Welcome to PatsFans.com

Comical and Halarious books.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by fleabassist1, Sep 18, 2007.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Anyone read any really funny books recently? I mean laugh out loud.

I am currently re-reading my "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy". Prolly' the funniest book I have ever seen in my life.

2. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +170 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

Catch 22 is one of the funiest books I've ever read.

3. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'd recommend a number of Carl Hiaasen's books, particularly Skin Tight, Double Whammy and Tourist Season, or if you have an interest in history try George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series. For one with an American theme, Flashman and the Angel of the Lord would be perfect, as Flashman finds himself holed up with John Brown.

4. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

If you like science fiction humour like the Hitch-Hiker's Guide, the obvious writer to point to is Terry Pratchett. Then there is the brilliant Robert Sheckley. The true pioneer in this area.

Edit: Wikipedia quotes Douglas Adams on Sheckley: "I had no idea the competition was so terrifyingly good." For science fiction humour see also Stanislaw Lem.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  5. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Talking of Pratchett, some of the best bit of graffiti I saw was in the toilet at Hull University . It read:
    Person A"I was here in the year of the fruitbat"
    Person B:" get a life, you sad b*stard"
    Person A or C:" ook!"

:D

6. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I read that 20 years ago but, I still use quotes from it to this day. So long and thanks for all the fish.

7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Truely a classic book. Re-reading it is making it all the funnier. My favorite part is where Arther says something along the lines of "I am having trouble with my lifestyle" which creates a wormhole which sends his words to a distant time in a distant galexy where two massive battle fleets are awaiting to send nuclear death towards each other and they are sitting at a table where one of them is like "take back what you said about my mother" and just then the wormhole opens and his words leak through and it so happens that those words are the most insulting insult possible in the language so the battlefleets begin battle destroying countless lives over thousands of years but when it is found out that it was a mistake, they decide to join forces to attack us since we where the source of the mistake - so they travel thousands of years and eventually attack earth with their massive battlecruisers but due to incorrect judgement of scale the entire fleet is eaten by a small dog.
    (Takes a huge breath)

Thank you so much for those, I will look into them! I have hear of Sheckley before - I believe I may have one of his books somewhere in my library of endless books.
    Since I have nothing to do at work I am re-reading my list of books. I just finished the lord of the rings series (Great read, last line in return of the king makes it all worth it) - the silmarilion - and the hobbit. After the hitchikers, I am going to revisit the fantastic voyage and perhaps afterwords I will look into those authors!

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

Funniest book I ever read, is "Confederacy of Dunces".... absolutely crazy funny book written in New Orleans, the author, John Kennedy Toole, committed suicide and this was published posthumously. It is such a good read, I have now read it 3 times... enjoyed it every time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  9. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

For the erudite, (my wife turned me on to these), Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series. After you've become addicted, the Jack Spratt Nursery Crime chronicles are must reads.