PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts to repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that the Colts have lost much on the offensive side and on the defensive side, who cares? They stunk defensively last year and still won. As long as they can keep ringing up 35 PPG they are going to beat a lot of teams. Their real issue is depth. They don't have any. If the injury bug bites them, they're screwed; unlike the Pats who have good depth at pretty much every position (except perhaps Running Back).

Anyway, let the Colts be the favorites. Best to fly under the radar.

Their defense did step up in the playoffs. But the Colts' as a team limped into the playoffs losing four of their last six games of the season. If their defense didn't step up along with some of the worst coaching jobs by Herm Edwards and Brian Billick, the Colts would have had no shot at winning the Super Bowl. McFarland, June, Harper, and David did play a role in those wins more so than Marvin Harrison.

Against KC, June lead the Colts in tackles with 7. McFarland had 4 tackles and a sack. The Colts held the Chiefs to 128 yards of offense, 7 first downs, and a TD and a two point conversion. Both June and McFarland played a big role. Meanwhile Manning threw for three interceptions and the Colts only scored 23 points on 11 posssessions (I didn't count the possessions at the end of the half or the game where each time the Colts just took a knee) which if the Chiefs could have mounted any type of offense might have won that game.

Against Baltimore, the Colts' defense held Baltimore to 6 points. Cato June had 8 tackles. Nick Harper had 4 tackles and an INT. The defense caused four turnovers. Meanwhile, the Colts' offense scored 15 points on 11 possessions and Manning was picked off twice.

The Colts' defense carried the Colts' offense the first two games of the playoffs and Harper, June, and McFarland all played significant roles in at least one of those wins. I think their losses will be bigger than people are making. It isn't like they lost Champ Bailey, Brian Urlacher, and Richard Seymour; but they were starters and their replacements this year were on the roster last year and couldn't win the starting job from them when these players were here.

Last edited:
Whistleing by the Grave Yard.

Right now I think they really have to struggle to win their poor Division...

That's why, hate him or not, Bill Polian is simply the best in the business when it comes to the draft and picking players to fit their schemes and system ...Pioli is a close second when you look at draft management, of course BB helps in that department as well and our scouts are not too bad either.

I think Pioli has three Super Bowl rings vs Polian's 1 that say he is better than Polian.

Ah yes...the Colts plan is falling into place with injuries and retirements in key positions...brilliant...masterful...stroke of genius!

Now of course, the Colts have nothing on San Diego's plan to announce they were keeping their coach, allowing other teams to fill their vacancies by decimating the SD assistants, then only to announce later that they were firing their coach at which point their ability to maintain any consistency by hiring an assistnant coach or coordinator was long gone.

Then they bring in a coach with a less than stellar NFL record.

Now THAT's a plan!

I also think with the bull's eye on their back they will have MORE problems as teams will be gunning for them early and every little falter will have other teams taking advantage of them.

NE's being viewed as the team to beat shadows that some, but I think the glasses are a little too blue and white for me. Desperation moves?? I think that is laughable at best. Who they have locked up?? We'll see if their moves and signings really show genius.

I mean, I don't know...ARE we the team to beat? what does this even mean? I have always thoroughly un-enjoyed reading that people think NE is the team to beat.

I want them to play like they have something to prove each and every week until February. If perceived they are the best from the get go, then why try harder, you are the best...You have to always try harder every week.

I would be more than happy for them to play with a chip and edge, and if we are so lucky as to be blowing anyone out, then let off the gas a little (unless we are playing the Chargers or Colts...in which case, lights out, power outage...sayin'...).

:rocker:

Gotta love it.

New England wins the superbowl and we hear "The Pats won't repeat because 1. They lost "insert big name player who left a year or two before he's out of his prime", 2. They DIDN'T SIGN ANY BIG NAMES or 3. They are old even though that only applies to one position group."

Now its they won't win because they signed two big names (three if you count Stallworth).

Um...is ok to laugh? :confused:

:D

As BB says, we don't collect talent, we build a team. I can see the how the adding these players allowed the patriots to "build a team" The fixed their needs with really good players coming off down seasons. I can live with that.

As for the Colts repeat, they have lost too much of their defense to do this. McFarland down, the loss of Cato June, I just can't see them repeating

Another Colt obesession thread ???(will I be banned for this comment???)

For the 100th Millionth time, as long as the Colts keep their Core Players intact (Freeney, Harrison, Wayne, Manning, Sanders, Clark*, Saturday) They won't be going ANYWHERE

Last edited:
Another Colt obesession thread ???(will I be banned for this comment???)

For the 100th Millionth time, as long as the Colts keep their Core Players intact (Freeney, Harrison, Wayne, Manning, Sanders, Clark*, Saturday) They won't be going ANYWHERE

Harrison is might be getting long in the tooth. He looked very average in the playoffs last year. And that might be a complement of his performance.

Harrison is might be getting long in the tooth. He looked very average in the playoffs last year. And that might be a complement of his performance.

Until someone shows any proof that Harrison is slowing down there's no reason to believe he is doing so. Great WR's tend to play a lot longer than other players and there has been no noticable dropoff for Harrison.

Until someone shows any proof that Harrison is slowing down there's no reason to believe he is doing so. Great WR's tend to play a lot longer than other players and there has been no noticable dropoff for Harrison.

In the four games in the playoffs, he had a total of 15 catches, 193 yards, 0 TDs, and 1 fumble. This is clearly not proof that he is slowing down, but it could be an early warning sign that he got worn down by playoff time. With his age, it is something to keep an eye on this season.

I did forget to mention Sanders. I wouldn't rely on Sanders as a cornerstone of your team. The guy has missed 24 out of 48 possible games during his career due to injuries. He has never played an entire season and has missed 12 or more games two out of the three years he has played.

His problem is that he is small, but plays big. In other words, he has a smurf body and likes to hit like big safeties like Brian Dawkins or Rodney Harrison. Which gets him hurt a lot.

In the four games in the playoffs, he had a total of 15 catches, 193 yards, 0 TDs, and 1 fumble. This is clearly not proof that he is slowing down, but it could be an early warning sign that he got worn down by playoff time. With his age, it is something to keep an eye on this season.

I did forget to mention Sanders. I wouldn't rely on Sanders as a cornerstone of your team. The guy has missed 24 out of 48 possible games during his career due to injuries. He has never played an entire season and has missed 12 or more games two out of the three years he has played.

His problem is that he is small, but plays big. In other words, he has a smurf body and likes to hit like big safeties like Brian Dawkins or Rodney Harrison. Which gets him hurt a lot.

Harrison has never had remarkable playoff stats, so using last years stats in a year where the team won the the superbowl isn't really a good argument for him showing signs of slowing down

The Dolts aren't going anywhere, they are media darlings and until we stomp a mudhole into them, they are the champs and the team to beat.

Sorry, that's just the way it is. As long as they have Gump, they have a shot. Him finally getting the 10,000 gorilla (BB and the Patriots) off his back will breathe new life into him, the Patriots have to take the championship away from the Dolts, end of story.

You know, I don't mind people picking other teams. That's cool, it's bound to happen, and not everyone thinks the same. That's why I love sports, the constant banter back and forth. I don't even mind people picking Indy. Sure, it doesn't make sense to me, but hell, if someone can present the case logically and back it up with sound football fact, we're good.

What I don't get is the glamorization of the Colts, and their so-called "America's Team" label. Why is that team immune to criticism now? I get the Yankee/Laker fascination by ESPN, the large glitzy markets. But we're talking about INDIANAPOLIS, a small market team that plays in a dome. Again, it's no knock on Indy, I mean they don't ask for this attention, I just don't understand the origin. Why is Indy an NFL "untouchable?"

I know I have to give it to them because they won it but...............they weren't even the best team last year.

Patriots
Chargers
Colts

1a
1b
1c

in any order.

Talk about sloppy/lazy journalism.

I thought the same thing. Does this guy have spellcheck or an editor?

Speaking of players to be re-signed after this year, Polian does have two players who will are the latest in line for Colts’ bonus brigade — Sanders and center Jeff Saturday.

Is this his first article? As Godef said, Bob Cook who?

This story was almost unreadable.

Last edited:
You know, I don't mind people picking other teams. That's cool, it's bound to happen, and not everyone thinks the same. That's why I love sports, the constant banter back and forth. I don't even mind people picking Indy. Sure, it doesn't make sense to me, but hell, if someone can present the case logically and back it up with sound football fact, we're good.

What I don't get is the glamorization of the Colts, and their so-called "America's Team" label. Why is that team immune to criticism now? I get the Yankee/Laker fascination by ESPN, the large glitzy markets. But we're talking about INDIANAPOLIS, a small market team that plays in a dome. Again, it's no knock on Indy, I mean they don't ask for this attention, I just don't understand the origin. Why is Indy an NFL "untouchable?"

A lot of it has to do with the Celebrity of Manning, who has unofficially been the NFL's Posterboy for the last 4-5 years. Then we throw in the flashy offense with Edge, Marvin, and Wayne (yes i know edge isn't on the colts anymore) a Record setting QB who is on pace to smash every NFL passing record and you have all the ingredients for lots of attention, offense offense offense.

A lot of it has to do with the Celebrity of Manning, who has unofficially been the NFL's Posterboy for the last 4-5 years. Then we throw in the flashy offense with Edge, Marvin, and Wayne (yes i know edge isn't on the colts anymore) a Record setting QB who is on pace to smash every NFL passing record and you have all the ingredients for lots of attention, offense offense offense.

True, but look at the Pats. Huge market, a more marketable and celebrity QB, yet for the most part despised nationally. Is it the 3 SBs while the Colts were the choking team, the loveable loser syndrome?

True, but look at the Pats. Huge market, a more marketable and celebrity QB, yet for the most part despised nationally. Is it the 3 SBs while the Colts were the choking team, the loveable loser syndrome?

Well New England (and more specifically Boston) is a huge sports market in general and for the most part have teams with huge fanbases (Celtics, Red Soxs, Pats) but the area in general I believe has a perceived persona of arrogance and ****iness, and generally stuck up, so I think a lot more people tend to root against these types of teams and root for the smaller market "underdogs" (even though I don't believe the colts are underdogs in the normal sense of the word, but in terms of fanbase and marketability)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey