Welcome to PatsFans.com

Coming to America!

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Mike the Brit, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +280 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Well, I had my interview in the Embassy in London, and it was as hot and long and bureaucratic as everyone said it would be. But now I’ve got my visa! And I’ll be coming to the U.S. – not just to the U.S.but to Cambridge, Massachusetts – in September. I’ll be here through till the middle of January, then be back in Europe for six months and then back in the U.S. again.

I’m very excited and I’m appealing to my friends on Patsfans.com for advice. Although it’s not fixed up yet, I should be getting somewhere to live in the next couple of weeks. But, as I well know, there are a million little things about living in a new country that are different from the old one. So I’d like any advice you could give me about practical things.

Of course, I can’t be in New England without trying to get tickets for my beloved Patriots. I’ll be really, really busy in September but, any time after that, I’ll be up for it. What’s the best way to try to find tickets? And then there’s watching the other games. What TV connection should I try to get and how to get it (I imagine that I’ll be in an apartment building of some sort, but don’t know about what connections it will have)? And then there’s other electronics, ‘phone. And I guess I’ll have to buy a car.

I’d appreciate any thoughts you have – either posted here or PMed to me.

Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,184 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

If you live in Cambridge MA (my condolences) or better yet West in neighboring Arlington (better) you probably don't need a car. Lots of public trans thereabouts. Car insurance is expensive in MA because its regulated and no real competition allowed. Renting a car for occasional weekends is cheaper.
    TV - Comcast cable (available in all apts) or even over the air (probably not viable in an apt) gets ALL the Patriots games and you'll also be able to watch Fifth Quarter the post game 1 hour show which is great. You get 1PM, 4PM and 8PM games on Sunday plus Monday Night football. Saturdays is for college football.
    Pats tickets. The only way is to offer personal sexual favors to season ticket holders or to pay over $300 on EBAY, STUBHUB or somesuch for a nosebleed seat or over $600 for a 1st tier seat (list price $125).
    Just get a cellphone and forget the landline.
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Mike, see PM I sent you.
  4. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +280 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Great advice, thanks. I'm not sure about going that route, though (unless one of Tyler Faith's friends has season tickets ...)
  5. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yeah and remember that those Yanks all talk funny as well! :D
  6. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Charlie Weis was driving that car. :D
  7. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +280 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Thanks -- my memories of Boston are that you need to look BOTH ways. :D
  8. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +280 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Interesting advice. I need a BT landline here partly to get Broadband (non-BT suppliers use the BT line as a route in) and partly for cheap overseas phone calls (using a 4-digit prefix). Cheap international calls are an obvious must -- calling internationally from a cell is for millionaires/business users only here.
  9. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

BTW, Patters lives in Cambridge so you might want to PM him (I'm not sure if he visits the General Talk forum or not), although I hope he doesn't mind me saying that. Are you emigrating?
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  10. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

:rofl:..........
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When you enter the roundabout (we call them "rotaries"), make sure you go counter-clockwise to the right.

Another good wat to see a Pats game is to go on a road trip to Buffalo or NYC. Buffalo is further, but it's a blast up there tailgating in the woods.
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Trust me. Get a map now and study it in advance of arriving, the roads are a bit confuzzleing here. Apartment prices are on the rise of late after a long stagnant period, so make sure you put your budget together with current info. A studio/hole in the wall in a prime location, like near the T or near Harvard Square will cost big bucks (12-15 hundred US per month) and will be tough to find parking for. Either get a car and move a little north or west, or plan to use the T, the Red Line brings you to/from the people's republic of Cambridge btw.

I live right across the river in Boston(Brighton) if you have any other questions I'll be happy to help.
  13. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +280 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Thanks, sd.

I have a bit of an idea of the geography, although that's more map and short visit based than from having lived here (I lived in Cambridge for a year in 1981-82 but my memory is pretty fuzzy). My employer is supposed to be sorting out an apartment; I don't know how much choice I have in the matter. But the idea of being without a car and hiring one whenever it's necessary is starting to look appealing.
  14. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +280 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Skiing

Is anyone else a skier and knows about skiing accessible from Boston? I have a skiing friend who is a Boston native (and an instructor in the Alps) who says the best way to ski from Boston is to fly to Europe. Surely he's exaggerating.
  15. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Theres wachusett mt. 40 mi. west, near worcester, elevation I believe is under 2000 FT.
    2 hrs. north is waterville valley in n.h, that was one is pretty good for intermediates. Also around this area is cannon mt., where the old man of the mountain fell to his death after a million year life.

killington in vermont, and sugar loaf in maine. The ones I listed in n.h. , vt. and maine average at 4000 ft. elevation.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah I think if you've skiied the Alps you'll be a bit dissapointed with what New England has to offer. I go out to Wachusset a few times a month in the winter so on the rare occaisions I head north I'm impressed, but our mountains are more like mole hills compared to what's available over there.

I think Zip Car still has a franchise in Boston. I've owned a car since I was 17, so I've never tried them out; but I'm told their service is pretty good.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You're going to hate what they've done to Hahvid Squayah. The Wursthause and the Tasty are gone. It really sucks, now.
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The lawfirm: Dewey, Cheetum and Howe is still there, as is the nuclear reactor(I'm not kidding look it up for yourself.) I have noticed a severe lack of eye candy my last couple of times through though. Not one miniskirt and almost zero haltertops:( this morning.
  19. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

TV and radio advice... buy a DIRECTV satellite so you can get BBC America and Fox Soccer Channel; you won't need Sunday Ticket (unless you want to watch the other teams) because you'll have the local channels. Radio... purchase a Sirius Satellite Radio so you'll have BBC Radio One and BBC World Service as well as the NFL Radio station. IF you don't get either a Directv or Sirius, then most likely you won't be able to watch or listen to any Premiership soccer or BBC.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When I was in high school (77-81), we would go on a road trip there on the first warm days of spring for the show...it was awesome! It actually made me want to go there, but I learnt that I needed good marks and lots of breeding to get in. I agreed with the breeding part, but I think they meant something else. :mad: