PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combing the Combine: Saturday's notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
broadwayjoe said:

Worst choice of words from a guy whose weight is an issue:

Auburn tackle Marcus McNeill had the honor of blocking for both Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams two years ago for the Tigers. So which guy did he prefer to pave the way for? “Trying to decide who I’d rather block for is like trying to decide between a cheeseburger and fries. I like them both.â€

McNeil was a surprise with his 40 time, but watching him in the position drills I saw the same slowfoot I watched in the Senior Bowl.

Some observations on OTs at the Combine:
- Colledge, Winston, Whimper, Whitworth where the most athletic OTs.
- Colledge was compared to Mankins by Mike Mayock who was grousing about him only lifting 225/21 reps, but stated he liked him because he was a technician.
- Winston was apparently the talk of the O-line coaches per Butch Davis. The combination of his athleticism and how well he was bouncing back from his knee injury had them drooling...
- Whimper has only one year as an OL, he was a DE/DT before this. I had him as the best LT in the Hula Bowl.
- Whitworth was Mayock's size/athleticism surprise, projected to move over to RT.
- Toledo lifted 32 reps and clocked in at 5.11 in the 40. His weight is up to 337 which may have hurt him in the change of direction drills.
- Charles Spencer lifted 30 reps and clocked in at 5.28. His weight is up to 352. He showed quick feet in his drills. I'd like him for the right side, G ot T, but I want him to drop 25 lbs.

Using rook's vertical jump indicator:
LT Colledge: 32.5 (Very athletic and very fit)
LT/RG Joseph: 32 (Short [6'2"], but his 35" arms are as long as 6'6" D'Brickashaw Fergusen's)
RT Boothe: 31.5
LT Whitworth: 30.5 (Showed better feet in drills then I remember from the Shrine Game)
C Eslinger: 30
-------------------
LT Winston: 29 (I have him tied with Colledge for my top tackle)
LT Wimper: 29 (Very athletic, 7.38 in 3-cone + 4.95/40)
OG/C Spitz 28.5 (Mayock showed tape of him at both Gs and C, reminded me of Hochstein as far as his upfield blocking and versatility)

Didn't realize that NFL coaches participated in these combine tests the way they do, thought the brain trust observed from the sidelines. Yesterday saw Dante working up close and personal with the OLmen which has to be extemely valuable for the Pats evaluation of these guys.

Box_O_Rocks said:
McNeil was a surprise with his 40 time, but watching him in the position drills I saw the same slowfoot I watched in the Senior Bowl.

Some observations on OTs at the Combine:
- Colledge, Winston, Whimper, Whitworth where the most athletic OTs.
- Colledge was compared to Mankins by Mike Mayock who was grousing about him only lifting 225/21 reps, but stated he liked him because he was a technician.
- Winston was apparently the talk of the O-line coaches per Butch Davis. The combination of his athleticism and how well he was bouncing back from his knee injury had them drooling...
- Whimper has only one year as an OL, he was a DE/DT before this. I had him as the best LT in the Hula Bowl.
- Whitworth was Mayock's size/athleticism surprise, projected to move over to RT.
- Toledo lifted 32 reps and clocked in at 5.11 in the 40. His weight is up to 337 which may have hurt him in the change of direction drills.
- Charles Spencer lifted 30 reps and clocked in at 5.28. His weight is up to 352. He showed quick feet in his drills. I'd like him for the right side, G ot T, but I want him to drop 25 lbs.

Using rook's vertical jump indicator:
LT/RG Joseph: 32 (Short [6'2"], but his 35" arms are as long as 6'6" D'Brickashaw Fergusen's)
RT Boothe: 31.5
LT Whitworth: 30.5 (Showed better feet in drills then I remember from the Shrine Game)
C Eslinger: 30
-------------------
LT Wimper: 29 (Very athletic, 7.38 in 3-cone + 4.95/40)
OG/C Spitz 28.5 (Mayock showed tape of him at both Gs and C, reminded me of Hochstein as far as his upfield blocking and versatility)

thanks for the recap. Good work.

I could see the Pats drafting Whitworth. 5th year senior, size,
toughness, smarts and durable. If we lose Ashworth and Neal
would allow us to slide Kaczur into RG and we will be very good
on ol. Can probably trade down and get an extra pick too. I'm
usually not big on taking ol too high. Especially, with wr looming
as a gaping need. I thought Givens might sign with Pats. But,
not looking likely. I was hoping we could use this draft to get
younger and faster on defense. Looking like free-agency is going
to direct some higher picks to offense than I hoped.

I just read that Jay Cutler threw up 23 reps, or two more than Colledge. I think that says more about Cutler though. For an Offensive lineman, is there really a difference between throwing up 225 22, 24, or 27 times? Frankly, as long as they can get 20, I think they're plenty strong enough. Tony Mandarich probably had the best bench ever, and we know how far that got him.

dryheat44 said:
I just read that Jay Cutler threw up 23 reps, or two more than Colledge. I think that says more about Cutler though. For an Offensive lineman, is there really a difference between throwing up 225 22, 24, or 27 times? Frankly, as long as they can get 20, I think they're plenty strong enough. Tony Mandarich probably had the best bench ever, and we know how far that got him.
Agreed.

Box_O_Rocks said:

Yeah, this solidifies Colledge as my #1 OL prospect for the Pats.

Box_O_Rocks said:

Agreed...appreciate the update, the one big concern with Winston was his injury recovery. Overall he's a rarity in this OT class -- smart, agile and athletic rather than huge, powerful, and lazy.

I also want to thank you in general for sharing your visual impressions of the combine workouts. I don't have NFL Network...numbers are easy to come by, but skills evaluations are rare and invaluable.

dryheat44 said:
For an Offensive lineman, is there really a difference between throwing up 225 22, 24, or 27 times? Frankly, as long as they can get 20, I think they're plenty strong enough

Hopefully a few teams get concerned about Colledges 'lack' of strength and he slips a few notches in the Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes