PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comments on RB S. Morris and Pats Backfield Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, out of curiosity, why would you say that the Pats are going to a ZONE BLOCKING scheme? Especially when they have road-graders like Mankins, O'Callaghan and to a lesser extent, Neal on the line?

um because its been noted that we were starting to use ZBS slowly..

Maroney's plenty big. He struggled running with blocking schemes Dillon thrived with.

As great as Dillon was, I think Maroney is better once he hits open field.

Of course all college running backs look great running free. That's the difference between college and the pros.

I think Maroney will make that transition as a different style runner than Dillon.

I can't wait to have every Maroney can't handle the load thread to end. Maroney is the primary back and he will be awesome this season. I can't believe people can't put two and two together and realize that severe rib injuries take months to heal. It's clear he wasn't the same player after that injury and I will enjoy it when some have to eat their words. I'm sure they will too.

I thought Maroney weighs like 220-225. I think that's good size. Next we'll hear he bulked up too much and he's slowed down.

Maybe we should ask why he was being tackled 3 yards in the backfield. Maybe the defenders weren't being blocked.

Currently listed at 5'!0" , 220 on the Pats home page roster. Out of college he was listed at 215. A full season of NFL level off season conditioning will defintely make him stronger and if the weight added is muscle, it shouldn't slow him down. I sure the Pats will be monitoring that situation and I know their trainers know a heck of a lot more than me on speed versus muscle for your RB's.

As far as the being tackeled in the backfield, that is not the OL's problem all the time, especially with Maroney last year. Everybody can see when a LB shoots the gap or a lineman gets released and makes the tackle in the backfield. Maroney was just not hitting the holes. And remember, Dillon was hitting the holes behind the same OL and far more consistently picking up 2-4 yards when nothing was obviously there. Maroney's dancing wasn't the OL's problem, it's Maroney's mindset.

Remix mentioned that a lot of first year RB's do this dancing and he is correct. But that doesn't mean it isn't an issue that Maroney has to put to rest. Remember...Jones-Drew from Jacksonville didn't seem to have an issue with dancing. It is individual, not an all-rookie thing.

So...hoping for the best from Maroney...just want to see him do it on a consistent basis.

Maroney = 5"11 217 at his pro day

Maroney = 5"11 222-225 now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back