Welcome to PatsFans.com

Columbia MO cops serve warrant, shoot caged dogs, find a little bit of pot

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, May 6, 2010.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This video is graphic and disturbing, especially if you are an animal lover. To sum, cops find a personal amount of pot and to get to it they killed the family pets, which were caged, with children present.

All you government takeover of health-care protesters need to get your priorities in order and start protesting the real bullsh1t that happens in this country on a regular basis.

Go America! Land of the free!

YouTube - Columbia Mo SWAT Raid 2/11/2010. Cops Shoot Pets With Children Present

Some comments on it from an article in Reason (definitely not my favorite site).

Video of SWAT Raid on Missouri Family - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Drug War in a nutshell. Make sure the drugs enter the country then terrorize the people who use them.

But no, we don't live in a police state.

Let Freedom Ring.

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +357 / 7 / -4

Big fan of Reason (magazine, never been to the site)

They're very good for this kind of stuff -- the stuff that many "law and order" types seem to think doesn't happen.

At first I thought it said Columbia, MD, and I was wondering if these were the same as*hole SWAT guys who have become notorious for their over-aggressive tactics, including an incident last year when they busted into the mayor's home, shot the family's 2 golden retrievers, forced his mother and grandmother to the floor and cuffed them, etc.

So, yeah, I'll say it again -- while there are plenty of good cops, there are a whole lot of as*holes out there with guns and badges.

And the "war on drugs" is a joke. It may get more complicated when you're talking about more addictive, and more potentially devastating, drugs, but anybody who believes pot should be illegal needs to have their head examined.

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are few things more outrageous than an abuse of authority. We as a society entrust policemen with our protection and give them the authority to act on our behalf. To me, that gives them a greater responsibility to act appropriately and any policemen who betray the public trust should be dealt with harshly.

Of course, I don't know WTH any of this has to do with health care :confused:

5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Frothing anger at excessive exercise of power is dramatically misplaced.

6. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah... let's compare a town's police force with one-sixth of the economy... and then ask who is being dramatic and who has their anger misplaced. What a ridiculous argument.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

When I was a kid, maybe 14 or so, I was spending the night with a friend at her big sister's apartment on the far South Side of Chicago.

The cops raided the place on "tip" and an emergency warrant. They tore the place up - and totally terrorized the 4 of us. (Me, my friend, her siser and her sister's boyfriend.) It probably didn't help that he had hair half-way down his butt and all three of us female type chicklets were the long-haired ironed-straight, bell-bottomed, flower wearing species.

The bottom line, however, was we were held at gunpoint for what seemed to be hours while they shouted, swore, threatened and just generally tore the house apart.

It all ended rather abruptly when someone said, "Oh, oh - we're supposed to be one floor down," and they all turned around and walked out the door.

Took us days to clean up - all of the food and most of the furniture ended up being a total write-off.

By day, the recalling was a great adventure....by night none of us ever felt comfortable closing our eyes again.

There's got to be a better way to do these things. Really. In light of this video and in hindsight, I guess I was lucky there weren't any pets in the place at the time.

8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

No kidding. :rolleyes:

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Um, many of the complaints were over loss of freedoms and government oppression. This too represents government oppression. You guys need to be more consistent and make fewer excuses.

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's not a single town's police force. If you read the OP, 100-150 of these warrants are served every day. By the way, there is a government agency that costs billions of dollars to sustain devoted to exactly this sort of behavior.

Yay consistency! :bricks:

11. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Consistent to whose standard? Yours? Please, your entire goal posting here is to find perceived chinks in your "enemies" armor. We're hardly going to take the same stance here on abuse by law enforcement than we would on the Constitutional powers of the Federal government. Not only are you comparing apples and oranges but you're doing so willfully which would make me wonder whether you know the difference between a mountain and a molehill or an opinion and an ***hole.

12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hardly. That's an effect, not a cause. Most posters here don't really have armor anyways, your guys' arguments are essentially empty and naked. But keep trying.
    This has everything to do with the constitutional powers of the federal government, only right wing authoritarians seem to love the authority angle and hate the helping people angle. But awesome job on the cognitive dissonance, dude. You'll be rivaling PF13 any day now in that department.
    I'm sure there's room for at least 2 more cliches in that sentence. Your homework is to write 3 sentences, each triter than the last, and each triter than than the one you wrote above.

13. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If they're empty and naked, how and what do you respond to? Your presumption here falls flat on its face.

Abuse of local law enforcement has exactly what to do with the Federal government? Since when are all right wingers also authoritarians? Apparently someone missed his class on politics. Maybe you slept through it? Cognitive dissonance... I do not think it means what you think it means. Your catachresis might come from ignorance or maliciousness, not sure which.

Positive & Negative Liberties in Three Dimensions

I am. To be. You go.

14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ha ha - the sh1t on this board gets so ridiculous it's too much fun not to dive right in!

The federal government set the tone on the drug wars in the 80s, don't you know, and funnel dollars to local police departments based on enforcing these laws. In addition, no state has the legal right to legalize these sorts of things considering how federal law trumps state law. The states righters should be all kinds of up in arms about this, but they're not.
    Never said they are, but many are, and most right-wing politicians are. I don't have a number for you.
    Ha ha, rationalizing it away doesn't make it true! Isn't it convenient that it's exactly how cognitive dissonance works? Awesome!

15. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not uncomfortable with my positions at all and have no need to rationalize my points to myself -- I am rationalizing with you. Though at times at seems I'm rationalizing with a wall. Which, if the wall typed, might be like you. Your repetition of "cognitive dissonance" sounds like some compulsion -- did you read it in a book or a blog and adopt it as your mantra "big words"?

16. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +357 / 7 / -4

not sure about that.... I'd rather be required to pay for health insurance -- essentially a slight increase in taxes -- than have cops bust into my home and shoot my dogs

That's at the individual level.

If you want to look at the aggregate, you need to look at all incidents like these -- and there are many, many of them.

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Pro-tip: be careful not to confuse cause and effect! (Let's see if he figures this one out....)

18. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Quid Pro Quo

19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Don't try to weasel out of it.

20. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Out of... dealing with smarmy attacks? To paraphrase you:

Ha ha ha let's see if he figures it out, he's proving my point, why don't you explain it then..

coooooogggnitive dissssonance ccoooooogggnitive dissssonance

[BRICKS]