Welcome to PatsFans.com

Columbia U: Take Our New OWS Class

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ivy League education now includes a class on Occupy Wall Street, a class that earns college credits too!

New Class At Columbia Focuses On Occupy Wall Street « CBS New York

Well worth drowning in student loans for:rocker:

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

I'm asking myself whether I'd react similarly if there had been a tea-party class in poli sci at Liberty University or somewhere, back when the tea party was a significant grass-roots presence.

Hmmm.

I don't know how I'd answer on that one -- after all, they showed up for 3 hours, melted away, then showed up again in 3 months, by and large. The OWS guys appear to be a long-haul movement, with plenty of "field work" to be done.

Do you know the % of people at OWS who also had tea party sympathies? I don't. Since there are similarities in some of their rhetoric, but since they are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, it makes me wonder.

Do you wonder what % of OWS comes from each income band? It seems like it's pertinent, and it seems (politically) like a weakness. From the shots on TV, it looks like middle-class people.

My impression is that it skews toward the young (20 somethings.) What's the prevalence of age groups?

How many would be for/against a number of issue stances -- since we know that they're an amorphous group, with one central message (against the enormous income inequality in the U.S.)

I think you could put together a really useful college course in this movement, both for the student and for the professor's academic publishing purposes. Send them out to get polling results, "anecdotal" interviews, etc. Get a portrait of this group. Watch it change over time.

If you see college as a place where you learn to sell widgets, nah it's a waste of college loan money. If it's a place where you do research and learn about researching (in this context,) then I think you can make a really good case for such a class.

PFnV

3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +245 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

What would there be to research here?

Wait...on second thought maybe they could finally find out what the OWS crowd wants! :D

I could see the point if they were researching political movements on both sides of the aisle but "participating" in OWS for credit seems like a partisan move to me.

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +245 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

I never understood why the people who were protesting the size of their loans didn't occupy colleges and universities...you know, where the price of tuition is actually set. Occupy Columbia!

5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 15 / -9

If you wake up with a pup tent, do you get extra credit?

6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

Once you guys get admitted to Columbia, you're free to choose not to participate ;)

Here's the course description:

http://bwog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Appel-OWS-Syllabus.pdf

Pretty interesting. They specify that they will only meet in spaces sanctioned by the authorities, will not engage in direct action, etc. The emphasis is on research. I'm not sure exactly how or where you're likely to get a better front-row seat to political movements today.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +102 / 15 / -9

The OWS movment is a lost ship in a fog with no captiain.
    Christmas just passed, if you have a OWS member in your family I
    hope they got a GPS device.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

Ass Holes.............

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

It is obvious here that some do not understand the value of a varied approach to education.. the way it is structured, can be invaluable.

Having had varied educational experiences, they all provide a framework on how I look at the world.. one is not greater than the other.

This class is an elective and based on the theory that labs can take place on the street, not just in the classroom...

10. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +102 / 15 / -9

I don't care how educated you are.... you need to learn the song !

Now Darryls.... repeat after me........

Na na na na - na na na na
    Hey hey hey
    Goodbye

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

Bullsh!t...............................

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Why do you say that, except to draw attention to yourself????

13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

I pass T.C. Williams a few times a week and in my more morose moments, can't help but think of this scene...

REMEMBER THE TITANS Hey Hey Goodbye - YouTube

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

No. its bullsh!t, what the hell would a parent who is helping their child go through college want to shell out money for their child to waste their time studying about a bunch of f-cked up glory seeking smelly bastard morons who sleep in little tents with their silly little signs and toy drums, have sex, piss in the park and have bowel movements on the side of a Police Car, why would a parent give their hard earned money to a god damn communist nut house like that thinking that this son of a b!tching so called place of learning will prepare their child to go out into the world and make a success out of life.

Year 2032 Central Park NYC
    "mommy"
    "yes dear"
    "that man that came out of that little tent is taking a sh!t on the lawn"
    "he probably went to columbia university dear"
    "oh"

:bricks:
    "dirty rotten filthy bastards"

15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

Where did you go to college, Harry?

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

I drove a cab in Harvard Square when I was 19.....They learned a lot from me.

:bricks:

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Your issue seems to be the familiar right wing mantra, is that education can only take place in the classroom with government approved books.. political correctness at its finest.

Why would you care what they teach at Columbia University, do you care about what they teach at Liberty U???

I also drove a cab when I worked my way through college, used to make a living off of drunk sailors..

18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

No university should try to pass down ideals, values or morals that are decidedly left or right. To do either one is wrong.

My alma matar took a definate FAR left perspective on economics. As a matter of fact, the University of Massachusetts in Amherst has a Marxist economics department...and that is wrong.

19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Joke "class", easy A, just regurgitate what the prof wants to hear....

20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

Why exactly is it wrong? Was it like 30 professors who each teach an entire catalog of Marxian classes, in which you can earn a Marxian economics degree?

Even if so, isn't the truth-seeking value of academia bound to produce oddities at the edges -- like Liberty University's religion-based "science" classes?

Were a competing school of politics to pertain over much of the world based on the writings of Ricardo, or Adam Smith, or Keynes, or any of the bigger names in economics, would you say the same thing?

Marx's value theory of labor -- in the West -- is pretty much considered insufficient. But then, so is Adam Smith's view of the markets as rationally driven (ditto the "Austrian School," so admired by righties trying to justify their hopelessly purist adherence to free markets.) Truth is, we know that "Labor is value" is no more or less powerful a lens than "All actors are rational in all their actions." Neither is true in a vacuum; both contribute to the mainstream of present understanding.

This is bizarre -- insisting that whole areas of study be walled off because you disagree ideologically with what's being taught. Sort of reminds me of the Nazi attitude that certain movements in science or the arts were "Jewish science" or "Jewish art," to be morally opposed based on their provenance or supposed provenance.

Scientific Jew Hatred

Are we sure we want to wall off areas of research based on these notions of repugnance?

@Harry - thanks for the folksy response and all. I personally am of the opinion that you are a persona generated as somebody's research project in one way or another, and so are actually the product of just such an undertaking.

But on the off chance you're just "you," I'm thinking you probably reacted with amusement or maybe irritation, when some dumb kid who'd been in town six months started giving you "better" directions that ended up costing him an extra three bucks. That's the position you're in here.

PFnV