PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Commissioner meeting report

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIGGEST issue is Favre! How does it take this long? They threw the Pats under the bus in two weeks. But they can't get to the bottom of '****gate' in a full season? Talk about going out of the way to protect someone.

Seriously, it's downright pathetic.

It's been 74 days since the Deadspin story was put up.

18-game regular season: Roger said statistical models show that more teams will be in the playoff hunt longer vs. the current 16-game schedule.

Duh. Every team will be in the playoff hunt the first two games. Hope he didn't pay a lot for that study.

Adjustments will be made in off-season demands on players to help mitigate physical wear and tear.
Would that be bionic limbs? I loved that show, especially the second one with Lindsay Wagner (Yum)
Key divisional match-ups will be weighted toward the end of the season as they are now to ensure that teams will play to win.

Do we get the two worst teams to pound on with the backups we're evaluating? Like Enormous U. Vs. NSW Elkhorn State in the NCAA.

What about injuries, expanded rosters, no more season ending IR...anything?

Appreciate the effort, but you got steamrolled. I'm surprised he didn't say they had a committee studying the issue.

Last edited:
Appreciate the effort, but you got steamrolled. I'm surprised he didn't say they had a committee studying the issue.

It's hard to convey the gist of things to someone who wasn't there, but there wasn't opportunity for follow-up questions unless the next person grabbing a mike chose to follow up on things already asked/discussed. So there was a lot of jumping around between topics in the limited time available.

so youre telling me that goodell stepped into the hall at patriots place, and not one of the 75 pats fans had the gots to call him out even to the slightest extent? all talk no walk huh?

I'm also surprised at this. It seems to me that there is never a shortage of bad things to say about the guy yet when people have the chance to call him on it........choke

Tunescribe, please don't get the impression that I'm calling you out individually, I'm just shocked that all the Pats fans in attendance were too starstruck to call him out and make him answer the awkward questions we've all been wanting the answers to.

I guess it's nobody's fault but my own and I have no room to complain because I wasn't there.

he hasn't confirmed it either. I also have not denied that these are my pics....see how that works.

I thought he had admitted it was him on the phone calls (how could he not? Even I could identify that as his voice), but denied the pics were his?

Grogs -- if it was all over the media that you'd sexted this woman, I bet you would have issued a denial if only to placate Mrs. Groganbootleg.

Pats Deb -- I don't think he's denied or confirmed anything publicly and I think that speaks volumes.

Last edited:
I'm also surprised at this. It seems to me that there is never a shortage of bad things to say about the guy yet when people have the chance to call him on it........choke

Tunescribe, please don't get the impression that I'm calling you out individually, I'm just shocked that all the Pats fans in attendance were too starstruck to call him out and make him answer the awkward questions we've all been wanting the answers to.

I guess it's nobody's fault but my own and I have no room to complain because I wasn't there.

I very well could have asked about spygate/tripgate/Jets cronyism myself, but my primary concern was learning as much as I could about the proposed 18-game regular season and that's what I pursued in my lone opportunity. I did present it rather pointedly, saying I felt that most fans don't want an 18-game regular-season schedule because of concerns about injuries and a watered-down product. His main counter to that was most fans don't like preseason games and a 20-game slate will be played either way.

I think the difficulty in broaching his handling of spygate at a forum like that would be asking something about it in a relevant non-spiteful way that would elicit a meaningful and thoughtful response. I had a question prepared linking spygate to tripgate but learned earlier yesterday that tripgate is still being reviewed by the league office. So, equating league handling of the two probably wouldn't seem relevant at this stage.

The kinds of questions that we all would like to see Goodell address really require the opportunity for follow-up questions. So unless/until he makes himself available for more than an hour with fewer than 75 people (actually 150 yesterday, as everyone brought someone along), that job lies with the media.

Let me say that your report was more insightful and informative than that of the media (Herald) and better written too.

It's hard to convey the gist of things to someone who wasn't there, but there wasn't opportunity for follow-up questions unless the next person grabbing a mike chose to follow up on things already asked/discussed. So there was a lot of jumping around between topics in the limited time available.

I understand. It was designed to be one question, packaged response, next question, packaged response.

It's hard to formulate a reasonable, non dodgeable question under those conditions. I'm not trying to rip you, I expected as much.

Thanks for the report. I can't that say I read the accounts from the Herald or Globe. I knew that I'd get better information from this site.

18-game regular season: Roger said statistical models show that more teams will be in the playoff hunt longer vs. the current 16-game schedule.

That is pure BS, the math is very basic, he is just white-washing this with the term "statistical models". The real question is how many meaningless games there will be at the end of the season and there will absolutely be more. It's a curve. If you have a hundred games, there will be lots of meaningless games. If you have three games there would be very few. The longer the season the more meaningless games.

Now, if he was being honest he could have said that the increase in meaningless games would be small, which is possible, I don't know, but it's disappointing that he's using BS political rhetoric.

I used to love NFL commissioners, not this guy.

Ah man. Come on now.
You had him all lined up in your sights and you tossed him a cream puff question.
We got to hear his canned response when Costas played nice with him.
You let him off the hook.

Just kiddin with you.
Probably wouldn't have got anything out of him on tripgate either, he is a slippery politician.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Sounds like you had a good time. Now that your rubbing shoulders with the MAN.

Thanks for your well written report.

I find the commish's response to your question as inadequate. Reducing off-season workouts is good and all but it is nothing compared to the physical toll of two extra weeks of practice and full contact games. Also if they go the 18 game route, I hope that doesn't push the Super bowl to March or something ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes