have said
5 years, w/$4 M SB, and .5, 2, 3, 3, and 20
thats an average of $6.5 or so...
it's still the same contract; AV would just never see year 5.

look at 4/.5,2,3,3 as a 3 yr deal, with hits of 1.5, 3, and 4 (with a possible dead money of $1M in the 4th year, or a renegotiation)

Is it just me, but why does anyone do phony fifth years? Just forces you to eat dead money and cut someone rather than have them become free agents (in which case you are entitled to free agent compensation). If you're going to pay them, pay them; if not, not.

PatsWorldChamps said:
miguel posts a worthwhile item, and you morons threadjack it to "who is overpaid"? everyone in the nfl is overpaid. no NFL player has yet cured cancer.

i feel bad for miguel: probably the dude who contributes the most to these boards...

miguel... i posted my thoughts... if you were GM, what contract do you think is fair for the pats and AV (you have more cap insight than any of us, obviously)?

I give Adam the same deal that he received in 2002 with a couple of changes.
In 2002 Adam was given a 3-year deal ($1.8 million signing bonus, salaries of 750,000 in 2002, 1,400,000 in 2003, 1,425,000 in 2004). All of Adam's salaries were fully guaranteed. My proposal would have a more balanced salary structure (1,000,000 in 2006, 1,275,000 in 2007, 1,300,000 in 2008) and I not guarantee his 2008 salary). Plus, I would bump his signing bonus to $2.1 million. Adam could earn $250,000 in incentives each year. Adam's 2006 cap number would be $1.7 million, a decrease of over a million dollars from his 2005 cap number. Given the Patriots' recent tendency to play close games, Adam's unmatched ability to come through in the clutch is worth a slight increase.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1352796.html
In 2002 Adam was willing to sign a deal that was not the best ever for a kicker. In 2006 why not expect him to do the same??

I'm with Mike the Brit. I do not believe in adding phony years to a contract, especially with older players.

Last edited:
While the difference between what Seymour wants and what Pats are prepared to offer him may be huge, as in several million over the life of the deal - the difference with AV is maybe as much as 2MM over say 3 years. I think Miguels proposal will be close to where it ends up, maybe a little ore bonus.

AV will be signed by the Patriots, period - take that to the bank.
Seymour will be really hard to do, but I sure hope it gets done.

We need both of these guys (along with keeping certain other key members of the nucleous) to continue our dominance. The Patriots know this, the deals will get done. CBA needs to get done or at least resolved first, then we know what we are dealing with.

fgssand said:
While the difference between what Seymour wants and what Pats are prepared to offer him may be huge, as in several million over the life of the deal - the difference with AV is maybe as much as 2MM over say 3 years. I think Miguels proposal will be close to where it ends up, maybe a little ore bonus.

AV will be signed by the Patriots, period - take that to the bank.
Seymour will be really hard to do, but I sure hope it gets done.

We need both of these guys (along with keeping certain other key members of the nucleous) to continue our dominance. The Patriots know this, the deals will get done. CBA needs to get done or at least resolved first, then we know what we are dealing with.

I totally agree with you on this! Adam will be a Patriot when he retires, and the sooner the CBA gets resolved, then the Pats will make a run at Seymour, hopefully with positive results!

1) The patriots would sign Miguel's deal in a heartbeat. The increase is much less than increases in average salaries. However, don't get me wrong. It is a fine offer.

2) I see no advantage of balance salary structures. That just increases the Year one payout, although it matter little here since the first two years are guaranteed. The first year for veterans is almost always (and should be) close to the vet minimum.

3) True phoney years allow the team to spread the real money over one more year (or more). I think that this is fine as long as the overall % of dead money is kept within a reasonable cap plan. In addtion, it is a very formal way of structuring a time for the team and the player to negotiate (usually) before free agency begins. This is can be made even more clear with a roster bonus.

Would the pats have been with McGinist's contract ending in 2005, and a higher 2005 cap? BTW, this dummy year worked well for the pats and Vrabel.

Would the pats be wrong to sign Brady to a seven year contract, even if they can only agree to the money for five?

Miguel said:
I give Adam the same deal that he received in 2002 with a couple of changes.
In 2002 Adam was given a 3-year deal ($1.8 million signing bonus, salaries of 750,000 in 2002, 1,400,000 in 2003, 1,425,000 in 2004). All of Adam's salaries were fully guaranteed. My proposal would have a more balanced salary structure (1,000,000 in 2006, 1,275,000 in 2007, 1,300,000 in 2008) and I not guarantee his 2008 salary). Plus, I would bump his signing bonus to $2.1 million. Adam could earn $250,000 in incentives each year. Adam's 2006 cap number would be $1.7 million, a decrease of over a million dollars from his 2005 cap number. Given the Patriots' recent tendency to play close games, Adam's unmatched ability to come through in the clutch is worth a slight increase.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1352796.html
In 2002 Adam was willing to sign a deal that was not the best ever for a kicker. In 2006 why not expect him to do the same??

I'm with Mike the Brit. I do not believe in adding phony years to a contract, especially with older players.

mgteich said:
3) True phoney years allow the team to spread the real money over one more year (or more). I think that this is fine as long as the overall % of dead money is kept within a reasonable cap plan. In addtion, it is a very formal way of structuring a time for the team and the player to negotiate (usually) before free agency begins.
Excellent point. I takes away the urgency and possible panicked negotiations when the "real" contract ends. It allows more time for negotiations.

For the club, it means the player does not become a FA in March,but the club retains exclusive negotiating rights. They can still cut the player.

For the player, even though it is acknowledged to be a phony year at the beginning, the player can hold fast to it (Ty Law). It gives them a little advantagein amounts being discussed, and there is always the chance that the player will have a great year and get some or even most of the money.

So Adam is already the highest paid kicker in the league and if we franchise him again he gets an additional 20% raise, right? I should think we should be able to work something out where he remains the highest paid but gets less than a 20% raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes