PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybin has looked impressive in drills. Looks a lot better than his 40 times indicate.

Aaron Maybin and Michael Johnson look very fluid (though Maybin just made a terrible drop). Paul Kruger looks terrible - 4-3 DE all the way.

Patchick, I'm not sure I agree with you that Maybin looks so bad.

Orapko tweaked a hammie and is done.

Maybin looked very good in space, flipped his hips and adjusted to the ball. I'm sorry, but I do see a lot of good LB characteristics.

Lawrence Sidbury looked awkward in space. He looks like a guy who is much more comfortable going forward than backward.

Maybin has looked impressive in drills. Looks a lot better than his 40 times indicate.

One of the things about Maybin is that he is still so young being only 20. He is one who I think the Pats would look at

Maybin looked very good in space, flipped his hips and adjusted to the ball. I'm sorry, but I do see a lot of good LB characteristics.

Lawrence Sidbury looked awkward in space. He looks like a guy who is much more comfortable going forward than backward.
Yes, he looked good as a LB in space, where I want to see him is battling in the trash, he moves well with his feet, but when he tried to work with his hands and feet together - stack & shed drill specifically - he struggled. He's still a raw second round prospect for me, but not a lost cause by any means.

Yes, he looked good as a LB in space, where I want to see him is battling in the trash, he moves well with his feet, but when he tried to work with his hands and feet together - stack & shed drill specifically - he struggled. He's still a raw second round prospect for me, but not a lost cause by any means.

I'm not on the Maybin bandwagon, but he has exceeded my expectations with his fluidity and movement in space. I want to keep an eye on him.

I just got off a call and think I missed English. Anyone see how he ran through the hip drills?

I just got off a call and think I missed English. Anyone see how he ran through the hip drills?
Pat Kirwin felt he struggled there, but did not write him off. There will be a streaming video rebroadcast tomorrow on Live

Darry Beckwith 4.70.

Brinkey running a 4.65

Last edited:
Patchick, I'm not sure I agree with you that Maybin looks so bad.

Yeah, I was a little harsh. It's not that he looks bad, he just looks like he's here a solid year too soon.

Brinkey running a 4.6

4.65 - impressive for Brinkley.

Aaron Curry 4.54 - right on schedule. He is money, and will make a ton of it.

Brian Cushing - 4.64.

Mayo was @4.5, right?

Yeah, I was a little harsh. It's not that he looks bad, he just looks like he's here a solid year too soon.

I don't know - it sounds like with another year he would be a legitimate top 10 pick and out of range. He's showed less linear speed than I expected, but better agility. I'm interested - need to see more.

I get so few chances to disagree with you, I need to take advantage of them. :D

I don't know - it sounds like with another year he would be a legitimate top 10 pick and out of range.

Ah, that explains the disagreement...I was thinking of it from his perspective, not a PatsFan's perspective! :)

Mayo was @4.5, right?

Mayo was 4.54, with a 40.5" verticle (same as Connor Barwin). Gary Guyton was fastest of the LBs last year at 4.47. That's our "old slow" LBs.

Brinkey running a 4.65

Awesome. Brinkley was a later round guy I thought would be a great value. I had him in my mock. He could REALLY play before he hurt his LCL. I watched some interviews with him about the rehab process, and he struck me as a smart guy that understood the work it would take to be an NFL linebacker. At his size, a 4.65 is excellent. I'd love to pair him up inside with Mayo to be the thumper and allow Mayo to roam and be a playmaker. Hopefully our future SILB.

James Laurinaitis 4.81!!! I thought he looked fairly smooth.

All those people who said he would run 4.5's like Mayo and projected him at #23 - what do you think?

Awesome. Brinkley was a later round guy I thought would be a great value. I had him in my mock. He could REALLY play before he hurt his LCL. I watched some interviews with him about the rehab process, and he struck me as a smart guy that understood the work it would take to be an NFL linebacker. At his size, a 4.65 is excellent. I'd love to pair him up inside with Mayo to be the thumper and allow Mayo to roam and be a playmaker. Hopefully our future SILB.

Read my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye