PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Columnist: T.O.'s star has "drastically fallen"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I'm an intuitive genius and I saw fail all over when I saw T.O. and Buffalo. He belongs on Broadway, not snow city.

Not that I care, I can't stand him, but he's all about publicity. Buffalo? Whoever made that decision belongs in the bad decision hall of fame.

T.O. just needs a quarterback that can get him the ball. Trent Edwards is clearly not that guy.

He's also not a great route runner. As a matter of fact, he was never a very good route runner. He can't beat press coverage either. His biggest, and only big asset is his strength, which is why he can get open through traffic, however, his lack of being a decent route runner prevents him from getting separation and getting open quickly. On the contrary, DeSean Jackson is THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Owens. Heck - Patrick Crayton runs much better routes(yeah, he has a big mouth, but he's an excellent route runner, especially against the blitz).

The only reason why he seemed so great in Philly was b/c McNabb can scramble around and buy time. And in Dallas - he was paired with the best TE in all of football(Jason Witten), and a bruising back(Barber).

He's also not a great route runner. As a matter of fact, he was never a very good route runner. He can't beat press coverage either. His biggest, and only big asset is his strength, which is why he can get open through traffic, however, his lack of being a decent route runner prevents him from getting separation and getting open quickly. On the contrary, DeSean Jackson is THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Owens. Heck - Patrick Crayton runs much better routes(yeah, he has a big mouth, but he's an excellent route runner, especially against the blitz).

The only reason why he seemed so great in Philly was b/c McNabb can scramble around and buy time. And in Dallas - he was paired with the best TE in all of football(Jason Witten), and a bruising back(Barber).

And with San Fransisco? I can't stand the guy, but saying he stinks except for when he played with every team he's played for is just piling on.

I don't like this Charles Robinson either. There's no relation to Marvin Harrison, why does he keep trying to make one?

Marvin Harrison is a little speed guy who got old and also blew out his knee. couldn't be much more different than Owens, who isn't recovering from knee surgery, that I know of. Just bad, lazy journalism.

I was talking about you primarily, but plenty of people in the media make excuses for TO. So do lots of GMs every time they sign him.

There was exactly one team that wanted to sign him, despite the fact that he was easily one of the most talented players in the FA market. Nobody's making excuses for TO. He was an awesome player on the field (maybe now he's only good) who is such an off-the-field distraction that 31 teams have decided that he's not worth the trouble. Hasn't stopped him from putting up hall of fame-caliber numbers, though. Don't get me wrong- I don't like the guy and would never want to see him on the Pats (even when he was with the Vikings, on the contrary, I was a huge Moss fan), but denying that he's a damn good WR is just stupid.

Last edited:
No question he possesses rare talent.High pain threshold.Extroadinary strength.Has great hands yet drops far too many balls.Some opine that his concentration lapses are due to attitude.

His personality is where his biggest weakness lies.He displays all the characteristics of someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder.Read the description given by the DMSR IV and you'd swear it was written with him as the test case.

14,337 receiving yards (73.9 Y/G), 14.8 y/r, 140 TDs say you are full of crap. You simply can not put up all-time great stats without being an all-time great talent in the NFL.

Last edited:
TO played like a warrior in SB39. But I think he would have been able to achieve more in his career if he could have (Please be quiet - edited).

Spot on, Patjew. If TO had taken the accolades from that game and built on them to address his past failings, rather than shooting his way out of Philly, I suspect few would take issue with him and he would be labeled one of the greatest receivers to play the game now. The stats would outweigh the focus on drops.

The media loves to play up his personality flaws. If you do not believe that, watch the clips in Buffalo in which the press is trying to bait him to throw teammates under the bus. I will not say TO didn't bring that on from Philly and Dallas, but believe the media is looking to make a story with this guy, even when there isn't one. He is a football player, not Gandhi, so, unlike I suspect many other players in the NFL, he puts his true personality on air and fans don't like seeing that. Who he is off the field has nothing to do with his athletic ability on the field. The whole "cancer in the locker room" notion is garbage as a team that does not have issues does not suddenly unravel when one personality shows up.

When he is on, he is genuinely great. When he is off, he still creates problems for defenses in coverage because he still poses the threat of catching his stride. Would I take him over Moss at any point in his career? Not a chance. But that is comparing two likely HOF receivers, not good and bad receivers.

Specific to the article, is he done? I don't think so, but he is much older than Moss was when he came to the Pats so I suspect he is not going to be a 100 reception guy with another team at this point in his career. I also think, in claiming he is done, the writer overlooks Lee Evans, a good receiver in his own right, who presently has 16 receptions, one more than TO. That probably says something about the offense.

And for those dumping on the Buffalo fan base, those fans have been loyal supporters of a team that has not been to the playoffs in a decade. There are so called fans here throwing the team and its players out after an overtime loss to an undefeated team after an 11-5 season. The fans for this team booed the Pats during the game ending a record consecutive win streak. A few bad apples do not define the fan base, it is defined by loyalty to a team when wins become the exception rather than the norm. As Buffalo has been in that class for some time, I am not about to call those fans out as they have demonstrated loyalty to that team.

Last edited:
Oh God, it lives.

I never said his ego wasn't a problem. However, you originally claimed that his play WAS.

He's not a clutch player. He doesn't play to win, he plays to get attention. Ergo, his play IS a problem.

...you have apparently failed to understand.

Lulz. Disagree with != misunderstand. But OK.

1) When a football team loses a game, it's easy to point the loss at one person. However, even the most inept coach in the league will tell you that it's a team game and, when the team loses, every player at every position could have done something to have improved and helped their team win.

Where did anybody blame TO exclusively for his team's losses in this thread? But he's been a part of a lot of teams' downward spirals, meaning he's more of a liability than an asset. I.e., a loser.

2) T.O.'s attitude and his megalomaniacal delusions of himself have always been the problem. Nobody will disagree there.

Yes.

3) T.O.'s play on the field has never been the reason why he's played for as many teams as he's had for the simple fact that he's one of the best wide receivers of this generation.

Best low leverage stats whore WRs of his generation.

You're speaking from personal opinion like the guy has slighted you somehow.

It's not personal, I just don't think the guy's a winner, or a disciplined football player, or a team player and would never want him on my team. You don't win Super Bowls with guys you can't rely on.

He's had some drops, but so has Randy Moss, and every other good receiver. No, T.O.'s problem, in my opinion, is his borderline mental illness. I don't say that with contempt, either, I think he has a problem and could benefit from professional help, but of course he's rich, famous, and an athlete, so he won't try to get it.

Spot on. Sadly it's difficult for folks with such problems to self evaluate and take appropriate steps to get help. Worse yet, professional athletes too often surround themselves with disfunctional hangers on who are not looking out for the star's best interests. TO's story is a bit of a Greek tragedy.

Last edited:
Spot on, Patjew. If TO had taken the accolades from that game and built on them to address his past failings, rather than shooting his way out of Philly, I suspect few would take issue with him and he would be labeled one of the greatest receivers to play the game now. The stats would outweigh the focus on drops.

The media loves to play up his personality flaws. If you do not believe that, watch the clips in Buffalo in which the press is trying to bait him to throw teammates under the bus. I will not say TO didn't bring that on from Philly and Dallas, but believe the media is looking to make a story with this guy, even when there isn't one. He is a football player, not Gandhi, so, unlike I suspect many other players in the NFL, he puts his true personality on air and fans don't like seeing that. Who he is off the field has nothing to do with his athletic ability on the field. The whole "cancer in the locker room" notion is garbage as a team that does not have issues does not suddenly unravel when one personality shows up.

When he is on, he is genuinely great. When he is off, he still creates problems for defenses in coverage because he still poses the threat of catching his stride. Would I take him over Moss at any point in his career? Not a chance. But that is comparing two likely HOF receivers, not good and bad receivers.

Specific to the article, is he done? I don't think so, but he is much older than Moss was when he came to the Pats so I suspect he is not going to be a 100 reception guy with another team at this point in his career. I also think, in claiming he is done, the writer overlooks Lee Evans, a good receiver in his own right, who presently has 16 receptions, one more than TO. That probably says something about the offense.

And for those dumping on the Buffalo fan base, those fans have been loyal supporters of a team that has not been to the playoffs in a decade. There are so called fans here throwing the team and its players out after an overtime loss to an undefeated team after an 11-5 season. The fans for this team booed the Pats during the game ending a record consecutive win streak. A few bad apples do not define the fan base, it is defined by loyalty to a team when wins become the exception rather than the norm. As Buffalo has been in that class for some time, I am not about to call those fans out as they have demonstrated loyalty to that team.

:agree:

Sadly I also agree with Joker.

Will be interesting to see if he holds up down the stretch in Buffalo or has a real melt down, and whether anyone wants to take one more shot. There are only a handful of places where it would possibly matter or potentially turn out well for all concerned. He needs a borderline elite and very secure QB/HC/OC combo and one hell of strong locker room foundation and he'd have to be looking to play for pride and not another 7 figure payday. Although it's more likely some idiot absent most of that will take one more flyer on him...

So you are saying that Buffalo fans aren't classy like you?

Actually I think it is pretty damned impressive to get to the superbowl four years in a row.

It is all about Winning the "Big Game". They have failed on all occasions.
It must suck to be a Bills fan. If you consider Second place to be an impressive accomplishment then I pity you. Second place is the 1st best "Loser":D.

The Bills can take it deep.:rofl:, but not deep enough.:D

hahaha

from earlier..... they are gutless failures. They are hurting so much they need to look to Toronto for support. Their own city doesn't even support them enough.:)

I know Buffalo fans that made a video when Brady tore MCL/ACL. Gutless haters..... and Brady jealousy. **** Buffalo

do not make them out to be "hero" fans. They are a joke of an organization that has failed numerous times in successive NFL Superbowls. They made it to the big stage and failed 4 times. "Ha-ha-Ha-ha"

-No points for second place.

I do not sympathize..... I ostracize that fanbase. They are a failure.

T.O. is just another in the long line of NFL wide receivers who have reached thier late 30s and are now becoming mediocre receivers like T.O. is right now...see Joey Galloway and last years version of Marvin Harrison for some examples.

While a few receivers are playing as well or even better as they age like in Derrick Mason who is 34,Most of them lose some of that special talent as the years go by.

Last edited:
It's not personal, I just don't think the guy's a winner, or a disciplined football player, or a team player and would never want him on my team. You don't win Super Bowls with guys you can't rely on.

There are a lot of reasons why the Eagles didn't win the SB in 2004, but Terrell Owens sure as hell wasn't one of them. 9 receptions, 122 yards on a busted leg... if only we could have a few more guys were 'unreliable' like that.

Yeah, we get it, he's a distraction in the locker room. Nobody's denying it. But on the field, he's an all-time great talent. Doesn't mean I'd want him on the Pats, but that doesn't make it any less true.

There are a lot of reasons why the Eagles didn't win the SB in 2004, but Terrell Owens sure as hell wasn't one of them. 9 receptions, 122 yards on a busted leg... if only we could have a few more guys were 'unreliable' like that.

Yeah, we get it, he's a distraction in the locker room. Nobody's denying it. But on the field, he's an all-time great talent. Doesn't mean I'd want him on the Pats, but that doesn't make it any less true.

We gave them Owens to take away Westbrook and McNabb scrambling. He had almost no impact on the game in spite of his stats. That's good game-planning, and we've seen it plenty of times before.

Oh God, it lives.

He's not a clutch player. He doesn't play to win, he plays to get attention. Ergo, his play IS a problem.

Where did anybody blame TO exclusively for his team's losses in this thread? But he's been a part of a lot of teams' downward spirals, meaning he's more of a liability than an asset. I.e., a loser.

Yes.

What a powerhouse argument. :rolleyes: I rest my case.

Oh God, it lives.

Yes.

There's really not much in here to support your claims regarding TO, only personal opinion strudel.

The cream's gone bad and the pastry has crumbled ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down