PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Commish looked into Pats Colts officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell: "d%#*!@t, Pereira! The Colts were SUPPOSED to beat the Patriots, and your fools didn't get the job done! What's worse, they looked bad screwing things up. People are suspicious."

Pereira: "Boss, it's not my fault. They had explicit instructions going into the game. Hobbes and Moss were obvious targets because of past history, we thought we were safe ... "

Goodell: "THOUGHT we were SAFE?! My God man, these officials of yours are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS! When I issue an edict I EXPECT it to be carried through, without screwing up for all the nation to see."

Pereira: "All I can say is, we can try again. I just don't know when we might have another believable opportunity with this team. Belichick has these guys playing so well."

Goodell: "Don, what is your take on this?"

Shula: "Well, there's the Steelers game. Even the Giants, but you've got to hope that one means something to New York or else it won't be convincing enough."

Goodell: "I don't know what to do at this point. I got an earful from Polian afterward after promising him we'd take care of things, then he gets found out on the amplified crowd noise ... This week has been one big pain in the ass. And Pereira, it all comes back to you and your bumbling rookie crew."

Pereira: "Boss, that was the point of it all -- a rookie crew is EXPECTED to make 'mistakes.' Inexperience leading to blown calls was going to serve as an unspoken explanation for people questioning their role in the Patriots losing. Problem is, there's only so much you can do against players like Moss, Brady and Colvin."

Goodell: "You're on notice, Pereira. You've got one week to come up with another plan. And I'd better like it. Anything you want to add to this Don? ... Don?"

Shula: "I need to go change my diaper."

this is hilarious.

My dream press conference from Goodell:

"I wish to make the following statement. In week #1 the New England Patriots were caught violating a league rule by videotaping the Jets defensive signals. The video showed indisputably that the Patriots had done this willfully and, considering that all teams had been warned before this season began, arrogantly.

I intended to make a strong statement that this behavior is unacceptable and therefore levied an unprecedented level of punishment against the Patriots. Additionally, I demanded that the Patriots turn over all the tapes that they had compiled over the years to see if there were any other violations that they were guilty of. The Patriots complied, and I found no other evidence of wrongdoing by the Patriots. Therefore, I ruled that no further punishments would be levied against the Patriots and the tapes would be destroyed to keep them from ending up in hands that they shouldn't. The Patriots videos should not be available to give any other team a competitive advantage.

I also wish to reemphasize that the Patriots gained no competitive advantage from the taping of the Jets' signals in the game they were taped in, and the tapes appear to be just what the Patriots claimed they were used for, intelligence on team's tendencies to be used as part of a database for future analysis.

Let me reemphasize that there is no rule against the stealing of other team's signals. That practice has been going on as long as the NFL has been in existence. The Patriots are being punished for violating the methodology of stealing signals, NOT for the theft itself.

I had hoped my ruling would stem the incidence of the stealing of signals and thus effective help clean up the game.

Unfortunately, my ruling did not accomplish what I had hoped it would do. The media and certain members of other organizations and many of their fans led a media blitz against the Patriots, and have generated ill will against the Patriots' organization to the point of denigrating everything they have accomplished and have even gone to the point of suggesting and implying that deliberate attempts to injure members of the Patriots would not only be acceptable, but would even be celebrated.

Not only has this negative perception been damaging to the Patriots brand, it has been patently unfair. Unfortunately, while the confiscated videos exonerated the Patriots of further wrongdoing, it HAS brought to light infractions committed by other franchises.

No less a person than the illustrious Don Shula has noted that the severity of the Patriots' penalty suggests that the infraction must have been equally severe, and he is correct, it DOES suggest that. Unfortunately that is a false impression.

The loss of a 1st round draft choice is the most severe ever levied against a team and should fit the offense. As the tapes have demonstrated to me, the Patriots have done nothing worse that what I saw other teams commit on the tapes, their mistake was getting caught. It is fair that the Patriots should be punished. It is NOT that they should be punished to such an unprecedented level.

In this case, after further consideration, I believe that I punished the Patriots too severely and left the impression that they were guilty of a greater offense than what actually occurred. Therefore, I am allowing the monetary penalties to stand, and am reducing the lost draft choice to a #3."

This penalty is now in line with the offense. This matter is now closed."

man, you are dreamin' !

Ridiculous lopsided penalty games will continue to be called as long as the ****amamie rules exist for PI. To get reasonable, the Rule has to be rewritten into two fouls, egregious and incidental PI. Just like face mask penalties. Only egregious PI gets to be a spot foul. Then teams would not be making "get a PI" planned routes for WRs.

I would also expand the area for valid chucking to 8 yards from 5 yards past the LOS.

Just watching a one hour recap of the game last night (NFL Films, I guess, because it had Steve Sabol) I saw at least two blatant spearing shots by Colts defenders, guys completely leading with helmets. One was to Moss when he was already down after a catch, not sure of the other. Refs right there, no calls. The bogus PI calls were still bogus as hell, even more bull**** in slowmo. Maybe we'll get some makeup calls in the playoffs, maybe not because it's so many weeks down the road.

It's obvious the Commish watches many games by the recent directives coming out of his office.

Looking at the penalties is merely lip service, as he probably will not go against his head ref. Pereira, who has already said there are no irregularities in the officiating.

No matter what any of them say, the negative press has definitely hurt the patriots.. Refs don't live in a vacuum, the constant effort to deify Dungy and the colts vs. the constant effort to demonize BB and the Pats has to have an effect.

The national media was quiet on the officiating except for the lone voice of Tom Curran, the rest went on their merry way.

No matter what any of them say, the negative press has definitely hurt the patriots.. Refs don't live in a vacuum, the constant effort to deify Dungy and the colts vs. the constant effort to demonize BB and the Pats has to have an effect.

The national media was quiet on the officiating except for the lone voice of Tom Curran, the rest went on their merry way.

Absolutely!! Not just the national media though. The locals, other than the midday guys and Pete Shepard from the Big show on WEEI, have been oh so quiet on this also. This whole Spygate story has been a classroom in the study of media bias and group think.
The Patriots deservedly got whacked and whacked hard not because of the actual violation (as Tom Curran accurately stated it was a jaywalking violation) but because they openly defied a missive from the Commish. That's what the media doesn't ever tell us, how the violation itself was minor. Why don't they make that clear? Because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Convene an NFL "Court Martial"

The Commish conferring with the supervisor of officials on Monday is meaningless.
The CEO of EVERY organization ... corporate, non-profit, governmental ... has regular sit-downs
with each of his/her chief subordinates.
That is a central part of their job.

What WOULD show that he is concerned about
the most fraudulently reffed game ever ... would be
suspending the entire crew, with pay,
summoning them to Park Avenue hq to insure their testimony
and opening an inquiry.

The absence of any such effective move means
that their performance was not especially disappointing
... not to mention, possibly quite satisfactory to him -
as Pereira has said it was satisfactory to HIM.

Last edited:
I think this is a good thing.

I don't want to interrupt the crazy conspiracy theorists among us from a good story, but if you think every official in the league did not take notice of the fact that the Commissioner specifically called Periera to the principals' office on this one, you're kidding yourself.

Routine Meeting

I think this is a good thing.

I don't want to interrupt the crazy conspiracy theorists among us from a good story, but if you think every official in the league did not take notice of the fact that the Commissioner specifically called Periera to the principals' office on this one, you're kidding yourself.

PFAZ, why do you presume that he called him in
specifically on this one ...
rather than it being a routine, scheduled powwow?

The Commish wanted to know why there were ANY penalties

against the Colts?

Re: Routine Meeting

PFAZ, why do you presume that he called him in
specifically on this one ...
rather than it being a routine, scheduled powwow?

I was just going by the first sentence in the first post quoting the original article.

I'm not aware of any regularly scheduled weekly meetings, by the way, between the commissioner and Periera. I think they do have one half way in the season, though -- so this may have just been that and it's being misreported.

Re: Routine Meeting

I was just going by the first sentence in the first post quoting the original article.

I'm not aware of any regularly scheduled weekly meetings, by the way, between the commissioner and Periera. I think they do have one half way in the season, though -- so this may have just been that and it's being misreported.

As already stated, chief execs meeting with their principal underlings
is the meat and potatoes of organizational management.
It is the default case.
It occupies more of their time than anything else.
Nothing in the slightest bit remarkable about any such encounter.

Florio has been known to make stories zestier than they really are.

This actually puts my mind at ease.

After that game, I was starting to think we'd be better off with the Commish of the More Taste League. I am usually pretty strong about not lapsing into conspiracy theory, but that game was a "Dayum!!!" in my book.

This at least tells me that Goodell does not believe he can sell product if officiating is that blatantly one-sided.

So basically, if it is the case that we'll have to beat the Colts AND the Refs, the Refs' team just took a major setback.

The Colts' injury excuse has just seen them blubber to a second loss this season, and oh, how the media trip over themselves to explain it away through injury.

First of all, the explanation is worth precisely **** when/if the Colts come to Foxboro in January. They don't get points for it, or even yards.

Secondly, they're showing they're a first-string-only shell of a team.

No matter the Pats' reliance on their playmakers, prior to this season, they've always had to cope without them at one time or another. Even Brady was out in the 01 championship game. Nobody wants to face that again, but you just can't expect to build a first string and call it a team. It's not, it's a first string.

If the Colts must be uninjured to win, then that is the sort of team they are. That's the type of team that, in a very lucky year, gets one super bowl ring.

If you win a super bowl with 40 or 50 starters in a year, that's the kind of teams the Pats have won with in the past.

And before some Colts homer says "yeah but what if you take away Moss..." The answer is, if you take away Moss you get the team that came within four of you, PLUS Rodney Harrison, PLUS the starting secondary, PLUS Wes Welker, PLUS Donte Stallworth, PLUS Adalius Thomas, PLUS Junior Seau, PLUS a backup receiving corps that includes the better parts of the guys you played against in that game.

Without friendly officiating, that equates to a very one-sided contest. But you will get friendly officiating. We know this. So BB will treat the Colts with the utmost respect, in terms of preparation. In terms of the final result? The Pats will make sure that game is in control, since the refs will attempt to award it to the Colts, if precedent is to be believed.

But the Colts, as of right now, look like a Shell. The lack of depth and lack of team heart is showing. At this point, it's on Dungy to prove otherwise.

PFnV

Last edited:
I think someone said it best - you knew it was going to be a long day when they ruled the Colt's receiver inbounds even though there was NOT ONE BUT TWO REFS (one on either side of the play) right on the sidelines - forcing the Pats to burn a challenge. Does anyone have a picture of this ridiculousness? I would sure appreciate someone posting this obvious underhandedness.

I think someone said it best - you knew it was going to be a long day when they ruled the Colt's receiver inbounds even though there was NOT ONE BUT TWO REFS (one on either side of the play) right on the sidelines - forcing the Pats to burn a challenge. Does anyone have a picture of this ridiculousness? I would sure appreciate someone posting this obvious underhandedness.

Actually, one ref looks for possession while the other looks at his feet. So the one got it wrong. Tho, he was right there and it wasn't that close.

bad or good calls the pats are working around it. I am in belize and lot of tourists and other locals (who think they are colts fans) hate NE Pats for kicking their asses. WHO cares!!! Pats will play good/bad weather, bad officials, frogs raining from the sky, etc.. and will defenately get the W!!!

bad or good calls the pats are working around it. I am in belize and lot of tourists and other locals (who think they are colts fans) hate NE Pats for kicking their asses. WHO cares!!! Pats will play good/bad weather, bad officials, frogs raining from the sky, etc.. and will defenately get the W!!!

I just hope they never have another game officiated like this and lose. Then if the fans or the Pats org. says anything we will get flamed by everyone. It's a lose lose situation unless of course we win! haha

This actually puts my mind at ease.

After that game, I was starting to think we'd be better off with the Commish of the More Taste League. I am usually pretty strong about not lapsing into conspiracy theory, but that game was a "Dayum!!!" in my book.

This at least tells me that Goodell does not believe he can sell product if officiating is that blatantly one-sided.

So basically, if it is the case that we'll have to beat the Colts AND the Refs, the Refs' team just took a major setback.

The Colts' injury excuse has just seen them blubber to a second loss this season, and oh, how the media trip over themselves to explain it away through injury.

First of all, the explanation is worth precisely **** when/if the Colts come to Foxboro in January. They don't get points for it, or even yards.

Secondly, they're showing they're a first-string-only shell of a team.

No matter the Pats' reliance on their playmakers, prior to this season, they've always had to cope without them at one time or another. Even Brady was out in the 01 championship game. Nobody wants to face that again, but you just can't expect to build a first string and call it a team. It's not, it's a first string.

If the Colts must be uninjured to win, then that is the sort of team they are. That's the type of team that, in a very lucky year, gets one super bowl ring.

If you win a super bowl with 40 or 50 starters in a year, that's the kind of teams the Pats have won with in the past.

And before some Colts homer says "yeah but what if you take away Moss..." The answer is, if you take away Moss you get the team that came within four of you, PLUS Rodney Harrison, PLUS the starting secondary, PLUS Wes Welker, PLUS Donte Stallworth, PLUS Adalius Thomas, PLUS Junior Seau, PLUS a backup receiving corps that includes the better parts of the guys you played against in that game.

Without friendly officiating, that equates to a very one-sided contest. But you will get friendly officiating. We know this. So BB will treat the Colts with the utmost respect, in terms of preparation. In terms of the final result? The Pats will make sure that game is in control, since the refs will attempt to award it to the Colts, if precedent is to be believed.

But the Colts, as of right now, look like a Shell. The lack of depth and lack of team heart is showing. At this point, it's on Dungy to prove otherwise.

PFnV
Actually we do get points for it. Polian and the competition committee changed that to a rule last Friday. We get one point for every injured starter that was out during the game and a half point for every injured reserve.

Actually we do get points for it. Polian and the competition committee changed that to a rule last Friday. We get one point for every injured starter that was out during the game and a half point for every injured reserve.

Okay, there's a Colts fan with a sense of humor.

(You're gonna need that :D )

Welcome,

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back