PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts want NFL to Explain

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Colts want the NFL to explain ?

I want the Colts, Bill Polian and Mike Perreira to explain the corruption of officials at the RCA dome on 11/4, I want that explained, I think the whole country wants that explained.

The replay on NFLN tonight put a dotted line at the spot of the previous first down. As best as I can remember it showed the tip of the ball was just touching the 16 yard line. So the yellow first down line they showed at the later third down measurement was basically correct, the chains were wrong (inside of the 6), but the ball was spotted (after the review) outside the 6 yard line. So the chains were wrong but had the chains been right it would STILL have been 4th down. A shorter 4th down, but still 4th down.

Thanks -- well, that resolves that. The replay was pretty clear that they did not get the ball to the six.

Still, the chains being wrong is a bit troubling. I think I understand chain gang mechanics, and it occurs to me that there really is no procedure to go back and accurately reset the chains in a replay scenario, so the colts are at least right about that. I think what they should do is have the down marker guy on the long-chain side of the field continue to mark the spot of the start of the series until the first play of the next series is run, and replay is no longer a possibility. Once the chains move, there really is no way reset them perfectly.

One other solution would be to have two pendants on the chains -- one to mark the previous series' spot and one to mark the new series.

Thanks -- well, that resolves that. The replay was pretty clear that they did not get the ball to the six.

Still, the chains being wrong is a bit troubling. I think I understand chain gang mechanics, and it occurs to me that there really is no procedure to go back and accurately reset the chains in a replay scenario, so the colts are at least right about that. I think what they should do is have the down marker guy on the long-chain side of the field continue to mark the spot of the start of the series until the first play of the next series is run, and replay is no longer a possibility. Once the chains move, there really is no way reset them perfectly.

One other solution would be to have two pendants on the chains -- one to mark the previous series' spot and one to mark the new series.

They actually have a sheet of paper taped to one of the chain sticks, with each position during the series written on it. As it's moved, the next position is written on it, etc... so they DO track the drive, and the chain positions during the course of the drive - on the chain sticks themselves.
So, going back to reset teh previous point isn't that difficult :)

Why not develop some other technology?? It is ridiculous that chains are still being used...update it all to teh 21st century...

Why not develop some other technology?? It is ridiculous that chains are still being used...update it all to teh 21st century...

I've been thinking the same thoughts for quite awhile now.

I wonder if anyone has ever presented to league HQ a more technologically-advanced alternative.

I also believe that every call, or non-call, should be reviewable, incl. Pass Interference.

As for the dolts: They can't handle the Truth.

This is a different call and again the Colts COMPLETELY deserved to lose that game. They really sucked in every facet except defensively. However, I'm surprised the NFL talked so openly about this though.

The level of referring seems very poor this year.
----

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...stle-against-colts-the-worst-mistak/#comments

Today on NFL Network's Total Access, the league's head of officials, Mike Pereira, called blowing the play dead, "the worst mistake you can make." Pereira explained that the official who blew the play dead is in his first year in the NFL after a career officiating college football, and he forgot that the college football rule is different from the NFL rule in that players who dive to the ground to catch a pass are not down as soon as they catch it in the NFL but are down as soon as they catch it in college.

Pereira said he has told the official in the future that he should officiate without the whistle in his mouth so that he doesn't blow plays dead too quickly. Pereira said of the official who made the mistake, "Nobody feels worse." He then corrected himself and said, "Maybe the Colts feel worse."

Ellis Hobbs agrees with you.

The Colts want the NFL to explain ?

I want the Colts, Bill Polian and Mike Perreira to explain the corruption of officials at the RCA dome on 11/4, I want that explained, I think the whole country wants that explained.
Not only that I want the NFL to explain how B.Sanders is allowed to spear anything that moves (except the cheerleaders) with out getting called for it. As I watched the game a second time sanders seems to spear the opponent on every tackle,thats how he got hurt at the end of the game. He speared Moss, (all though with his hgt) it was Moss's thigh that got speared and Sanders neck that probably got hurt.

Not only that I want the NFL to explain how B.Sanders is allowed to spear anything that moves (except the cheerleaders) with out getting called for it. As I watched the game a second time sanders seems to spear the opponent on every tackle,thats how he got hurt at the end of the game. He speared Moss, (all though with his hgt) it was Moss's thigh that got speared and Sanders neck that probably got hurt.

I'd like to know how the Colts o-line gets to hold on every play without being flagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down