PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts roster, balance, cap, and matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

micronin127

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Colts have a big decision this offseason when Andrew Luck finishes his rookie contract. Most think he will become the highest paid player in the game. The alternative would be the 5th year option which for QB's would be around $16 million. After 2016, the Colts could use the franchise tag for 2017.

2015 was also the last year of TY Hilton's rookie deal, but the Colts ponied up big time 5 yrs/$65 million extension, agreed but not yet signed.

Next up, they are talking with Anthony Costanzo, who is their best offensive lineman and plays a premium position at LT. The logic in the Indy papers/blogs is that they have to get Costanzo done so that they can use the franchise tag on TE Coby Fleener.

I admit to having had to read that a few times over when I first saw it printed. They feel they have to extend Costanzo now so that they have the franchise tag available for Coby Fleener. Is Fleener even their #1 TE? I thought Dwayne Allen was. Fleener is too small to block, so he is a receiving only TE.

A few things...
1. These are all offensive players getting big bucks. Do they have a budget for defensive players too?
2. Why did they draft WR Philip Dorsett when they already had Donte Moncrief and then feel the need to go $13 million per year on Hilton. Seemed at first like they were planning for life after TY Hilton with a succession plan, but then they paid him anyway.
3. Is Coby Fleener worthy of the franchise tag? I don't think so, but maybe the tag value for TE's is really low like for kickers and this makes it worthwhile.
4. Are they really going to screw with Luck and use the 5th year option and then the franchise tag? Or are they going to pay him sooner and not risk pissing him off?
5. Do they have enough on defense? After Mathis (injured/old) and Cole (old), who can rush the QB? DE's don't grow on trees and aren't cheap. Can Langford stop the run? Is Arthur Jones healthy? Do they have any serviceable LB's? Aside from Vontae Davis, how is their pass defense? I think the answer is they don't have nearly enough on defense.
6. Don't get me started on their offensive line. After Costanzo, they have a 2nd year guy named Mewhort who was good at LG last year that they are forcing to play RT this year. The other 3 guys are awful, including Herremans who they signed from Philly. 2 of the last 3 years he played 8 games and went on IR. He's old and not that good when healthy. Are they trying to get Luck killed or just feel that he can protect himself much like Brady and Manning do.

In conclusion, the Colts lack balance, and all their reportedly planned moves will throw them even further out of balance. Way too much invested on offense, yet still no offensive line.

I think this is the make-or-break year for them versus us. I still think we are 2 TD favorites in any matchup with the Colts because we are a game plan team that can exploit their weaknesses. I can't believe the rest of the league hasn't copied our blueprint for attacking the Colts.

If this is going to be the Colts team they roll out there, it will be "break" for sure.

That defense is even worse than it was a year ago. Maybe they can drag Brittle Bobby Sanders out of retirement or something.

Houston just might overtake them this year in that division.

And when we play them, I hope its something on the order of 63-6.

I've been a houston fan since they announced billy o'b, and I thought they'd win at least as many games as carolina, last season, when many were jumping off the ledge, but taking th division from indy is a stretch, at this point.
they have an awesome defense, and before foster went down I thought they were competitive with indy, but outright winning the division would be a pretty big upset, since indy is likely to simply outscore most teams.

if they can manage a wildcard, however, and happen to meet indy in the playoffs.........

Whoever wrote that must have stumbled upon Irsay's stash. Nobody is that dumb..... Then again, Their GM traded a 1st for Trent Richardson and then went WR in the 1st this year. He's a special kind of stupid.

Whoever wrote that must have stumbled upon Irsay's stash. Nobody is that dumb..... Then again, Their GM traded a 1st for Trent Richardson and then went WR in the 1st this year. He's a special kind of stupid.
You beat me to it.. It's the same old same old for the Colts. Even in Manning's time, they loaded up on offense at the expense of the D. It took a miracle awakening of their rush defense in the playoffs the one year they won , going from historically bad in the regular season to respectable in the playoffs.
Let them tie up all the $$ in the offense and they can wonder why their rush defense is so bad...

Gronk-Solder-Mason-Stork-Jackson-Vollmer-Fleming

LaGarette Blount 30 carries- 250 yards 3 TD
Jonas Gray 25 carries- 160 yards 3 TD

That would send a message.

That would send a message.

I agree. We should only humiliate them on the ground to an extent, too big of a message might help them get the hint and fix a problem we routinely expose.

Or maybe they'll just draft another undersized speedy WR.

Not sure how to break this down but looking at the Cap web site it looks as if they have spent more on defense.

Total Cap Number: $157,109,048 (Top 51: $138,980,688)
Offense: $61,068,886 Defense: $70,875,743 Special: $7,250,000

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

Those must be some awful defensive contracts.

Ugly ugly ugly cap hits for Arthur Jones, Trent Cole, and Robert Mathis. D'Qwell Jackson also played awful last year but his cap hit is reasonable if he comes back from that season.

Not sure how to break this down but looking at the Cap web site it looks as if they have spent more on defense.

Total Cap Number: $157,109,048 (Top 51: $138,980,688)
Offense: $61,068,886 Defense: $70,875,743 Special: $7,250,000

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

Yeah, that's for this year. I don't think that includes TY Hilton, and Andrew Luck's only making $7 million this year.

Trent Cole is one of those brutally terrible contracts, IIRC.

Don't understand parts of the OP... The colts don't play defense so why would there be a budget for it?

Edit: just saw the post from overthecap, wtf?

I am sure that the numbers at overthecap.com are accurate. Surprising though.

Their highest paid player is Vontae Davis with a $14 million cap hit. They also pay a lot for Robert Mathis, Arthur Jones, and Trent Cole.

Most of their new spending will be for offense. TY Hilton's numbers will not really kick up until next year. Same for Luck and Costanzo (though Costanzo counts $7.4 million this year on his 5th year option).

Perhaps it just seems out of balance because their priorities are TY Hilton, Costanzo, Fleener, and Luck. And nobody for the defense is on the list.

Yeah, that's for this year. I don't think that includes TY Hilton, and Andrew Luck's only making $7 million this year.

Trent Cole is one of those brutally terrible contracts, IIRC.

No that doesn't include TY's contract.

Don't understand parts of the OP... The colts don't play defense so why would there be a budget for it?

Edit: just saw the post from overthecap, wtf?

I would actually like to see a team like the Jags, someone who never succeeds no matter what they try, actually do something like that.

Spend 75+% of your budget on one side of the ball. Sign every super star. Make trades. Kind of like an NFL experiment. They'd probably win 4x as many games as they usually do if they did that and give their fans something to cheer for for a change.

I think the Colts are the closest we've seen attempt it.

My favorite thing about our 2007-2009 team is that we didn't actually TRY to break those records. We traded for a malcontent end of his career Moss who was unexpectedly revitalized, traded for an unknown/undrafted and undersized slot receiver, and had a few dependable but for the most part JAG receivers and broke the records. We didn't spend absurd amounts of our cap space to build that offense, it just happened.

The Colts do nothing but try to add piece after piece to an already good offense that was NOT the issue at any point of the season outside of one game, and the team that they added those pieces to counter, basically nullified their efforts by reversing defensive philosophy. They added more pass catchers to beat our suffocating coverage that doesn't exist anymore. Instead, we have a (on paper (and signs of being on the field after Thursday)) brutal front 7 to attack their horrendous OL (which should also be just as effective at attacking Denvers equally bad or worse OL).

I am sure that the numbers at overthecap.com are accurate. Surprising though.

Their highest paid player is Vontae Davis with a $14 million cap hit. They also pay a lot for Robert Mathis, Arthur Jones, and Trent Cole.

Most of their new spending will be for offense. TY Hilton's numbers will not really kick up until next year. Same for Luck and Costanzo (though Costanzo counts $7.4 million this year on his 5th year option).

Perhaps it just seems out of balance because their priorities are TY Hilton, Costanzo, Fleener, and Luck. And nobody for the defense is on the list.

I remember during the draft thinking, "did they just draft a WR?". By default they basically gave us Malcom Brown. Nice little X-mas gift from the Colts.

Another thing.

Why is signing Anthony Costanzo some sort of huge priority for the Colts? He's okay...but he's hardly top-of-the-market kind of value.

I would actually like to see a team like the Jags, someone who never succeeds no matter what they try, actually do something like that.

Spend 75+% of your budget on one side of the ball. Sign every super star. Make trades. Kind of like an NFL experiment. They'd probably win 4x as many games as they usually do if they did that and give their fans something to cheer for for a change.

I think the Colts are the closest we've seen attempt it.

My favorite thing about our 2007-2009 team is that we didn't actually TRY to break those records. We traded for a malcontent end of his career Moss who was unexpectedly revitalized, traded for an unknown/undrafted and undersized slot receiver, and had a few dependable but for the most part JAG receivers and broke the records. We didn't spend absurd amounts of our cap space to build that offense, it just happened.

The Colts do nothing but try to add piece after piece to an already good offense that was NOT the issue at any point of the season outside of one game, and the team that they added those pieces to counter, basically nullified their efforts by reversing defensive philosophy. They added more pass catchers to beat our suffocating coverage that doesn't exist anymore. Instead, we have a (on paper (and signs of being on the field after Thursday)) brutal front 7 to attack their horrendous OL (which should also be just as effective at attacking Denvers equally bad or worse OL).

The Jags have a ton of cap space. Not sure what they are doing. Wait, they are waiting for Luck to become a free agent. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back