PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine madness, the scouts are wrong (link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=cr-brohm022408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This is about Brian Brohm and how the scouts--after taking a closer look--have begun to favor guys like Henne and Flacco over him.

It's as though the last 4 years didn't matter at all.

I have watched so much of Henne and Brohm, I know them better than a great many starting NFL QBs. I've watched Brohm play in about 20 games. Henne in more.

This kid Brohm is easily a better QB, and for my money he's the best QB in the draft. He won't be the next Marino, but he has a similar story. Marino was downgraded because of his senior season. Blackledge, Eason, OBrien, were all selected ahead of him. Brohm came back for his senior year, but his coach Petrino flaked out, and the replacement was in over his head.

Whoever gets this kid at the top of the 2nd round will have an absolute steal. You know what worries me? If the Jets get this guy in the early 2nd, we could be looking at a Jets team with a REAL QB for the next decade.

Last edited:
Re: A great example of combine/scouting madness

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=cr-brohm022408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This is about Brian Brohm and how the scouts--after taking a closer look--have begun to favor guys like Henne and Flacco over him.

It's as though the last 4 years didn't matter at all.

I have watched so much of Henne and Brohm, I know them better than a great many starting NFL QBs. I've watched Brohm play in about 20 games. Henne in more.

This kid Brohm is easily a better QB, and for my money he's the best QB in the draft. He won't be the next Marino, but he has a similar story. Marino was downgraded because of his senior season. Blackledge, Eason, OBrien, were all selected ahead of him. Brohm came back for his senior year, but his coach Petrino flaked out, and the replacement was in over his head.

Whoever gets this kid at the top of the 2nd round will have an absolute steal. You know what worries me? If the Jets get this guy in the early 2nd, we could be looking at a Jets team with a REAL QB for the next decade.

You've watched much more of Brohm than I have; I've seen plenty of Henne and I don't believe Henne's the prospect he's being made out to be. IMo he lacks pocket presence and field vision/awareness. One of the knocks I've read on Brohm appears to be his maturity level, having been overcoached relentlessly from a young age by a domineering coach father. Not sure how that matters. Personally I am big fan of Matt Ryan and believe Miami would be wise to select him #1.

Last edited:
Re: A great example of combine/scouting madness

You've watched much more of Brohm than I have; I've seen plenty of Henne and I don't believe Henne's the prospect he's being made out to be. IMo he lacks pocket presence and field vision/awareness. One of the knocks I've read on Brohm appears to be his maturity level, having been overcoached relentlessly from a young age by a domineering coach father. Not sure how that matters. Personally I am big fan of Matt Ryan and believe Miami would be wise to select him #1.

Well, in that sense, he's very similar to Drew Brees in terms of family pressure. And he also plays exactly like Brees though he has more size (and less mobility). Throws a very similar ball to Brees, and manages the game in the same way. His brother was also the OC at Louisville before the coaching change.

Re: Delete Wrong Forum

Drew Brees has always been one of my favorite Qbs, mainly because of his character. IMO as a leader of men he is on par with Brady. He has always had a wisdom and maturity about him that make him a great field general, and players around him believe in him. That is the definition of the "it" factor. Assuming you agree with me on Brees' leadership traits, does Brohm have that ultra-important quality? That would be the determining factor for me on where I would draft him. Talk to any of the BC players and they speak about Ryan with almost religious reverence.

Re: Delete Wrong Forum

Drew Brees has always been one of my favorite Qbs, mainly because of his character. IMO as a leader of men he is on par with Brady. He has always had a wisdom and maturity about him that make him a great field general, and players around him believe in him. That is the definition of the "it" factor. Assuming you agree with me on Brees' leadership traits, does Brohm have that ultra-important quality? That would be the determining factor for me on where I would draft him. Talk to any of the BC players and they speak about Ryan with almost religious reverence.

Well, he has lead Louisville to some big come-from-behind victories. I haven't seen him flustered until his senior year (but his coach was awful, awful, awful). Until then, the kid made great throws with great accuracy.

I'll definitely keep an open mind on Brohm, based on your evaluation. I was being influenced by a lot of press, which is dangerous about a player you haven't watched yourself more than a couple times. Those thursday night big east games were never an attraction for me, so I basically missed his career.

Henne moving back up to number 2 or 3 billing at QB shouldn't be surprising. He was number one on many lists heading into the year, I believe, and struggled with injuries this year, resulting in the drop. Seeing him healthy and making all the throws and running surprisingly well should restore his stock in the scouts eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes