Welcome to PatsFans.com

Coming soon to a vehicle near you: Man fined for smoking in his van

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

Man, I sure wish we were more like those freedom loving Europeans. :rofl: WTF is wrong with this planet? We ticket people for not camoflouging their trash cans, and arrest them for protecting their own homes. Bizarro World.

Painter fined for smoking in van

Gordon Williams says he will appeal against the £30 fine

[​IMG]
    A painter and decorator from Ceredigion says he is "dumbfounded" after being slapped with a £30 fine for smoking a cigarette in his own van.

Gordon Williams says he had popped to the shops earlier this month, when he was pulled over by council officials. "I was told that because my van is my place of work I had broken the smoking laws," he said.

A council spokesman said Mr Williams had acknowledged the offence and elected to pay the fixed penalty. "I am dumbfounded - the van is only insured for private use and to get me to and from work," added Mr Williams, from Llanafan, near Aberystwyth. "It not my place of work - I decorate houses not vans."

The grandfather decried the on-the-spot penalty as the "Big Brother state going too far". He added: "I respect anyone who chooses not to smoke, but I would also ask for the same respect to have the freedom to smoke in my own private vehicle."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7524526.stm
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

If you want ot smoke in your van move to San Francisco----:singing:
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

If it was his own van I'd agree. But say he's the boss and the other person in the van doesn't want to inhale his smoke. That's pretty much the same as someone smoking in the office and forcing underlings to inhale it.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

TOo many laws... there are more important things for the constablery to do..
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

That article actually made me angry. If you're going to put all these limitations on cigarette smoking, why not just ban the sale of cigarettes altogether? Problem solved. Oh what? Too much money is being made off of their sales? Well then do us all a favor and STFU.
  6. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

7. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

If your boss chooses to smoke in a van he owns you either deal with it or find a new job.
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

You could use the same justification for sexual harrassment. By that logic he shouldn't have to abide by OSHA standards either. If there aren't many jobs in a given area it's exploitation to expect workers to sacrifice their health for work. Just because he's the boss doesn't mean he has the right to treat workers however he pleases. What if every workplace allowed smoking? That would mean anyone who didn't want to breath that crap in would have to be jobless. Just more reactionary nonsense from right wingers that don't want to actually think about things before whining about them.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well, we all choose to work where we do given all the different positives and negatives. If the positives outweigh the negatives, you'll probably stay. If not you'll probably leave. It's very simple.
  11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

so why not let bosses sexually harass their secretaries? It is very simple, if you want to run a business and employ people, you have to meet certain standards to prove you cane create an acceptable work environment. Basic health would be one of those standards. And not everyone has a choice where they work. Again what if everywhere allowed smoking in the workplace? That would mean you couldn't find a job without having to sacrifice your health. Until recently this was the case for food servers, bartenders, flight attendants etc.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

The sad part is that there are a lot of people who think like Wildo does. What a sad direction society is headed in. Sue people, ticket people, and try to control behavior in all means possible. Truly tragic.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The bolded part is correct. If you have such an unacceptable work environment that no-one will work for you then you won't be in business very long.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Literally everytime I post my opinion, instead of actually addressing my points all you do is post some vague garbage like this. It's not entirely surprising that you don't have an articulable argument, but you could at least try not being such a passive aggressive dingleberry all the time.
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

unless every work environment in a given industry doesn't meet those standards. That's what prompted these laws. That's why they imposed OSHA rules for construction workers and sexual harrassment laws. If someone doesn't want to have to sacrifice their health for a job they don't have to. period. sorry.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's just stupid given what a huge number of people don't like smoke. It would be far easier to find a small business that allowed smoking in shared areas than one that doesn't.
  17. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

And most people don't like to be sexually harrassed, does that mean you should deal with it or work somewhere else? I've still yet to see you actually address this point.

And I specifically raised flight attendants and food servers because up until recently it was impossible to find work in a non-smoking environment in those industries. Without those laws they would have to sacrifice their health or not work.
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's because this thread is about smoking. You'll be bringing up Iraq soon.
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

That's a total obfuscation. Your justification for allowing smoking in the workplace is that "if the employee doesn't like it, they can go find work elsewhere." The same can be said for sexual harrassment according to that logic. Don't pretend you don't understand the analogy.
  20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Ouch that really hurt:rolleyes: