Welcome to PatsFans.com

Columbia U: Take Our New OWS Class

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

I don't know what's worse. The fact that this university is actually going to charge students for a "credited" class based on the occupy movement, or the fact that some people in this forum are so partisan and blinded, that they're trying to defend it.

Kudos to whomever it was that mentioned the tuition and protesting these schools. While I certainly empathize with the protesters fundamentally, and will always support an individuals right to protest, I think the movement had is somewhat wrong. Their political, and ideological, blindness had them ignore much of what has put them in the position they dislike so much. Those people should have been protesting government, and these universities, more so than Wall Street. Government for passing the policies, providing the cheap subsidy money, and piling up a tab that is passed on to the consumer taxpayer. The universities for charging massive tuition fees, getting in bed with those supplying students cheap money, and ripping off localities by gobbling up valuable real state that they use tax free.

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

Yeah RW, everybody's ideology-driven and blind except you!

Put it this way: were Columbia charging kids -- as they undoubtedly do -- to look at bacteria in a petri dish, would you declaim the moral failings of the bacteria? Would you look for microorganisms that were more to your taste, perhaps a different species of bacteria?

They're studying socio-political movements. I think this is a unique learning opportunity. It doesn't matter that you hate the OWS guys, or even that you think the professor admires said movement. You can't study the movement -- or the phenomenon of such movements -- without studying it.

Not studying it results in ignorance.

Do you prefer to be ignorant?

PFnV

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

Please don't try to put words in my mouth. You're not smart enough to do that. ;)

No where did I say "everybody" is ideologically driven.

Yeah, micro biology and the OWS protesters. :rolleyes:

No where did I ever say that I hate the OWS protesters. I've actually supported their general cause, and have really only criticized their blame being directed solely at Wall Street. In that regard, they've missed a good deal of the point, or problem if you will. They should also be protesting the very universities they attended, as well as the governments that gives away their money, send their jobs overseas, and increase their cost of living in the process.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

LOL... you don't know what you're talking about, and sound like just another corporate slave. Keep patting your own back, keep pretending OWS doesn't have goals.

"We are anonymous...
    we are legion...
    we do not forgive...
    we do not forget....
    You should have expected us."

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

Just anybody who disagrees with the premise that it's a horrible horrible thing to do research on the OWS site -- "blinded" is the actual word, of course, so if you did not mean "by ideology," I do apologize.

Let's step back. Exactly what's so horrible about an anthro class studying a social movement as a form of research?

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

So I can come up with an idea ... do it for 3 months and be called a veteran :rofl: ... that is funny.

Bet lots a 3 month pro sports players would love to be called a veteran and get their pay.

7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

Early nominee for worst analogy of 2012.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

Apalled that folks get into a frenzy over what is essentially an elective course in a major university, pretty soon it will rank right up there with the "War on Christmas" or be considered some type of attack on our society's moral fiber.

If I was in a University, and this fit my time slot and needed an elective this would certainly be a consideration.. just like if they had a similar course on the Tea Party that fit my schedule and needed an elective this would also be a consideration. I find this stuff terrifically exciting..

My preference in all of my graduate and undergraduate work was always dynamic things that were reflective of the current situation of the world.

9. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +54 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

I will never understand why some people get bent out of shape by courses offered from a private University. Liberty University has a School of Religion and they offer a B.S. in Religion. Has anyone complained about that?

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Why would they ... there is a ton of BS in religion.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

An interesting aside is the Liberty University in Va(Jerry Falwell's Creation), is the largest recipient of federal funds in that state... because of Pell Grants and GI Bill combined with a high enrollment with in On Line Courses...

Something like 445 million dollars.. that is a lot of subsidization.

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

Doing it with The Tea Party ha, ha, ha, I'd love to see them try it, the left wing media would go insane comparing it to 'studying the klan'.

Will the students sleep in tents with the OWS, they better be careful those OWS have had some problems in those tents.
    GOD WILLING

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

God Willing you do not know your ass from your elbow, but keep up the idiotic banter.. it makes no sense.

14. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -2

Seems funny to me. One of the things that the college age OWS protesters were upset about was college loans. Now these college kids will be racking up college loans to be part of the OWS that is protesting college loans.

On a side note, I do not see how anyone can be for the OWS and also support Obama. not with his record on collecting corporate money and helping Wall Street.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

They are not paying money to protest, they are paying money for an elective that studies the OWS movement.. capiche???

Protesting is a freebee..... you do not need college to protest.

16. Hamar

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -2

I "capiche", but the course description sounds a lot like they will be there as participants. And, I would guess that most of the people that sign up for this class will just see it as getting credit for doing something they were going to do anyway.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

Helluva an assumption, that you can deduce this from a course catalog and not knowing who will take the course.. at first glance this course is a "gimme" and may be attractive to anyone who needs to take an elective..

Critical thinking is important..

BTW I support Obama and support OWS, do not see them as mutually exclusive..

18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

Hell, I don't know if any major university doesn't have a religion department.

One of my degrees is in religion - I didn't intend it that way, I was just interested enough that I kept taking courses, and realized I already had a minor, so what the hell, right?

Believe me, I never saw anybody in a tizzy that "the state" was teaching these classes (through the phenomenon of student loans.) Was it useful? I dunno. I kind of have some clue about what some other cultures think is "true" in various ways... I also know that "liberation theology" didn't spring fully formed into the world the day after everybody googled Rev. Wright. I had the advantage of examining some of the claims of that movement before it was considered some kind of echo-chamber sin category.

But then, the religion classes I took were taught as not dependent on the professor's beliefs, though they were all "veterans" of one religion or the other.

PFnV

19. Hamar

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -2

Critical thinking is important..

20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +269 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

I think in this case people were looking at the OWS activity as partisan politics for credit. Columbia is a non-sectarian (and theoretically, at least) non-partisan elite institution. Liberty is the largest Christian university in the world.