PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Laurinitis just dropped himself to round 2.

I see Barwin and Sidbury as risers.

I think Laurinitis just dropped himself to round 2.

I see Barwin and Sidbury as risers.

You are thinking this based on a combine? An entire career of game film is worth less than a combine position drill result?

I would say that this is pretty darn accurate as to what I saw, with a few minor quibbles. Laurinaitis looked smooth and good in the drills compared to how he ran (and for the record, I am NOT a Laurinaitis fan). I'm not sure I liked Worrell Williams as much as you, and Phillips looked ok but not great. Gerald McRath looked very smooth but he's too light to be of interest to us.

The most interesting thing I saw was the old film of Mayo from last year. He looked even better than Curry, albeit for only 1 drill. And faster too, though not as big or powerful.

Laurinaitis did look better in the drills, though he has a real issue with going from a backpedal to moving downhill. He's really going to have to be put in a scheme where he can just go sideline to sideline. Williams and Phillips weren't great, but they both looked capable of changing directions and dropping back without losing their balance, despite not having the loosest hips. McRath looks closer to a safety than a linebacker. I still can't see Curry as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but he's clearly the best all around linebacker prospect in this draft. Right now, I'd be thrilled with something like Beatty or a top corner at 23, Barwin/Sintim with a move up from 47, Gilbert or Brace at 58 and Brinkley in the 4th.

Right now, I'd be thrilled with something like Beatty or a top corner at 23, Barwin/Sintim with a move up from 47, Gilbert or Brace at 58 and Brinkley in the 4th.

Good analysis. As of right now, the options at #23 which intrigue me are Beatty at OT, Maybin at OLB, and a top CB/S prospect (need to see how they look tomorrow). At #47 I could see Alex Mack OG/C, Barwin or Sintim at LB, or one of the S prospects (Delmas/Chung/Moore, maybe Sean Smith; need to see how they look tomorrow; the top CBs should be long gone by then). I like Gilbert or Eric Wood at #58 right now. Still not ready to bite on Brinkley, but we should look at him further.

You are thinking this based on a combine? An entire career of game film is worth less than a combine position drill result?

I wasn't high on Laurinitis in the first place. And he looked stiff and slow at the combine. I see him as strictly ILB. And not a very smooth one at that. If that doesn't drop him, then what does?

Did both Sintim and Rey get hurt? That's disappointing not to see more of them.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks Brinkley will last past 3 or 4 rounds is crazy after the way he played today.

Fortunately the Pats draft players from actual game films -- not from Combine drills. Brinkley is actually better than some here have given him credit for. The drills don't make or break a player, they're just part of the equation.

Beckwith looked awful, doubly so for a guy who supposedly was athletic and fast but lacking size
He's a good football player first, who plays the position well. He doesn't have to impress here at the Combine to get drafted by the Pats. Perspective is certainly needed forum-wide.

He's a good football player first, who plays the position well. He doesn't have to impress here at the Combine to get drafted by the Pats. Perspective is certainly needed forum-wide.

Except that he's small and slow and didn't play so well his senior season. I highly doubt he gets drafted by the Patriots for a multitude of reasons, and my perspective is fine, thanks.

Anyone who thinks Brinkley will last past 3 or 4 rounds is crazy after the way he played today.

Totally agree, I'd rank him near the top of the "made himself some money" list.

EDIT: that was an empty statement, so I'll elaborate: Brinkley was in the unusual position of having contradictory film, pre- vs. post-injury. By showing well at the Combine, he makes a strong case that his weak season was just a recovery issue.

Last edited:
Fortunately the Pats draft players from actual game films -- not from Combine drills. Brinkley is actually better than some here have given him credit for. The drills don't make or break a player, they're just part of the equation.

The fact is, this draft is light on legitimate MLB's. Brinkley once showed a lot of football ability, early in his SEC career. Injuries and too much weight made a lot of people, including myself, question his change of direction and top-end speed.

He is certainly rising up OTHER teams draft boards rather quickly based on his performance, and PROVEN POTENTIAL (pre-injury).

Also, don't doubt the importance of the combine, as most of our recent LB and CB pickups have shown extremely good speed/quickness for their respective position.

Last edited:
Sintim with a 4.78

This is why I'd love to get an early 2nd in the Cassel trade, I think thats right around where Sintim should and will go.

I love Brinkley's measurables, and thought he looked good the one time I've watched and focused on him. But posters I trust more than myself and who have seen him more are not high on him, so I shall proceed w caution.

Might Maualuga slide to 23 if he cannot do anything till pro day? I don't really know how much NFL scouts put into these last couple of weeks

Except that he's small and slow and didn't play so well his senior season. I highly doubt he gets drafted by the Patriots for a multitude of reasons, and my perspective is fine, thanks.

Why didn't you elaborate this way the first time? Makes more sense than just critiquing a drill -- no? And perspective is lacking -- with some exceptions. ;)

The fact is, this draft is light on legitimate MLB's. Brinkley once showed a lot of football ability, early in his SEC career. Injuries and too much weight made a lot of people, including myself, question his change of direction and top-end speed.

He is certainly rising up OTHER teams draft boards rather quickly based on his performance, and PROVEN POTENTIAL (pre-injury).

Well done.

Also, don't doubt the importance of the combine, as most of our recent LB and CB pickups have shown extremely good speed/quickness for their respective position.
Yes, and would you like to know which Pats draft picks had the top numbers at their respective Combines?

My goal was to penetrate the depth of opinion -- thanks for sharing.

Might Maualuga slide to 23 if he cannot do anything till pro day? I don't really know how much NFL scouts put into these last couple of weeks

If he has a bad pro day too... then yeah. But then, why would we want him?

Last edited:
If he has a bad pro day too... then yeah. But then, why would we want him?

No, i'm sorry i meant till draft day. What if he couldn't show us anything till draft day??

Why didn't you elaborate this way the first time? Makes more sense than just critiquing a drill -- no?

We were discussing how guys looked in drills. All I said was that he looked terrible in the drills in the first place. This is a discussion thread about the combine, after all. It didn't seem fitting to offer a full critique of every player.

I'll be rewatching the NFL Network DL/LB Combine rebroadcast, but I've got to jump in here and vote "nothing before round 5 on Brinkley!" I've read all the love he's received from fans over the past 3 years and I don't see it. The guy may have been a stud out there today, but put him in pads and he's looking for a clue. Jays gave me props for liking Barwin, well Barwin caught my eye because he had a nose for the football, everytime I watched South Carolina Brinkley struggled finding the football and he actually looked more athletic "after" his knee injury. If you want to lobby for a Gamecokk, choose a receiver.

I'll be rewatching the NFL Network DL/LB Combine rebroadcast, but I've got to jump in here and vote "nothing before round 5 on Brinkley!" I've read all the love he's received from fans over the past 3 years and I don't see it. The guy may have been a stud out there today, but put him in pads and he's looking for a clue. Jays gave me props for liking Barwin, well Barwin caught my eye because he had a nose for the football, everytime I watched South Carolina Brinkley struggled finding the football and he actually looked more athletic "after" his knee injury. If you want to lobby for a Gamecokk, choose a receiver.

actually, the guy you 'liked' all along was sintim........

I've been on the Barwin bandwagon for a while, he's today winner without a doubt.
1) Incredible athleticism, this guy can run, can jump, has awesome hips fluidity, he's the total package.
2) High character guy
3) He's raw, but he's a hardworker guy with athleticism, I think he can make the conversion (DE to OLB) very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back