PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Not making excuses, but in retrospect, the season ending injury to Colvin was a big setback for our defense. When Thomas got moved to the outside to take Colvin's spot it took him out of the rotation in the middle. That was when we started giving up more yards on the ground. And as much as I like Thomas, I think Colvin is a better pass rusher. Hopefully we can get Colvin back next year and move Thomas back to the middle, where he ismore effective.

I made the same point here, not just the Colvin/Thomas thing but the impact on Vrabel's numbers :

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=77055

I missed Colvin greatly - OTOH, all teams have injuries and we were actually lucky this year with injuries. Colvin. Morris. Neal off and on. That's about it for major players. I sure hope we have Colvin next year, preferably with a new contract as it's his last year; although going into his UFA year, despite costing $7M, he could have a monster year as most players seem to play well in contract years.

Losing Colvin this year and at that time kind of reminded me of us losing Rodney Harrison in the middle of the 2006 season which ended up with the season on a sour note...just like this one

On the offensive side of the ball, the loss of Sammy Morris was big. Definitely could have helped the blocking last night.

On the offensive side of the ball, the loss of Sammy Morris was big. Definitely could have helped the blocking last night.

not really..Faulk and Maroney have blocked very well..we just decided to use Faulk in passing game instead and abandon the run which allowed Giants to simply play pass all game.

I ran into to Colvin's father at the superbowl last night and he said rosey was oding good, he was out of the boot. He said it was a break that did not need surgery. He was a nice guy too.

Not making excuses, but in retrospect, the season ending injury to Colvin was a big setback for our defense. When Thomas got moved to the outside to take Colvin's spot it took him out of the rotation in the middle. That was when we started giving up more yards on the ground. And as much as I like Thomas, I think Colvin is a better pass rusher. Hopefully we can get Colvin back next year and move Thomas back to the middle, where he ismore effective.

I killed the pass rush.

Personally, I think Thomas was actually more effective inside. Maybe it was because Colvin, Thomas, and Vrabel were all on the field at the same time, but he did seem to make more plays other than a few games including last night from the ILB position. I think Vrabel was clearly our best defensive player before Colvin got injured and the whole defense suffered with Colvin gone. If Colvin can come back 100% and does something about his cap, I think he will be really welcomed opposite Vrabel outside.

My wife works here in indy with rosies cousin denita he has told her he hopes the colts talk to him he has a new house here in indy. Wouldn't mind seeing him as a colts player that would be ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye