PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts vs. Pats Pass Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson doesn't even exist to these gay farmers...neither does Kevin Faulk.

must be all the DDT in the hay out there

I understand where your coming from when you say that because we really haven't played any decent offense, but last years defense could be scored on by high school teams, so I do think its improved alot over last year.. I guess the ultimate test is Sunday to see if we have any kind of defense at all.

Yep. Sunday will show you how good your D is.

Tell me again where this HUGE disparity is? Can we agree that you can have the best WR in the world, but if the QB can't get it to him, he's useless??

You were doing so well but walked right off the deep end:

Palmer, CJ, TJ
Romo, TO, Witten
Rivers, LdT (receiving), Gates
D.Anderson, B.Edwards, Winslow

Can you name the Saints' 2nd receiver or TE?
Panthers?
Tampa?
Can you name any receivers on the Titans or Jaguars?
Texans without A.Johnson? Broncos without J.Walker?

I'm not sure the disparity could get any bigger. Again, the Colts pass D could be legendary. They could be perfectly average. We just don't know.

I have been saying it all season....

The Colts defense have not played an offense even close to what they will face Sunday.

Everytime they face a decent offense...a major part is missing

And I heard you every time, and I agreed with you every time.

The world may go into catatonic shock Sunday if there is nobody left in the NFL to give any hope of derailing the juggarnaut.

I mean, if the Patriots roll, who the hell can you root for if you're an anti? There's like nobody out there except Pittsburgh, who has to come here, and the Giants who have a great front but a mediocre set of DBs.

I mean who is left out there?

The Browns have a better team than a lot of these puff artists.

If we blowout the colts, many people will be crying on the inside, whinning, and the media will find a way to spin it and say the Pats are still a beatable team and find something to complain about.

Both Kornheiser and Wilbon on PTI predicted the Patriots would score below 34 because of the Colts superb defense.

My feeling is that this Colts defense is essentially the same defense the Patriots scored 34 on in the AFCC in January. They lost both CBs, but the replacements seem OK. Of course, the Patriots passing attack has improved about 1,000% since January so I'm expecting the Patriots to score more than 34, but we'll know soon enough.

Watson doesn't even exist to these gay farmers...neither does Kevin Faulk.

must be all the DDT in the hay out there

Watson and Faulk are more great weapons for the Patriots the offensive arsenal is full. I thought this thread was more about the secondary and the Patriots potent WR's, but if you want to talk about TE's and receiving out of the backfield, fine. They've burned the Colts, especially Faulk has, before. Heck, I even remember Fauria making some big plays against us. I think they will have plenty of chances to challenge the Colts D, especially if Keiaho is still suffering. Our small LB's are pretty good and quick against the pass, so hopefully we can shut down that part of the game. Like all parts of the Patriots offense, they will pose a challenge.

What I'm surprised to see around here is lack of talk about running it up the gut of the Colts D. I always thought that was "book" on how to beat the Colts. You have a solid line and a great 2nd year back. I would think talk would be of hitting us in the middle, make our team sell out on the run then start play action, and it's bombs away.

What I'm surprised to see around here is lack of talk about running it up the gut of the Colts D. I always thought that was "book" on how to beat the Colts. You have a solid line and a great 2nd year back. I would think talk would be of hitting us in the middle, make our team sell out on the run then start play action, and it's bombs away.

The point of the thread was to evaluate the pass defenses in the context of what they can reasonably expect to face on Sunday. To your point, I wouldn't expect the Pats to change philosophy without a good reason. Does the Colts #1 ranked pass D give them that reason? I don't see it. Yet.

If the Colts continuously drop 7 into coverage and have Freeney/Mathis rushing upfield with their hair on fire? Yeah, I could see a lot of runs being called. Absent that, I expect the ball to be in Brady's hands a lot.

Where Colts secondary has a chance, and I'm saying a chance, is that the secondary of the Colts hits HARD. They have a chance of generating a few turnovers with hits right as the ball gets there, or as these receivers generate their gaudy YAC numbers.
Who cares? The Redskins trolls were stating the same story last week and look what happened? The Redskins defense was completely obliterated.

All I know is all week it's been Sanders this and Sanders that from every single one of these Indy trolls. We may as well not even play the game.

Indy will double Moss...he's all done

Indy will single cover Stallworth...huge advantage Indy, he'll never get open

Sanders will cover Watson on TE flies down the field, while simultaneously covering Welker's 10 and 12 yard crossing patterns and also BLOW UP any runs by Maroney while crashing every screen the Patriots try to run with Faulk. Oh, almost forgot, if ANY of these Patriots players has the temerity to actually catch a single pass, Sanders will beat them into the ground.

Why even play the game then?

Last edited:
All I know is all week it's been Sanders this and Sanders that from every single one of these Indy trolls. We may as well not even play the game.

Sanders will cover Watson on TE flies down the field, while simultaneously covering Welker's 10 and 12 yard crossing patterns and also BLOW UP any runs by Maroney while crashing every screen the Patriots try to run with Faulk. Oh, almost forgot, if ANY of these Patriots players has the temerity to actually catch a single pass, Sanders will beat them into the ground.

More like Sanders will be abused in pass coverage as was the case with Troy Polamalu in the 2004 AFC Championship Game.

I have been saying this all along also......Indy's D has yet to play a TOP SHELF offense with a #1 QB..........they played Garrard, Testaverde, etc etc......NO ONE........Now we will see what their D can do against the most powerful offense in the league......This is not "homerism".....this is the simple truth....I don't think they have it to beat us.....unless we shoot ourselves in the foot over and over..........Our defense should be able to control Clark and Wayne...pretty well.....Not saying they won't score.......just that we will control them overall........Pats should win this game hands down......

No one has played an offense like this except our previous opponents. There hasn't been an offense like this in history.

Sigh.... Every single Indy fan or troll says that?

just read through the threads.....there is NOT ONE item I mentioned about Sanders that hasn't been BOASTED ABOUT by one Indy fan or another this week.

Here's the dilemma for Indy, and it's a serious one.

First off, Moss cannot be handled by one DB, even if it's the estimable Mr. Sanders. As soon as Brady sees Moss going against single man coverage, they are going to eat whoever it is alive - literally. So Moss must be doubled up.

When that happens, Brady's first option the becomes Welker underneath. No matter what's there for Indy, I like this matchup. I really like it.

Whereupon the Colts think they've solved the Welker problem, they'll be faced with the very talented Donte Stallworth running 12 - 15 yard slants and abusing what ever linebacker of nickel back happens to be out there. He's broken some really big ones this year against more formidable opposition.

Finding themselves beginning to get exasperated by all this, they drop 6 or 7 back, and learn to face Maroney and Faulk coming out of the backfield. Worse yet, is the possibility (likelihood?) of Watson running slants and crosses against Indy's linebackers, and that is not a good matchup for them.

Earlier this week, when pondering this game, I was a bit concerned because, hey! it's Indy! But as we draw closer to the game itself, I begin to wonder if it's Indy and Dungy that shouldn't be concerned. Game planning for this team must be a nightmare for opposing DCs.

Manning.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's the dilemma for Indy, and it's a serious one.

First off, Moss cannot be handled by one DB, even if it's the estimable Mr. Sanders. As soon as Brady sees Moss going against single man coverage, they are going to eat whoever it is alive - literally. So Moss must be doubled up.

When that happens, Brady's first option the becomes Welker underneath. No matter what's there for Indy, I like this matchup. I really like it.

Whereupon the Colts think they've solved the Welker problem, they'll be faced with the very talented Donte Stallworth running 12 - 15 yard slants and abusing what ever linebacker of nickel back happens to be out there. He's broken some really big ones this year against more formidable opposition.

Finding themselves beginning to get exasperated by all this, they drop 6 or 7 back, and learn to face Maroney and Faulk coming out of the backfield. Worse yet, is the possibility (likelihood?) of Watson running slants and crosses against Indy's linebackers, and that is not a good matchup for them.

Earlier this week, when pondering this game, I was a bit concerned because, hey! it's Indy! But as we draw closer to the game itself, I begin to wonder if it's Indy and Dungy that shouldn't be concerned. Game planning for this team must be a nightmare for opposing DCs.

I am in no way saying this won't happen, the Patriots O is awesome to say the least but let me take you back three years and insert Colt names into what you say, during the 2004 playoffs and see if this sounds like what Colt fans said back then:

Here's the dilemma for the Patriots, and it's a serious one.

First off, Harrison cannot be handled by one DB, even if it's the estimable Mr. Harrison (I stuck the safety in here, since you did, it is kind of prophetical considering how he did in the game). As soon as Manning sees Harrison going against single man coverage, they are going to eat whoever it is alive - literally. So Harrison must be doubled up.

When that happens, Manning's first option the becomes Stokley underneath. No matter what's there for New England, I like this matchup. I really like it.

Whereupon the Patriots think they've solved the Stokley problem, they'll be faced with the very talented Reggie Wayne running 12 - 15 yard slants and abusing what ever linebacker of nickel back happens to be out there. He's broken some really big ones this year against more formidable opposition.

Finding themselves beginning to get exasperated by all this, they drop 6 or 7 back, and learn to face Edge and Rhodes coming out of the backfield. Worse yet, is the possibility (likelihood?) of Clark and Pollard running slants and crosses against New England's linebackers, and that is not a good matchup for them.

I am in no way saying that the outcome of the 2004 playoff game will be reversed, what you say may happen and the Patriots may tear through the Indy defense like a knife through butter. I'm not trying to draw player to player comparisons, because each team is different in the way they play the game. But I've heard much the same scenario before laid out, only for something else to happen.

just read through the threads.....there is NOT ONE item I mentioned about Sanders that hasn't been BOASTED ABOUT by one Indy fan or another this week.

So in this thread when I replied to your post about Watson and Faulk I said something about Sanders? I can't say that people aren't boasting about Sanders, but there are Colts fans willing to talk about the game a little more realistically than you allude to.

You were doing so well but walked right off the deep end:

Palmer, CJ, TJ
Romo, TO, Witten
Rivers, LdT (receiving), Gates
D.Anderson, B.Edwards, Winslow

Can you name the Saints' 2nd receiver or TE?
Panthers?
Tampa?
Can you name any receivers on the Titans or Jaguars?
Texans without A.Johnson? Broncos without J.Walker?

I'm not sure the disparity could get any bigger. Again, the Colts pass D could be legendary. They could be perfectly average. We just don't know.
Look at the QB's you have faced. They are NOT very experienced. Hell, look at Cj and Palmer, those guys are imploding. Who wouldn't want to face that team, you can rest assured they will beat themselves. I think I did name additional receivers in another thread. Colston, Henderson, and Bush, along with Copper-those guys are all threats. Kerry Colbert of the Panthers, plus their TE (King) ceratainly could catch the ball, Testeverde GOT it to him (as did Carr). Clayton, Stevens(TE), and Hilliard are all proven guys. Hell, didn't Garcia go something like 22-26. He GOT them the ball. Texans have Andre Davis (who caught a NICE bomb when blanketed by Bethea-I think), Jeb Putzier-vet TE who had success in Denver, and Jerome Mathis(who scored the KO return, IIRC). Titans are loaded at TE, but they are a rush team, who doesn't care if you know they are going to run it. They racked up 242 versus JAX. I guess it didn't freakin matter then who their WR corps was?? Jax, I cannot begin to explain what is up with them. Jones, Wilford, and Williams don't seem to get it done. But AGAIN, they are primarily a RUN team, and the LEAGUE knows it. Gerrard, Lefty, Gray, NONE of those QB's have been consistently effective, but those guys still are playoff caliber team. Jones Drew and Fred Taylor are a potent 1-2 punch. You want to break down the Tackels and Guards?? Bottom line is ALL these teams have a nice Mix a veteran WR's and young talent. If you made the NFL, you can play the position. Your opinion of the value of the spot has been clouded by TB's perceived "lack" of talent at the spot (which is also bunk).

Rivers, Romo, and Anderson?? How many COMBINED STARTS does that TRIO have??

Look at the QB's you have faced. They are NOT very experienced. Hell, look at Cj and Palmer, those guys are imploding. Who wouldn't want to face that team, you can rest assured they will beat themselves. I think I did name additional receivers in another thread. Colston, Henderson, and Bush, along with Copper-those guys are all threats. Kerry Colbert of the Panthers, plus their TE (King) ceratainly could catch the ball, Testeverde GOT it to him (as did Carr). Clayton, Stevens(TE), and Hilliard are all proven guys. Hell, didn't Garcia go something like 22-26. He GOT them the ball. Texans have Andre Davis (who caught a NICE bomb when blanketed by Bethea-I think), Jeb Putzier-vet TE who had success in Denver, and Jerome Mathis(who scored the KO return, IIRC). Titans are loaded at TE, but they are a rush team, who doesn't care if you know they are going to run it. They racked up 242 versus JAX. I guess it didn't freakin matter then who their WR corps was?? Jax, I cannot begin to explain what is up with them. Jones, Wilford, and Williams don't seem to get it done. But AGAIN, they are primarily a RUN team, and the LEAGUE knows it. Gerrard, Lefty, Gray, NONE of those QB's have been consistently effective, but those guys still are playoff caliber team. Jones Drew and Fred Taylor are a potent 1-2 punch. You want to break down the Tackels and Guards?? Bottom line is ALL these teams have a nice Mix a veteran WR's and young talent. If you made the NFL, you can play the position. Your opinion of the value of the spot has been clouded by TB's perceived "lack" of talent at the spot (which is also bunk).

Rivers, Romo, and Anderson?? How many COMBINED STARTS does that TRIO have??
Blah Blah Blah! Your comments on this board are worthless. Keep denigrating and disrespecting the New England Patriots as you normally do. With your pathetic view of the Patriots, I guess the 0-8 Patriots have no chance whatsoever against the 7-0 Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes