PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, Maualuga hurt.

4.59 for Clay Matthews.

Maualuga ran 4.83 and pulled up lame.

Who would have thought Jasper Brinkley would run faster than James Laurinaitis?

James Laurinaitis 4.81!!! I thought he looked fairly smooth.

All those people who said he would run 4.5's like Mayo and projected him at #23 - what do you think?

I don't care for Laurinaitas, and that result doesn't totally surprise me. He's a football player but not a great physical specimen. He's not going to get bigger or faster, which means he's undersized for our scheme, and he's not really fast enough for something like a Tampa-2 defense. His best bet is the Will in a conventional 4-3 I think.

Who would have thought Jasper Brinkley would run faster than James Laurinaitis?

Me, I love the guy. When I saw him play, he looked like the second coming of Levon Kirkland. Huge guy that can actually move.

I never ever thought I'd hear Laurinaitis and Kirkland in the same sentence.

They play NOTHING alike, to be honest.

McKillop runs like he has a stick up his ass. I didn't have much interest in him but now I have none.

I have to say, I was on the fence about Barwin, but I think that interview finally sold me. Number 47 on him would be just fine by me.

Me, I love the guy. When I saw him play, he looked like the second coming of Levon Kirkland. Huge guy that can actually move.

Which year did you see Brinkley play? This past year he looked slow and tentative like he was still in the process of recovering from injury (which would be understandable). He looked much better in the bowl game but I'm concerned that he may never make it all the way back from the knee.

Sintim with a 4.78

Anyone catch the time for Phillips?

I have to say, I was on the fence about Barwin, but I think that interview finally sold me. Number 47 on him would be just fine by me.

Me too. I'd been hoping he would last till #58, but that seems pretty unlikely right now, though we'll have to see how he does in the positional drills. He looked good in the 3-cone.

I think Aaron Maybin has also looked more impressive than I thought. I would be happy with one of those 2 as an OLB prospect.

Which year did you see Brinkley play? This past year he looked slow and tentative like he was still in the process of recovering from injury (which would be understandable). He looked much better in the bowl game but I'm concerned that he may never make it all the way back from the knee.

I saw him a couple years back, and was just struck that a guy his size could move that well. I didn't see anything of him the year after, but I had a lot less time to watch football then. He did look to be struggling with the injury last year, but I didn't see that much of him either. That's why I went and watched his rehab interviews, and I liked what I saw. I didn't see the Game****s' bowl game, but I heard it was good for him, and the way he ran, I think he's far enough back from the injury.

He just ran again, 4.69, and looked very fluid. I love the way he runs, he doesn't struggle at all. Natural stride. If he plays between 250 and 260, he'll be able to take on guards easily and still play sideline to sideline.

Last edited:
Me too. I'd been hoping he would last till #58, but that seems pretty unlikely right now, though we'll have to see how he does in the positional drills. He looked good in the 3-cone.

I think Aaron Maybin has also looked more impressive than I thought. I would be happy with one of those 2 as an OLB prospect.

The only worry I have with Maybin was how he struggled with anchoring at end and defending the run. He was a guy that could be run at last year.

The only worry I have with Maybin was how he struggled with anchoring at end and defending the run. He was a guy that could be run at last year.

The kid is 20. He is still growing.. I'd expect him to develop to a point where he could set the edge easily.

4.80 for Laurinaitis. He just looks slow. Smooth, but slow.

The kid is 20. He is still growing.. I'd expect him to develop to a point where he could set the edge easily.

Given his frame, I could see that happen. He needs to get stronger for sure though. It'll probably take him a good year of working to put on muscle and add strength to his lower body. After seeing the way he moves, I think he can make the move to OLB, and I'm not opposed to him at 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes