Welcome to PatsFans.com

Columbus Day: A Working Holiday?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 13 / -9

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I doubt many people with a minimum level of intelligence will stoop to comment on this idiotic "thought" you had. Of course I won't comment on an obvious "baiting all fools" supposition.

But I will say only someone with minimal intelligence and maximum anger could post this poor excuse of a thread topic. I used to believe you had "some" education COJ....guess I was wrong!
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

No Comment... I used to love Columbus Day, would get double time and a half... great holiday.
  4. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 13 / -9

Actually I am at work making double time & a half in Massachusetts.
    I also made double time & a half on MLK day.

It is too dam bad the whole country could not enjoy this.

In my line of work I have to keep track of bank holidays for just
    about every country.

India has an incredible amount of holdays.
    India Public Holidays 2009 (Asia)

About 4 or 5 holidays that are celebrated in 2009 will not be holidays
    in 2010. In 2010 they will have 5 new holidays.
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Although I think unions have done much to prevent increased productivity in this country, they did much for the average American worker as far as rights and benefits go. I often wish unions wouldn't be so stupid at times because Americans NEED unions to protect us. I have always said I will quit any company attempts to take away benefits. Unless they are doing so to stay in business.
  6. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 13 / -9

My biggest problem with the unions is there affilicaton with the democratic
    party.

I am not banging the republican drums....

I am just for smaller govermant and lower taxes.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

WTF are you talking about?

The first man to discover America was a Siberian guy wearing furs and carrying stone-tipped spears. He walked over from Asia.

The first European to "discover" America was a Norseman or Irishman in a boat.

Columbus was only the first Italian to discover Hispaniola Island. Big freaking deal. On top of that, he was a genocidal savage hell bent on one thing: spreading "Christianity".
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Leif Erikson is the first European to discover America. Actually, people from Asia or South America discovered our country long before the Europeans did so.
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If you're trying to make this racial, don't.

The reason many don't celebrate Columbus Day is how ridiculous it is in the first place. OTHER people discovered America first a few centuries before him, and even then, there were 100+ Million Native Americans living in North America before we "discovered" them. Also, Columbus ended up in an island off the mainland, he didn't even land on the continent on his first try.

Columbus Day is a perfect example of how White-centric this country is.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Do not get the link between unions and bigger government.. sounds like a stretch to this viewer...
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

All you losers just hate Italians! You're all gonna swim wit da'fishes I tell ya! You just hate spaghetti eating people! :mad:
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"I can state from my own knowledge and experience -- that Italian-Americans are among the most loyal -- most law-abiding -- patriotic, hard working American citizens in this land. And it would be a shame. Mr. CHAIRMAN if we allowed a few rotten apples to bring a bad name to the whole barrel. Because from the time of the great Christopher Columbus up through the time of Enrico Fermi right up to the present day -- Italian-Americans have been pioneers in building and defending our great nation. They are the soil o' the earth and one of the backbones of this country."

[​IMG]
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

You're getting really carried away Mav! Any country that was discovered by the "known world" was a valid discovery. Otherwise, native Americans would have "discovered" Europe!....;)

So of course those famous explorers who travelled the "unknown world" SHOULD have been credited with discovering any sociey or land that had yet been undiscovered.

Certainly Stanley & Livingstone were great explores (and men). If "white" society was more advanced than most others during the golden age of exploration, we still need to recognize them as the "Greatest explorers ever". Their race is irrelovant.

Try to name all the non-white explorers to discovered any country, ocean, straight, Sea or frozen iceland you can.

I'll be waiting....
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +783 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Gotta love it ... we celebrate a savage who killed many ... many native Americans. What's acceptable and not acceptable is a fugged up thing in this country. Last week we celebrate a President who rountinely has a hand in killing innocent civilians and this weak we celebrate a headhunter ... who woulda think it?
  15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I could sware that COJ said several times that he was self employed, so how could he make double time and a half. Unless he pays himself that, and then what does that have to do with unions ?
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +783 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

My favorite movie of all time ... watch it every once in a while just to clear my sinuses.:D
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Countries and people that were conquered don't get any sympathy from me. THAT IS what history is all about. American would not be the country she is had it never been conquered. I'm glad the Romans conquered other (more backwards) nations and I'm glad France, Great Britain, Spain and Italy did all the conquering they did as well. Why? Because it's what makes history so damned interesting.

Don't make the conquering of American any different than any other of the thousands of conquered people throughout history. Something that happened 400 years ago is no different than something that happened 5,000 years ago....it's all HISTORY!
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Maybe he's a "one man union" for a company he owns! Hopefully, he can bust that union soon if it's getting him "Double-time and a half"!!!!! :singing:

No one deserves "Double-time and a half"! :D
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Juan Ponce de Leon.--Vasco Nunez de Balboa.--Hernado Cortés.--Ferdinand Magellan.--Francisco Pizarro.--Hernando de Soto

Matthew Henson --Ban Chao--Hong Bao--Gan Ying--Ma Huan--Hennu--Ahmed Hassanein--Ibn Selim el-Aswani
  20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Just an FYI....ALL EUROPEAN COUNTRIES ARE CAUCASIANS. But I think you knew that. So all Italian and Spanish explorers were white.

As for the second group...nice job on Wiki!

Now quick....name each of their respective discoveries....STOP CHEATING! Don't look them up on the internet.

The FACT is, caucasians dominated the world from the time of Christ to the present. That's probably good and bad...but it is what it is....FACT.

Just look at all the "Territories" around the world that are held by countries comprised mainly of caucasians. I don't believe any race is better or smarter than any other....I believe they are all the same. Equally capable of good or evil.

But there were very few Asian or African explorers discovering distant lands during this period.

P.S. People from Spain are not "Latino"...they are spanish. The slang term Latino never refers to Spaniards. Tell someone from Spain they are "Latino"....and then duck! ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.