Welcome to PatsFans.com

Columbia U: Take Our New OWS Class

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 16 / -9

Regardless of how Columbia would react, that would be another excellent study, not in spite of the fact that the Tea Party was coopted, but even somewhat because it was. Think about what you learn about the morphology of movements seeing that happen first hand, as someone that goes to the local tea party meetings, say, once a month in a nearby suburb -- then of course go to the big gatherings every now and then when they pop up.

Lots to learn there, lots to document there.

In my senior year, a little before getting out of college over 25 years ago, I was approached by a dissolute old hippie/prof, who had this big tour to the American "fringe" planned. He was talking about hanging with the hippies, the "legit left", the Klan -- pretty much doing the whole Hunter S. Thompson thing through a political lens. The approach was among a bunch of like-minded people in a bar, and I was tempted, but the "I know, I'll take my semitic buttocks into the Klan and infiltrate" angle didn't seem prudent at that juncture. Or any other.

I don't have any qualms whatsoever about wimping out on that little tour. I have no idea what happened to the guy either. But hell, I think studying the spectrum (well, the part of the spectrum that probably won't beat the living sh1t out of you, anyway,) is a really legit exercise in learning about the country we take for granted.

2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

Really?

You sure you want to put that on your resume?

3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

Sure they have goals (see picture below) ......

Please don't confuse a goal with a direction.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Your effort to try to draw an analogy is pyss poor, as you obviously do not understand the context.. If you have time, might want to search for "OWS" using the search feature on this message board and see how many threads regarding OWS have been posted since the fall on this subject and then tell me that they are not getting free rent in the brains of the right. At one point there were two or three new threads on OWS daily..

Or you can just view what you think happens here, and proceed in your erroneous ways..

The reality is that the "Granny State Right" wants to control whatever you do under their banner of their political correctness.. God forbid that students have a choice to take an elective at a private college on OWS..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Considering I am retired and this happened in 1968, probably not.

6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 16 / -9

What we really should be studying is the causal link between early-life cab-driving and subsequent addiction to political message boards...

Harry & Darryl, which one of you guys was Bobby and who was Reverend Jim?

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

My guess is that you believe you can predict what will happen in the future???

If you study any movement lot of outlandish claims are made, but that is only a starting point for discussion..

Do not get the analogy of lending trillions of dollars to banks as having an impact on student loans. Taking a loan and having the Fed give you money to keep you afloat are two different things.

Still am apalled that the "Granny State Right" has a need to control what is or is not taught in a private university under the guise of political correctness..

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 16 / -9

But Darryl, how else can you ensure personal responsibility for other people?

9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

I do. For example, I predict that you will misunderstand one of my posts in the near future.:D

The complaint that we "gave" Wall Street billions is not an "outlandish claim", its one of the primary drivers for the movement.

Where did I say that it has an impact on student loans? I said that they are both loans. That's not an analogy, that's a "fact". Who did the Fed give money to?

I think your dismay is misplaced. Having a discussion is not control. Questions about participating in a political protest for college credit from an Ivy League university is not political correctness, IMO. I think "political correctness" is stuff like this:

Social justice and political orthodoxy - FIRE

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

When I was in college, I was the VP of a statewide student organization in NY, and took an independent study. I had to keep a detailed journal of my activities, which I still have, and which is about 75 pages long. It was a terrific experience for me. I traveled around the state organizing students, lobbied state assemblypeople, was almost arrested during a sit in at the New York State Assembly, and learned just how inept and corrupt state government is. My biggest memory was leading some students to lobby an Assemblyman (who went on to become a Congressperson--I think his name was Gilman) for student voting rights. He was drunk and yelling at us, "People without property rights shouldn't be allowed to vote." I said to him that's against the Constitution (though later learned that it was the Supreme Court in 1789, I think, that made that unconstitutional), and he replied, "The Constitution be damned!" I think courses like this if well designed are beneficial.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Down The Line:
    If America is still America 500 years from now will people still be "obeying the constitution" something that was written centuries ago when people were reading by kerosine lanterns and riding to work in a horse and buggy?

:confused::confused::confused:

12. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

An independent study is just that: independent. You designed the course. If this were set up as a course designed to observe political movements in general with OWS just happening to be the one that is in town currently then I think that it would be viewed differently.

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

In my opinion, we should try NOT to teach about "left & right" to our children and young adults. I say this because the only relevant topics we have in this country and globally are issues and solutions.

Left and right really have no meaning in and of themselves. One can say they are are either, but in reality, no one is left or right. It's just something we "think" is important when it isn't.

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

"Fire" is an interest source.. surprised you resorted to it... if they were so concerned about liberty, they would not have chosen to chastise Columbia and its free speech rights as a private university..

Your 0's are off, the banks got trillions..

The reality is that the Granny State Right have an inordinate need to control the most miniscule of issues, and this is one of them.. it is a freaking elective at Columbia a private university... this is a nontroversy that has gotten bigger than it should by the imaginative minds of the right.

15. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Requiring an "ideological loyalty oath" is exercising free speech? FIRE was criticizing Columbia's restrictions on free speech and thought.

The news about the Fed loans came out after OWS had already started. TARP was less than a trillion. But again, you are missing the point. The banks got trillions in LOANS.

Does Columbia get Federal funds (student loans and grants, research monies, etc)? If so, then as argued by others earlier they aren't entirely "private" then are they?

16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 16 / -9

Now we've taken an interesting turn indeed... where we opine that we shouldn't teach the basic referents by which we've described political positions since the French revolution, because... why again?

Oh, and something called "FIRE" says it's very very important indeed that if there's any public funding for a university, a university can't do fieldwork related to a political movement, I take it?

It's all about what you can't study, innit?

The more ignorant we are the fairer it is for everybody, something like that?

PFnV

17. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

What in the world are you talking about?

No, you misapprehend. FIRE didn't comment about public funding, Darryl did:

As did your wife:

I was addressing Darryl's statement that this was a class at a private university so everyone should just butt out. Selective application of that idea, I guess.

I brought up FIRE and their sparring with Columbia over the "social justice" oath because I saw that as an example of political correctness (the oath). That is something that actually impacts students. What power do all of us discussing this have over Columbia?

You mean ideas like "hey hey, ho ho, Western Civ has got to go"? I think that belongs to your team. ;)

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

I am glad to see that a Private University has the foresight to study this political movement as an elective. The most obvious result is the predictable right who have a need to become outraged at this course, which at best is a non-troversy.

This proves the point that the right needs to get upset at something, anything, each and every day.. as well as their need to control what happens in every facet of our lives, i.e. The Granny State Right..

If the right had their way they would grab one of their backpocket "activist judges" place an injunction on this from happening... that would fix the lefty baztards.

19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 16 / -9

Life's short. Do you, B5, have any problem with the new Columbia class studying the OWS movement?

20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Correct me if I'm wrong("I can't wait": Bill Belichick to Michael Felger:p) but aren't we losing in all this well rounded education vs wasting money on any courses not readin, writin and rithmatic debate is the probability that the first goal of the course is to promote, grow and make the movement a successful one...at least as seen by Hannah Appel? Columbia is well within their rights but I'm sorry to say that agenda is trumping education here.