BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Better there than the Colts, I guess.

June 4, 2008, 12:53AM
Free agent linebacker Colvin to visit Texans today

By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, a free agent whose specialty is rushing the quarterback, came to Houston on Tuesday night and will visit the Texans today.

Colvin, who turns 31 in September, started only 10 games for New England last season because of a foot injury. He had four sacks after recording 8 1/2 in 2006, his last healthy season.

The Texans are looking for another outside pass rusher to complement Mario Williams. Colvin (6-3, 250) has played in a 4-3 and 3-4.

Sadly, this is the best news I've heard in weeks. I'd much rather he sign with a non-entity like the Texans than coming back to bite us in a game vs. Indy.

You've got your rings, Rosie. Go for the money!!!

Sadly, this is the best news I've heard in weeks. I'd much rather he sign with a non-entity like the Texans than coming back to bite us in a game vs. Indy.

If he plays like he can, that'd be a good team of Mario Williams and Rosie Colvin to pressure the QB. With Okoye and Ryans, they'd be pretty solid in the front 7.

If he plays like he can, that'd be a good team of Mario Williams and Rosie Colvin to pressure the QB. With Okoye and Ryans, they'd be pretty solid in the front 7.

And one that could give fits to AFCS QB's twice a year - including P. Manning. :D

I wish I knew the true story behind why he's not still with the Pats. I mean, if he can pass a physical and the money could be adjusted ... Must just be about his contract.

Anywhere is better than INDY.

I think it would be a good move by the Texans...Keep him from a division foe and add to a pass rush that is very important in a division with Peyton. Not to mention the team can use as many veterans with rings as they can get to help create a winning attitude.

but it is hard to believe he would chose the Texans over Indy (winning and home) unless there is a huge difference in the money.

If he can still play, and does not sign with another team before TC, I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots bringhim back.

If he can still play, and does not sign with another team before TC, I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots bringhim back.

I actually would be a little surpirsed.

Normally no, but this just seems to have been handled a little different than normal. Starting with them cutting him before they had to to their apparent lack of intrest.

Maybe it is just a money thing and maybe if he doesn't get it elsewhere he does consider coming back but unfortuanatley I don't think that is the only thing going on.

I wish I knew the true story behind why he's not still with the Pats. I mean, if he can pass a physical and the money could be adjusted ... Must just be about his contract.

Reiss I think hits this on the head. Basically, it's kind of an awkward ego thing to be making $N amount of money, then getting cut, then resigning for big paycut of $N - X.

It's kind of like say you are working as a contractor some place for years and they let you go because you are costing them too much money.

Would you go back to work at your place of employment at a 50% pay cut, while others around you are making the same or more than they had, or would you simply go work some place else and still earn 50% of your previous salary, but without the frame of reference that you used to work with those people and used made much more money.

I think most people's egos would force them to work elsewhere and earn less.

besides the fact i dont see the pats resigning him if he is already on the books for a cap hit and isnt even here.. doesnt make sense..

Wow. If he returns to his normal self, the combination of him and Mario Williams could be deadly to opposing QBs (including one Peyton Manning :D)

Wow. If he returns to his normal self, the combination of him and Mario Williams could be deadly to opposing QBs (including one Peyton Manning :D)

Rip his head off, Rosie.

I agree with Tunescribe. There is somethng missing on the story of Colvin. As it stands, it does not quite add up as to why he's not back with us. A new , more cap friendly contract for 2 years, does not seem out of line. If he's passed a physical, its a no brainer.

I for one think the Pats made a mistake by letting him go, but its done so there is nothing that can be done.

I think he will have a fine season no matter who he plays for and perhaps in his mind the Texans are a team that has no where to go but up while the Colts are a team that just may have hit their peak and are now on the decline.

Reiss I think hits this on the head. Basically, it's kind of an awkward ego thing to be making $N amount of money, then getting cut, then resigning for big paycut of $N - X.

It's kind of like say you are working as a contractor some place for years and they let you go because you are costing them too much money.

Would you go back to work at your place of employment at a 50% pay cut, while others around you are making the same or more than they had, or would you simply go work some place else and still earn 50% of your previous salary, but without the frame of reference that you used to work with those people and used made much more money.

Where the analogy fails is that usually a contractor's abilities don't fall off markedly like an aging athelete's speed, quickness & endurance.

Best wishes to Rosie on his new team. Yeah, I'd prefer it's not the Colts but unlike the Vinitraitor, it wasn't HIS doing.

I agree it's about egos...but his skills have declined some..and the cap hit WAS quite large. I think THAT is what it was all about. But vets before have renegotuated in their latter years..in the back ended contracts..TedJ, Willie Mac..others. That does go on a lot.

Rosie to Texas is definitely in my comfort zone too. I didn't relish the idea of the Pats' facing him on the Colts. He'd be a good addition for them, so I hope he ends up with a nice place in Austin instead :)

Awesome!

I can't think of a team I'd like for him to go with more. He'll now get two shots at Manning a year.

By the way, Texans will be pushing hard for a playoff spot this year, had Andre Johnson not gone down last year I really think they would have gotten that second wild card spot.

Awesome!

I can't think of a team I'd like for him to go with more. He'll now get two shots at Manning a year.

By the way, Texans will be pushing hard for a playoff spot this year, had Andre Johnson not gone down last year I really think they would have gotten that second wild card spot.
Agreed. I think Houston is a good fit for him. And nice warm playing conditions, too.

Awesome!

I was on another board debating the merits of Texans' playoff merits, and when looking at their schedule, it's fairly favorable. They would have to go 3-3 or 4-2 in their division -- which is difficult but realistic, esp. if they sweep the titans.

So even if they go 3-3, I think they could quite easily go 7-3 with the remainder of their schedule. I won't look it up now, but really aren't any *tough* games on there. Pitt maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back