PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Barnes looked awkward.

Burnett was smooth enough.

Butler looks smoooooooth. Great feet, too.

Chung looked better than expected.

Don Cary started high from Prime, but he wasn't too bad with his feet.

Yeah, I'm all over Darius Butler. He's just really, really smooth in that transition. Good size, good speed, smooth and efficient, can play man or zone and you can put him up in press coverage. What's not to like?

Moore made me say out loud "Geeeew!". Which means ugly in my grunt vernacular. Poor footwork, strides too long, takes a while to get into his transition.

Last edited:
Delmas again, me likey.

Butler has looked the smoothest in group 1. Davis has the nicest backpedal. Delmas looks the best of the safeties.

Moore made me say out loud "Geeeew!". Which means ugly in my grunt vernacular. Poor footwork, strides too long, takes a while to get into his transition.

Where was Moore there? Did I miss him?

Cary Harris isn't bad looking, he also had a good All-Star game.

Hodge for his size isn't too bad.

Interesting note about JaMarcus Sanford's bench. Did anyone see his technique on his reps? It was a very narrow-grip bench press, with his elbows in tight to the body. What does this mean? It means he is moving the weight more with his triceps, inner pecs and front delts and less with his middle and outer pecs. This is a very sport-specific permutation of the lift. It shows me that he is training in a very sport-specific manner for his combine, and his time in the weight room will translate to functional playing strength.

[/meathead geekout]

Most linemen were lifting this way also, with one exception, and I don't remember who other than it was a D-line guy, was lifting with a very wide grip...which I found very unusual, since by removing the arms and shoulders from the equation, you're guaranteed to lift less.

Donald Washington - 10'1-" broad, 45" vertical. He was one of my sleeper picks, but he'll get some attention with that.

Don Cary u4.48/4.49 he looked good in his All-Star game.

Ahh, I was just about to ask if he was invited...glad I actually read through the thread. He's my official sleeper binky.

Wrong group, Jays must mean someone else...Davis?

I thought he was in the other group too. Davis didn't look that bad. He has a very nice backpedal, but his transition is oddly mechanical. It doesn't look like it hurts him in any way, it just looks... rehearsed. Like he's thinking about it. He keeps his hips low and flips them fast, but his stride doesn't start back up until he's most of the way around.

Emanual Cook is rated a selfish "me" player by a South Carolina watching friend.

He has a long list of transgressions to back up that label. He's a UDFA to me.

Last edited:
Ahh, I was just about to ask if he was invited...glad I actually read through the thread. He's my official sleeper binky.
He's a good sleeper, but Ladarrius Betts was the kid who jumped out me in Texas vs. The Nation, great make-up quicks, actually knocked down a pass on a sideline comeback route, amongst others.

C.J. Spillman vert 41.5"

He's another I think is very underrated. I may be in danger of setting a record for most consecutive posts on a thread. Damn the lack of television in my cube!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back