Welcome to PatsFans.com

Commission seeks U.S. gas tax hike

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Stupid is as stupid does.

Possible gas tax increases

WHEC-TV
    updated 1 minute ago

Just when gas prices have come down, there could be more taxes on gasoline.

A federal commission created by Congress to find ways to help build and repair highways is recommending a 50 percent increase in gas and diesel fuel taxes.

In a report expected later this month, members of the commission say they will urge Congress to raise the gas tax, now 18.4 cents a gallon, by 10 cents, and the diesel fuel tax, now 24.4 cents a gallon, by 12 to 15 cents.

At the same time, the commission will recommend tying the fuel tax rates to inflation.

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I can see the need for it. Our roads and bridges are a mess. Although, I think their timing is piss-poor. This makes me wonder how on earth our gov't has never successfully addressed the issue of "Wasteful gov't spending". We've had numberous documentaries and news reports and I'd bet there are still BILLIONS still being wasted. Yet, the issue always seems to conveniently go away.

So if we have DE-flation, will the tax rate go down?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

Gas Tax:
    Auntie Pelosi and her little gang of grinning a$s kissers, soon to be joined by "Barack The Magic President" they're just getting warmed up.

GOD DAMN AMERICA
    DEPORT AUNT ZUCCHINI
    "MICHELLE BABY, HAVE YOU SEEN MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE"

Secret Service Agent Calls Boss:

"Hello boss, this is Agent Smith"
    "Whatta ya want Smitty"
    "There's a guy with a purple and yellow sheet on building a Grass Hut in the Rose Garden, shall I shoot him"
    "Naw, leave him alone, thats the Magic Presidents brother"
    "10/4"

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes taxes...[​IMG]

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

This is inevitable.. the price of gas is too low and many roads are crumbling.. concern about the increase in Diesel though, those prices are still pretty high and many truckers will be effected.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Gas is too low? Since when?

7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Ugh oh, here we go again....Didn't we beat this topic to death and beyond about a month ago???????

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 16 / -15

#24 Jersey

That's not what you guys were saying when we were paying $4 a gallon. What about gas prices affecting Average Joe and affecting inflation all the way up the business community.

This isn't Europe, we are a bigger country with more empty spaces and longer commutes. High gas taxes hurt us a lot more.

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Gas too low was probably a mispeak, gas is low is a better way to put it thus it is a prime target for taxes.... my concern is for increased taxes on Diesel s it effects a lot of small businessmen and women.

10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +730 / 11 / -7

Outstanding.

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Just one word? ;)

What have you done with our PFiVA? :mad: I know this isn't the one I know!

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

once again... gas price spikes upward and even downward are ominous...

too low, and there's no room for investment in alternate fuels, or, infrastructure in our failing roadways and bridges...

oil should have settled at $100/bl

regardless, it'll be back to approaching $100 by the end of the summer...

13. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

ok, i say we don't impliment more taxes.

i say we charge it tot he bailout.

the government has us so brainwashed that we need to be taxed.

do you think they'd actually allocate to where it should go?

just like there is 160 billion spent on terrorism and only 3 billion spent on heart disease.

can you say enemy of the state?

14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 12 / -15

#75 Jersey

Increasing the gas tax is brilliant from an American national security and economic viewpoint.

Think about it:

Raising the gas tax would create a TIGHTER ceiling for OPECs future price moves. More money going to our own infrastructure (caveat: there BETTER be tight oversight on the disbursement of the gas tax money) instead of to Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezb'Allah. Putin and Chavez.

To those who would counter with "Yeah, but high gas taxes didn't stop the enormous gas prices in Europe", remember: those prices could rise because the US consumes the lion's share - - therefore the Euro policies on gas mean very little to OPEC - - WE are the main consumers.

Of course, it would have to be a multi-level economic attack. Gas taxes are just one part. Infrastructure, mass transit construction, alternative energy and the incredible energy technology (that we already have on the markets!) should all be used in a coordinated fashion.

The solution is here, we just have to DO IT! The Attention deficit Disorder/Immediate Gratification crowd might wail for their lollipops (......and current tax breaks for buying humvees and yachts) but our country just might regain economic superpower status.

I say put OPEC and the terrorists in a tight economic vise and squeeze.

15. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's an idea! We can learn a lot from history. President Dwight Eisenhower created the Interstate Highway System here in America. How he did it was unique. You see, long before World War II, he took part in a military exercise to drive military vehicles across the United States. He learned first hand the appalling state of American highways. In many places, they were barely improved trails. The situation stuck in his mind, and during World War II, he got to see first hand the fine highways of Europe, and Germany's autobahn. This stuck in his mind also. So when he became President, me made it a priority to improve American highways and create a well functioning system like that of Germany.

The question was, how to fund such a massive undertaking? With the armistice of the Korean War he had an idea: what would happen if the military was massively cut back and the money saved used to build an interstate highway system? But how to get it past Congress and the Senate without it looking like a massive public works project reminiscent of Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal projects? Well, why not declare the Interstate Highway System a necessary part of national defense?

Selling it this way worked too. Funding for the massive project of building an interstate highway system across all of America floated through Congress. Eisenhower signed the bill authorizing construction in 1956. It wasn't completed until 1990. The final actual cost came out just over $130 billion. But look what America got for that money: a fine interstate highway system stretching from coast to coast and to every corner of the the lower 48. I'm betting Ike would be disturbed at the state of American highways and infrastructure today. We've neglected his legacy. We've seen the result of this in numerous bridge and overpass failures. The situation, according to highway engineers, is only going to get worse. I'm usually more of a free market thinking kind of guy, and this is definitely more of a Keynesian approach. But I believe our highways and railroads are critical to the health of our country. And I think Obama is already on this. But it's my idea. We will be winding down in Iraq, not leaving mind you. We are still in Korea, after all. But I see this happening.

16. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

people mention the current state being awful.... anyone have evidence? sure there are alot of bridges that need replacing, but what about highways? isn't it inevitable in the north the toll the winters take on highways? they'll never be perfect. sure i support the infrastructure but with existing dollars.

the government has alot of you convinced that you should be taxed more. that is pretty messed up. it's ok to give money to ceo's for bonuses since they take private jets than taking that money and allocating to the person who actually uses the highway.

we're crazy to think we should tax ourselves. do we honestly think that alternative energy is going to gain any steam in the next two decades? free energy? how do you tax that?

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

People are really stoopid. Is $3.1 trillion not enough? We don't need more taxes. The problem is the gubmit grossly mismanaging the taxpayers hard earned cash, and the sheep in here, the Kool-aid drinkers if you will, think that we need more for "infrastructure". LOL. That's the kool-aid code word for this semester I guess. baaaaaaa......

BTW, PC is correct. Oil is going to spike/rise again soon. It's only a matter of time IMO. It probably won't go to ridiculous levels like it did this past year, but it's not staying under $40 forever. the gubmit is going to fill the strategic reserve soon, and global demand will eventually increase as a result of both common sense mathematics, and the fact that it's not $4 a gallon anymore. My guess is oil will be in the $70-$100 in the next year. It'll likely rise to $60-70 by the summer.

You know, if all the people who want to pay more in taxes, simply donated the sum they're begging to pay, then I bet all the roads and bridges would be brand new, world hunger would be solved, and there'd be peace in the middle east.

18. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

this thread should be closed unless people are willing to post something that bashes Jews, Blacks, Homosexuals, or at the very least, Christians.
    If not im complaining to the mods.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Or, while certainly tragic, the death of a hollywood stars kid.