PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coming Soon to a Stadium Near You ~ The Stunning Resurgence of Jermaine Cunningham!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Coming Soon to a Stadium Near You ~ The Stunning Resurgence of Jermaine Cunningha

You might get racked for this, but I agree with it. I loved Cunningham's play in the preseason. He was constantly in the backfield at all times.

But, let's remember that Taylor Price looked like the next great thing at times in the 2011 preseason and the defense, as a whole, look All-World last year. The preseason isn't always the best barometer for how you're going to play when the games actually matter. While I understand that this is a prediction thread, some of you should temper your enthusiasm... at least for now.

1 ~ Love ya, Kontra, but you need to worry about yourself.

I cannot fathom anybody who considers enthusiasm a thing to be tempered...nor do I wish to!! :D

2 ~ You appear to've made a false assumption: My Prediction is based on what it's been based on this entire offseason, when I was here defending him, even as 99% had written Cunningham off:

His history, be it ever so brief.

In my mind, 2010 said far more about what to expect from Jermaine Cunningham...than 2011 did.

Back to the Lab with me!!
insane.gif

Re: Coming Soon to a Stadium Near You ~ The Stunning Resurgence of Jermaine Cunningha

You remember 2010 incorrectly. He got hurries and even 6 hits on the QB in 2010, but he lacked the strength to convert them to sacks. This past offseason he clearly put some serious weight room time in, and he looks must stronger. He's also improved his pass rushing technique substantially. Hence his vast year-to-year preseason improvement. THe mystery is what he was doing last offseason...

Well last year he was locked out of Gillete Stadium and while one would think he could get the help he needed on his own its not going to be the same as being at Gillete all offseason.

Yeah you go brother OTG. This forum needs more of this stuff. I am growing so tired of the all the fights between Andy and newcomers or Deus and some random poster. Keep it coming, I got your back brother OTG.
Whoa! Sweden! F....the notion of a "Patriot Nation". The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is an INTERNATIONAL CONCEPT!!:D

Whoa! Sweden! F....the notion of a "Patriot Nation". The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is an INTERNATIONAL CONCEPT!!:D

It sure is brother Patsguy, it sure is.

JC's processing speed was a clear strength from the beginning. He's not a remarkable athlete, but he's smart. The fact that Jermaine was starting in the daunting 3-4 olb spot his rookie year speaks to that. The ability to read the defense and a decent lateral quickness made him a pretty darn good run defender. If he trades out his marshmallow puff hands for some hammers (which it appears he has), he will excel this season.

It would not shock me to see, assuming Jones is something above average, Cunningham catching a lot of blockers and QB's offguard.

Gee, I wish for, but then don't really expect certain fans to add some perspective.

Jermaine Cunnningham was a premium pick who flashed as a rookie, confirming that he was what was projected in the draft. It has taken what appears to be into this third season to mature.;)

I wonder how many of you would have put up with 6 years it took for Bruscii to develop. Or as Pitt fans, would have been more than ready to discard one Mike Vrabel, as a poor and disapointing draft failure after three seasons?:confused:

Ron Brace appears to be yet another player who needed time to develop; and is now also showing signs of 'getting it' too. The Pats need that big interior run stuffer too to add to Vince and Love.:)

Rome wasn't built in a Day.:snob:

Last edited:

Ian has board bandwidth to worry about.

And yet you're adding to it while adding nothing new, insightful or at least entertaining. OTG usually has two if not all of the 3 above in his posts.

If Ian has a problem with it, I'm sure Ian is capable of handling it.

The board has it's share of people who do nothing but complain, whine, and moan constantly, yet rarely offer anything of value. Maybe Ian should consider limiting them?

Bumping thread based on interesting BB praise for Cunningham today. I think all agree last year was a step back and the improvement this year has been impressive. Never knew he had shoulder surgery after the 10 season - couple that with no offseason program, the step back makes more sense -

"He didn't have that opportunity prior to the '11 season, and after the '10 season, at the end of the season, he had surgery on his shoulder, and that limited his offseason that year too. "

Leftovers from Belichick conference call - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
/leftovers-from-belichick-conference-call

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...576/belichick-praises-cunninghams-improvement

Also worth noting that a washed up (in my opinion) reporter who should be sent to pasture (in my opinion) is implying that Cunningham's improvement is mysterious and not to subtly (in my opinion) implying steriod use. Interesting that BB's mentioning of the injury comes out on the same day the jerk puts the mysterious improvement comment out there in his weekly grades. I don't think that is a coincidence.

(edited to explain my reading of the mysterios comment better and further clarify my statements are opinion :))

Last edited:

The OP is looking somewhat clairvoyant this day, as Cunningham continued his resurgence into the regular season. He was far more impressive in his spot duty than Ninko was the whole game. If this continues, then I expect we'll see a lot more of this kid on the field. Ponder this as a starting front seven for the next few years:

DL: Jones - Wilfork - Love - Cunningham

LB: Mayo - Spikes - Hightower

I'm salivating. The D as a whole, and especially the front seven, looked fast, aggressive, and smart. The tackling in week 1 was superb and the best I've seen since the days of our heroes (Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Harrison, et al.).

Ian,

Could you please lock all text editing functions on OTG's account?

TIA,

JJ

Ian,

Could you please put additional text editing functions on OTG's account? I think he is limited by what's there now.

TIA,

RT

Ian has board bandwidth to worry about.

And yet you're adding to it while adding nothing new, insightful or at least entertaining. OTG usually has two if not all of the 3 above in his posts.

If Ian has a problem with it, I'm sure Ian is capable of handling it.

The board has it's share of people who do nothing but complain, whine, and moan constantly, yet rarely offer anything of value. Maybe Ian should consider limiting them?

PREACH it, Brother Trek!! :rocker:

I MUST have been busy, this weekend, if I missed THIS gem. I cannot fathom nor abide whiners!!

Well SAID, Sir!! And: Thank you kindly!!
beer.gif

PREACH it, Brother Trek!! :rocker:

I MUST have been busy, this weekend, if I missed THIS gem. I cannot fathom nor abide whiners!!

Well SAID, Sir!! And: Thank you kindly!!
beer.gif

Some people do not appreciate a fresh approach. They'll cry that much more so we must turn it up and... bring the noise!!!

Though I agree with both of you, OTG and Trek, I must kindly request that we not allow such a fine thread to degenerate into the BS. I love the premise of this thread (huge Cunningham fan here) and would like to see more productive commentary and opinion added to it without the excess baggage (so to speak).

Though I agree with both of you, OTG and Trek, I must kindly request that we not allow such a fine thread to degenerate into the BS. I love the premise of this thread (huge Cunningham fan here) and would like to see more productive commentary and opinion added to it without the excess baggage (so to speak).

Shouldn't you be directing this request elsewhere??
spock.gif

OTG that block by Love in your sig is quite possably the single greatest block mine eyes have ever seen. I've watched it about 100 times and gone ohhhhhhhh every one when the KC player just hits the brick wall of love. The best part is when he hits the ground and Love is just standing over him like yup you my b*&$%.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I've noticed many posters writing off young kids way too soon and clearly don't understand how long it take some players to get it. A little bit of patience and understanding leads to the occasional diamond in the rough which, I agree with you, it's looking like JC is turning into.

Three years ago Belicheck looked at his Defense and understood that it was getting Old and Slow and the rebuilding process began. I believe you call him the "mad genius" for reasons like JC and Brace and players he just seems to know will take a little bit of time and coaching. Here's hopeing to more of the first game, the young, fast, talented D we saw shut down the Titans.

Speaking of getting the Thread back on Track...

The OP is looking somewhat clairvoyant this day, as Cunningham continued his resurgence into the regular season. He was far more impressive in his spot duty than Ninko was the whole game. If this continues, then I expect we'll see a lot more of this kid on the field. Ponder this as a starting front seven for the next few years:

DL: Jones - Wilfork - Love - Cunningham

LB: Mayo - Spikes - Hightower

I'm salivating. The D as a whole, and especially the front seven, looked fast, aggressive, and smart. The tackling in week 1 was superb and the best I've seen since the days of our heroes (Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Harrison, et al.).

That is indeed a tremendous looking Front 7...

What gets me just as excited, though, is our phenomenal Depth of Talent at every position.

I've never seen us come even close to what we now boast, in terms of young, talented Depth.

Not in 2003.

Not in 2004.

Not ever.

Shouldn't you be directing this request elsewhere??
spock.gif
OTG, I hope you've subscribed to NFL Gamepass. Some of Cunningham's moves on the ALL 22 footage would have brought a smile to your face.

OTG that block by Love in your sig is quite possably the single greatest block mine eyes have ever seen. I've watched it about 100 times and gone ohhhhhhhh every one when the KC player just hits the brick wall of love. The best part is when he hits the ground and Love is just standing over him like yup you my b*&$%.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I've noticed many posters writing off young kids way too soon and clearly don't understand how long it take some players to get it. A little bit of patience and understanding leads to the occasional diamond in the rough which, I agree with you, it's looking like JC is turning into.

Three years ago Belicheck looked at his Defense and understood that it was getting Old and Slow and the rebuilding process began. I believe you call him the "mad genius" for reasons like JC and Brace and players he just seems to know will take a little bit of time and coaching. Here's hopeing to more of the first game, the young, fast, talented D we saw shut down the Titans.

Thanks, Brother Paz!! I don't remember where I yoinked that Sig Pic from, but yeah, I LOVE it!! :rocker:

And I agree with you 1000% on the importance of having patience with these kids.

Indeed, there are a number of them that I think are poised for big Resurgences, this year, or Accelerations in Growth. I highlighted them on my various positional posts, this past weekend, but to consolidate them, here:

1 ~ DT Kyle Love. I'm looking for'm to establish himself as one of the better starting D Tackles in the entire league, this year, and the potential tandem of him and Vince Wilfork in the middle should be terrifying!!

2 ~ DT Ron Brace. As you mentioned. Everything I've been seeing and hearing tells me that this is the year it finally clicks for'm...And as a brutal, mauling, run-crushing presence in the middle ~ and as a valuable rotational partner for Vince Wilfork and Kyle Love ~ his potential Impact is immense.

3 ~ MF Brandon Spikes. A ferocious and inspiring leader, a savage hitter, and blessed with outstanding Processing Speed, Spikes has stumbled here and bumbled there, but is poised to bring it all together and produce an absolutely monster year in the middle of this Defense...and I believe he shall.

4 ~ CB Devin McCourty. I seriously doubt that his alleged confidence problems last year were anything but the product of the fevered imaginations of the local hacks ~ confusion, yes. Lack of confidence?? I doubt that. McCourty is a smart, aggressive, and extremely confident young stud who was simply beset by a classic case of Sophomore Jinx, last year. I am quite confident that he's learned what he needed to learn, and ~ with a normal offseason to integrate with the rest of'is mates ~ he and many others who slipped out'f sync in the wake of last year's disruption will come roaring back. I think he's gonna have an outstanding year.

OTG, I hope you've subscribed to NFL Gamepass. Some of Cunningham's moves on the ALL 22 footage would have brought a smile to your face.

Hmmm...'Fraid not, Brother: Dirt Poor College Student, and all that...Plus, I read something around here suggesting that there wasn't much to it...I do tape every Game, of course, and plan on kicking back at my leisure in the next couple days with the remote in hand to replay this and rewind that...

Tell us more.

JC had a solid game. It made me :D. I can't remember his blocker getting any push on him. The same goes for Chan Jones actually. The move Jones put on Roos :eek:, or perhaps I should defer to Phil Simms and just say, "My gosh."

The potential versatility we talked about with JC, particularly as a DT in a sub package, became quite real Sunday. His sack came as a sub-package DT if memory serves, and the move he put on the guard was embarrassing. We even saw some of that finishing that we all clamored for in 2010.

But the truly embarrassing moment of the day was Vince casually tossing a blocker aside :eek:. Anyone have a gif of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back