PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Wide Receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep class of WRs, I will be surprised if the Pats don't take a WR in the first 3 rounds.

Percy likes BB....hmmmm if we got the #20 from Detroit I'd be ok with taking him if he was available

As I just said in another thread, I love Kenny Britt, Robiskie and Deon Butler.

As I just said in another thread, I love Kenny Britt, Robiskie and Deon Butler.

Britt had a propensity for dropping the ball a lot in his earlier years. He reminds me a lot of PSU WR Bryant Johnson who went in the first to Arizona. I would definitely stay away from Britt.

I like Britt. Watched him a few times this season for Rutgers. Looked hard to cover and showed good hands. Wouldn't be upset with him at all.

His big problem is actually bad hands, drops a lot of balls.

Darius Heyward Bay ran a 4.3. Wow! Did he just sneak himself into the 1st round? I think he'll be an early 2nd at least now. Didn't DryHeat like DHB as a prospect? What are your comments on his route running and intelligence. What did you see on film that you liked about him?

I've felt all along he was the top WR in the draft. I'm sorry, I can't back Crabtree as a first rounder playing in that Mike Leach offense. It's like a parody of a football offense. And Maclin looks more like a punt returner to me.

What I know about DHB was what I watched on Saturdays. About impossible to cover, and a Fitzgerald-like determination to win any ball in the air. To be honest, I didn't know he was that fast...so maybe that explains the uncoverable part. I'd love to re-watch the Wake Forest game to see if he matched up against Alphonso Smith and how he did, because otherwise the ACC wasn't that impressive this year.

Likeable kid, seems humble and hard-working from what I've seen in interviews. I don't know if the Patriots want to spend a 1 on a WR, but if they get him in front of the blackboard and he possesses the requisite football knowledge, I think he'd be hard to pass up.

I've felt all along he was the top WR in the draft. I'm sorry, I can't back Crabtree as a first rounder playing in that Mike Leach offense. It's like a parody of a football offense. And Maclin looks more like a punt returner to me.

What I know about DHB was what I watched on Saturdays. About impossible to cover, and a Fitzgerald-like determination to win any ball in the air. To be honest, I didn't know he was that fast...so maybe that explains the uncoverable part. I'd love to re-watch the Wake Forest game to see if he matched up against Alphonso Smith and how he did, because otherwise the ACC wasn't that impressive this year.

Likeable kid, seems humble and hard-working from what I've seen in interviews. I don't know if the Patriots want to spend a 1 on a WR, but if they get him in front of the blackboard and he possesses the requisite football knowledge, I think he'd be hard to pass up.

The spread makes it difficult to gauge TEs and QBs and such, but I think if you watch Crabtree, you know he possesses many of the abilities that Fitzgerald does.

I can't say his routes are great, but if the ball is thrown near him, he's going to come down with it. Simple as that.

How did Aaron Kelly do in the drills? Anyone know?

I was disappointed that Brandon Tate couldn't run, but hopefully he'll show he's fully recovered on his pro day 3/17.

Last edited:
Sure. Returns punts, has quicks. The only caveat would be whether or not he can stretch the field instead of taking the underneath like Welker.
Intermediate at least, he has the speed for the deep routes too.

Mike Thomas won't come close to lasting til day two, imo.

Sure. Returns punts, has quicks. The only caveat would be whether or not he can stretch the field instead of taking the underneath like Welker.

I think he's purely a slot receiver, so to the Patriots, I imagine his value would be lessened.

Just read about Jeremy Maclin getting hurt during drills. Talk about getting your made of glass label early!

Just read about Jeremy Maclin getting hurt during drills. Talk about getting your made of glass label early!

Crabtree got injured too and that dude didn't even workout. So the top receivers might drop a few spots, but I don't think they'll drop out of round 1.

I'm looking at Deon Butler on day 2. The guy seems to be a playmaker, and he's fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back