Welcome to PatsFans.com

Columbia U: Take Our New OWS Class

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The bolded: I tend to be socially liberal (but fiscally conservative ;)) so I have no problem with juniors, seniors, and post-grads taking some interesting, thought-provoking, out of the box, easy-credit :p courses, I might have taken one or two myself:halo:

And yes, I think there were many tea partiers who sympathized with some of occupy's causes and most definitely their right to protest but that's not the same as offering an upper/post grad course in Tea Party 101. I'd think THAT was as inane as OWS 101. "Let us wash the dishes".

Our very own POTUS is a CU grad (supposedly ;)), a recent photo of him appears among the famous alums.

I read that Columbia's getting a huge govt grant, mostly for financial aid purposes.

Columbia IS known for it's research and the class DOES fall under the Anthropology Dept.

I didn't make the connection at the time but when you mentioned research I remembered reading the above. I wish we had a little tin hat icon:singing:

2. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That was funny I don't care who you are:D

3. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

4. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

5. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I think that's one of their biggest PR problems; nobody's really sure what their goals actually are and while all of Wall St should definitely be in jail so ahould a lot of other people. OWS didn't seem to ever shift their focus towards the places they should have shifted to, like the Fed, Goldman-Sachs, or even onto anti-war. Or to the Dean's office.

6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bingo. The class in question could have been taught by any PhD in Anthro, taken the class in that same direction which you described in your earlier post. If the prof happened to also be a "veteran" protester then all the better, but THIS class is being spearheaded by an occupier. How biased can that prof be? Like you said, your classes were not dependent upon the prof's beliefs. I'd rather attend a class on Catholicism taught by Tom Hanks' character than a priest if you know what I mean. I'd definitely like the priest to be a guest speaker though. The occupy class would sit better with me if this "veteran occupier" was a guest speaker rather than The Prof herself.

Makes perfect sense to me:cool:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is OWS is crazy.

Colorado Wednesday/My lesson in Marxism | Adam Vs The Man

In Colorado, they are giving Anti-Capitalism teach-ins... And many feel you do not own your body, you do not own what you can produce.

This is the failure of our country if this thought process continues with the progressive left.

8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

Do you mean there are pro-life OWSers? I don't doubt it, it just looks like the upshot of the bolded comment. Or do you mean they are against selling blood or other bodily fluids to "banks" for those fluids? Or do you mean they are against treating a rare genetic tweak in their makeup as "found" intellectual property -- the property of whatever medical establishment "patents" it?

The literal readings of what is bolded above should certainly take priority over other meanings which pertain by way of metaphor -- which of them do you mean?

PFnV

9. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

Hmmmmmmmmm, I think it makes disinterested sense to me. As in, attempting to do uninterested observation.

But if you think about it, by extension, only atheists could teach religion classes. Which puts me in mind of a legendary graffito (? - singular of graffiti -?) seen on a bathroom wall in a religion dept. building:

"Every god-damned professor in this department is an atheist!"

According to the legend, a second brilliant mind had come along and scrawled below it,

"Thank God!"*

When you read the course description, it seems as if participation is necessary to complete the course successfully. You're doing research, but also participating -- although the student safety bit forbids you from occupying something they don't want you occupying, participating in direct actions, and the like. They are minimizing the chance of lawsuits and bad anthro-ethics press.

But I wonder if your "veteran" prof is not a better guide to what's going on there. I think I shared some of what I've seen just online and in TV reports about the "People's Mike" and their hand-gestures that signal silent retorts or support in meetings, apparently born of the lack of amplification in Zuccati park and their ideology of flat organization.

So if you're a college junior about to go out and do OWS fieldwork for credit-hours, are you better off with an old anthro prof who'd just as soon talk about the pottery sherds from Mohenjo Daro, or are you better off with the OWS lady that briefs you on using "down-twinkle" gestures rather than screaming "YOU SUCK!?"

Okay, over to my own observations (no credit hours) from the DC site... what never occurred to me when I went over there was that people were greeting each other, having impromptu small-group "meetings" with their neighbors, etc. The details of culture from lack of amplification (above) are fascinating from an anthro perspective, but I think -- THINK -- that's more prevalent at the NY site. But at the DC site I was struck by the fact that for all intents and purposes they were establishing a little "mini society," with its own mores and values. Example - beyond regular neighborly behavior - lending a hand "raising a barn" (helping w/re-staking a tent), lending some small object, etc. - I saw people immediately pull out phones to document an encounter when a cop came over to the site. (There was actually a weird altercation between a resident & a regular civilian... I was actually much more sympathetic to the civilian than the occupier, and that story itself would fit well in an anthro volume on the movement.)

But is that "mini society" "viable" outside one brief moment in time?

Come on, I'm pushing 50 here. No, of course it's not. Is it something they'll never do again, that they couldn't replicate if they tried? Yes, it is. Does it give you an idea of how unlimited your human freedom is, how creative and directed your freedom of association can be? Turn on your TV news any given night. Yeah it tells you something about that.

Anyway back to the original contention... more comfortable if there were a non "veteran" in charge.... hmmmm.

Here's what would make me most comfortable: teach two sections of the course, or do it differently at two campuses. One completely disinterested and instructed not to be conspicuous if they could help it, but not to participate, and taught by a "neutral" who's in it only for purely objective measurements. Surveys, raw numbers, that sort of thing.

Have the other section do what this course is doing... it's going to be a much richer vein, especially taking the oral history of the movement.

I'm not sure "Section 2" taught by the neutral guy, where you aren't mingling in the movement, would be tolerated more than a few days. The kids have tinfoil hats too.

*For our younger readers, such exchanges are not, in fact, continuations of bulletin board flame-wars whose participants have folded down their laptops or put down their phones in recognition of nature's call. They are actually from an ancestral tree preceding the internet.

11. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +459 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

The OWS is just a joke. Everyone can agree with the basics of what they started out saying, at least to some extent. But, as it stands now they are against the 1%, but not the 1% they like. They are against evil corporations, but not the evil corporations that they like.

People can see this and that is why only 35% of the country sides with them even their initial message had some merit.

Add in the fact that they have done nothing positive to address the problems of America as they see them, and you have a movement that is just a movement to be a movement.

12. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I like that scenario better too except for one thing: the "neutral" prof shouldn't just be about the numbers and stats; he/she should be teaching about the evolution, or attempted evolution, of a new culture much like some colleges teach about the communal living attempts from the 60's. The prof doesn't have to be a veteran commune resident but (s)he needs to include one in the class.

It's too soon to study the effects of OWS. I wonder about the true purpose of this class. "hmmm".

13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

I could go w/the "neutral" class set-up as specified.

As to the "true" nature of the class... I can put your mind somewhat at ease. We did some field research for a very multi-disciplinary minded relgion prof where we studied a bunch of churches maintained by different communities in Baltimore. I sat through a number of services in that capacity. I did not become a Christian. Those of us in my group who were Christian did not change the kind of Christian they were by going to other Christian services.

So whatever they're aiming for, I can definitely tell you that if academics are "aiming" for some sort of brainwashing agenda by setting up such a project, you can pretty much guarantee they'll miss LOL.

14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

PS - yes, it is too early to study the effects of the Occupy movement, because it hasn't petered out. You can't study the full effects until it does.

But it's almost too late to study the development of the Occupy movement... but it's not like you can catch it right as it's happening. I am pretty sure that Dr. Veteran would have to get all kinds of clearance to get the class into the catalog.

15. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I still have my doubts on that one:D

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

Never ceases to amaze me that this grassroots movement gets free rent in the brains of the right.. they search for some message in a movement who prides itself on having no clear message... cannot get over the fact that there is no leader or no set of rules.

It is what it is, a grass roots movement who is concerned about their financial situation/future and feel left out, as the banks were bailed out..

This course is a f..ing elective at Columbia, a private university, that students can take if they want to.. it is not forced and not a very big deal in the big scheme of things.. the right gets their depends in a bunch over these miniscule issues.

The right loves these nontroversies and the faux outrage associated with such, and somehow they become some great statement on the way the world works.. see the so called war on christmas.

Here is the Course Description from the College of General Studies..

Course Descriptions

It is no big deal.. sounds really cool to take a contemporary subject and interpret in the context of other disciplines..

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

They originally were going to call it "Occupy FOX," but they figured that would be too transparent ;)

18. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +459 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

You seem to either love the way that statement sounds or maybe you have a personal quest to include it in as many threads as you can ;)

Let me try:

Ron Paul gets free rent in the brains of the left.
    Rush Limbaugh gets free rent in the brains of the left.
    The Tea Party gets free rent in the brains of the left.
    The military industrial complex gets free rent in the brains of the left.
    Ronald Reagan gets free rent in the brains of the left.
    George Bush gets free rent in the brains of the left. (and Obama)

And the best one...
    Racism gets free rent in the brains of the left.

Wow, that is fun! Maybe I will start a personal quest to include that in at least one post out of every ten :)

19. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I would agree this would be a good class to study the angst and feeling of society at this time. I also agree with your post on the first page of this thread that education is varied and should study many different perspectives. I teach a class online about the U.S. Constitution, and I often argue for the perspectives of those with whom I wholeheartedly disagree. It's good practice for anyone to hear a different POV to learn something new, change thinking, and/or reinforce existing beliefs.

But I contend that Columbia would likely turn their noses up at a class about the Tea Party (who knows, maybe they did one?). There's little chance that a left-leaning university would cover a conservative grassroots movement. I know that many of you will say the Tea Party is a fake movement, and I would admit that it was usurped. But it started much the way that the OWS did: a genuine, heartfelt dissatisfaction with the status quo.

Worth studying, no? Then again, my background is American history with a focus on government, so I find this stuff pretty interesting.

20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Weren't some of them protesting the size of their student loans? Here's a tip for them: TARP is a loan program. The banks got the same thing they are complaining about. The already got their bailout (loans) and now want that to be taken care of. I wonder if that mischarecterization of TARP will be addressed in this class...actually, I am pretty sure it won't.