PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts: Up by 19 in 4th and throwing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want someone to please disagree with what I posted. Rather than spewing our the same old garbage like some have, please lets talk civially and discuss.

Why, with ten minutes to go, should the Colts put aside their gameplan and just run the ball three times and punt?

NEM said:
Sorry to disagree. In the NFL, it is not a kids game...you need to go for the jugular every time you can. There are way too many variables that, at the end of the regular season can mean the difference in getting, or not getting, a playoff spot, a bye, home field, etc.....

There aren't any other teams doing this, it's only the Colts. Which makes you thinks, who really are the kids?

MrClutch said:
There aren't any other teams doing this, it's only the Colts. Which makes you thinks, who really are the kids?

Colts and Patriots were both in the same situation today. Lets look at the drive charts.

NE:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20061022_NE@BUF

5 Passes and 3 Runs. Up 21-3 with 11 minutes to go. Touchdown. 28-3. Up 18 points before scoring.

Next offensive drive with 5:40 to go. Up 28-3. 2 Passes, 2 runs. PUNT.

IND:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20061022_WAS@IND

5 runs, 4 passes (3 if you dont count Manning spike) on the final drive that started with 10:11 to go. Up 36-14. Up 22 points. Didn't score after punting.

If the Colts were running up the score, then so were your "Classy" Patriots.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
I want someone to please disagree with what I posted. Rather than spewing our the same old garbage like some have, please lets talk civially and discuss.

Why, with ten minutes to go, should the Colts put aside their gameplan and just run the ball three times and punt?

I am not disagreeing with you and I understand going for 2 with 10 left (if that's what happened--i only saw the 1st half) I would go for 2 so you are up 3 TD's with 10 to go---i don't care about that. My point was that they seem to be the same and nothing has changed---so i expect the same thing come january!

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Colts and Patriots were both in the same situation today. Lets look at the drive charts.

NE:

5 Passes and 3 Runs. Up 21-3 with 11 minutes to go. Touchdown. 28-3. Up 18 points before scoring.

IND:

5 runs, 4 passes (3 if you dont count Manning spike) on the final drive that started with 10:11 to go. Up 36-14. Up 22 points. Didn't score after punting.

I'm glad we were passing because we've had a poor passing game prior to this game and it really needed some work.

MrClutch said:
I'm glad we were passing because we've had a poor passing game prior to this game and it really needed some work.

Even at the expense of being classless?

Jeez. The rules sure do change when your boys do it. I don't think what either team did was wrong. Just try proving your points with facts like I do next time.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Even at the expense of being classless?

Jeez. The rules sure do change when your boys do it. I don't think what either team did was wrong. Just try proving your points with facts like I do next time.

To be more specific, I am referring to the Gabriel TD. That was a much needed confidence booster between Brady and his recievers. Gabriel bailed him out. It seems like a regular occurence with you guys.

MrClutch said:
To be more specific, I am referring to the Gabriel TD. That was a much needed confidence booster between Brady and his recievers. Gabriel bailed him out. It seems like a regular occurence with you guys.

Seems like and what actually takes place it two totally different things. People here have a tendency to bend the truth to make the Colts look bad.

Your classlessness = Much needed confidence booster
Our classlessness = Trying to pad stats.

Gotttttt it.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Seems like and what actually takes place it two totally different things. People here have a tendency to bend the truth to make the Colts look bad.

Your classlessness = Much needed confidence booster
Our classlessness = Trying to pad stats.

Gotttttt it.

I think a lot of people on here (and elsewhere) have indy pegged as stat padders becuase of their history. Let's be honest, it would not be odd to see PM throwing deep in the 4th when they are up by 30...their past has added to the "stat padding" stigma!

NEM said:
Sorry to disagree. In the NFL, it is not a kids game...you need to go for the jugular every time you can. There are way too many variables that, at the end of the regular season can mean the difference in getting, or not getting, a playoff spot, a bye, home field, etc.....

NEM, more often than not I agree with you, but there is a line drawn between knowing you have won the game and pretending that your defense might let the other team in the game.

33-14 halfway through the 4th quarter, and the Colts are worried about losing at home?

The only jugular we should be talking about is the lack of circulation coming from Peytons brain.

If they were not willing to burn the clock and punt if needed, then it shows the huge lack of trust in their defense. Eventually, the Colts will need their defense to make stops and take some pressure off the offense.

RyanTheColtsFan said:

NE:

IND:

The Pat's running game was not working at all, while Indy's was more successful. That Pats had to pass.

FloridaPatsFan said:
NEM, more often than not I agree with you, but there is a line drawn between knowing you have won the game and pretending that your defense might let the other team in the game.

33-14 halfway through the 4th quarter, and the Colts are worried about losing at home?

The only jugular we should be talking about is the lack of circulation coming from Peytons brain.

If they were not willing to burn the clock and punt if needed, then it shows the huge lack of trust in their defense. Eventually, the Colts will need their defense to make stops and take some pressure off the offense.

Patriots must have no faith in their defense either.

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
The Pat's running game was not working at all, while Indy's was more successful. That Pats had to pass.

Here are the rushing gains from the final drive..

2, 11, 1, 4, 1...

By the looks of that... Rhodes was getting no where other than the 11 yarder. So they "had to pass"

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Here are the rushing gains from the final drive..

2, 11, 1, 4, 1...

By the looks of that... Rhodes was getting no where other than the 11 yarder. So they "had to pass"

There are plenty of examples of the Colts acting classless by padding thier stats..but this isn't one of them. Ryans got the facts on his side on this one. the drive started with 10 minutes...I don't think Dungy or Manning have "game class" (to much history of past padding (on field behavior only)) But they were not going over the top this time IMO

pats-blue said:
There are plenty of examples of the Colts acting classless by padding thier stats..but this isn't one of them. Ryans got the facts on his side on this one. the drive started with 10 minutes...I don't think Dungy or Manning have "game class" (to much history of past padding (on field behavior only)) But they were not going over the top this time IMO

For what it's worth, I agree. Ryan is quite right.

Sure, the possibility of losing the game was very remote, but the Skins have mounted big comebacks before (remember the Cowboys game last season where Moss had those two touchdowns right at the end). I think that the Colts are entitled to play normal football -- put together a drive with what works for them. That's not stat padding.

If you want to get worked up about the game, get worked up about the way that the refs call everything in Peyton Manning's favour. Fortunately, the absurd Harrison "touchdown" was overturned, but the fifteen-yard penalty on the guy who was tackled into Peyton was a joke.

Otherwise, just look forward to the game in New England and hope that we can beat them.

:rocker: :singing:

Oh, yeah. This is entertainment. This is why I come here.:rocker:

1) Tom Brady threw a TD pass nearly half the way through the 4th quarter against the Bengals to from 31-13 to 38-13.

2) TODAY, TODAY, Brady threw a TD pass nearly half the way through the 4th quarter UP BY 15.

Now, the Colts drive in question today began at 10:11 in the 4th with them up by 19. It went for ten plays - only 3 were passes, all dump-offs in long yardage or on 3rd down.

Same crap different year. Some Patriot fans seriously need help. In Boston, he's not Peyton Manning, he's:

SEYTON Manning. Yeah, the Devil.... Lucifer himself. :rocker:

Now, who is getting the cheap stats? That would be your own Tommy Boy. Tommy Boy's completion percentage is pathetic. His YPC is pathetic. The only thing that saves him is his TD/INT ratio, of which he got, I don't know how many, on the very short field when the defense set him up with turnovers like against the Bengals and Dolphins. Tommy Boy hasn't moved the ball with any consistency all year.

As for the Colts hurry-up offense, in case you're new to football, it's not hurry-up at all. In fact they use nearly every second on every snap. They huddle at the line of scrimmage to dictate substitution patterns. Except for inside of 2 minutes, it has nothing to do with hurrying.

Last edited:
It's tough to give the Colts too much credit for the win today - the Skins looked lethargic, dead

Yankees/Colts said:
:rocker: :singing:

Oh, yeah. This is entertainment. This is why I come here.:rocker:

1) Tom Brady threw a TD pass nearly half the way through the 4th quarter against the Bengals to from 31-13 to 38-13.

2) TODAY, TODAY, Brady threw a TD pass nearly half the way through the 4th quarter UP BY 15.

Now, the Colts drive in question today began at 10:11 in the 4th with them up by 19. It went for ten plays - only 3 were passes, all dump-offs in long yardage or on 3rd down.

Same crap different year. Some Patriot fans seriously need help. In Boston, he's not Peyton Manning, he's:

SEYTON Manning. Yeah, the Devil.... Lucifer himself. :rocker:

Now, who is getting the cheap stats? That would be your own Tommy Boy. Tommy Boy's completion percentage is pathetic. His YPC is pathetic. The only thing that saves him is his TD/INT ratio, of which he got, I don't know how many, on the very short field when the defense set him up with turnovers like against the Bengals and Dolphins. Tommy Boy hasn't moved the ball with any consistency all year.

As for the Colts hurry-up offense, in case you're new to football, it's not hurry-up at all. In fact they use nearly every second on every snap. They huddle at the line of scrimmage to dictate substitution patterns. Except for inside od 2 minutes, it has nothing to do with hurrying.

This guy's a Yankee and Colts fan? How does that happen?

For what it's worth I don't really think the Colts playcalling today was that outrageous either.

FloridaPatsFan said:
To me, this is the definition of this team.....

They are making every attempt to get to 40 points and the game was over a long time ago.

While the Colts were trying a 2 point conversion despite being up by 19 at the end of the 3rd quarter, moments later the Redskins are desperate enough to try a 4th and 4 at midfield.

I coach kids. I know that this is unsportsmanlike.

This is why the Colts lack the neccesary character to win a championship in the NFL.

You are complaining about the Colts going for a 2 point conversion in the third quarter? It would have made the margin 21 instead of 20 if they kick the PAT. There is no real difference between being up 19 or 20, but 21 is 3 TDs and they were still in the 3rd quarter. It is by no means out of the question to think that a team can score 3 TDs in a quarter+. Nearly everyone on this board comments about how bad the Colts' defense is, so why not go for the 2? Outside of the Texans' game, this was the first game that the Colts won by more than a touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down