PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colvin versus Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
release colvin and use the extra money to help sign asante if not that then use it to extend wilfork.

Why CUT Colvin? Do you like purposely hand-cuffing the Patriots? Or do you just not know what you are talking about?

The Pats could easily extend Colvin and save quite a bit of money. And Colvin is a damn good OLB for this system.

Washington would have to seriously renegotiate his contract. He is due decent #2 WR money if the Pats pick up his bonus. That is far too much for a special teamer.

As for news about his contract, Miguel reported (through someone else) that the type of bonus he would get would be amortized over the life of his contract rather than hit all in 2008. That doesn't really help if we want to keep him primarily as a STer.

If you look at the cap hits now, Washington only had 300K in signing bonus money outstanding. So he could, very well, be cut. That could have been one of the ways that the Pats used some of their outstanding cap money from this year. By making it a roster bonus for this season.

I have to agree that Washington at nearly 2 million is a bit excessive for a guy who is strictly a special teamer.

Dead money year....

Stallworth and Washington knew this was a one and done, they are college teammates. With any luck Jackson will do SOMETHING, but I dont like his running style and the guy has no moves...straight liner like many of our 2nd round recievers that never made it. Sad thing is we TRADED UP to get him. We have drafted 13 db's in 7 bb years, only 5 are on the team,3 start. I think its significant the drop in Seymour's production, I hope the 2nd year after knee surgery helps him otherwise we have to find someone there. For linebackers, we will likely pick up a scrap heap guy(jets/dolphins)or even a "past his prime" salary cap casualty. Dont overlook Ray Lewis or Zack Thomas. Our first pick should only be LB if Mauaglua comes out. Battle for #2 quarterback should be more spirited too. This is likely Moss' last big contract, look for it to be like $40 million for 5 years with the last year a big cap hit, $15 million guaranteed. Samuel is SO GONE,so is Wilson, not even worth discussing. Colvin will cost us $1.8 to dump, and we will always dump another unexpected veteran to keep everyone on their toes. RE Harrison, Bruschi or maybe even Jackson.

Re: Dead money year....

Stallworth and Washington knew this was a one and done

I'll be shocked if Washington isn't on this team next year. His ST contributions and his contributions during practice shouldn't be underestimated.

Stallworth's effort is appreciated but I do not see how they keep him here with Gaffney, Jackson, Washington and even Childress on the roster.

My gut says Randy Moss won't break the bank with the contract he signs to stay here. He'll get money but I think at this point he is thinking more about enjoying his career over getting as much money as possible.

Anyways I'll restate what has been said in this thread because I think it is the absolute truth. In any given year our FO weighs a contract on whether or not it is good for the team longterm. I do not think Pioli and Bill would ever sign a contract that is bad for the team longterm just because it may keep them from being in a bind for a season or two at a given position.

In terms of maintaining a competitive team you are better off going from Samuel to Hobbs as your #1 CB than you are signing Samuel to a 90m contract. It's just not sound business to do so and keep hoping that TV contracts and cap increases will save you from cap constraints down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes