PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts making more major cuts: Brackett, Addai, Clark, Bullitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's what I call "taking the pictures off the wall"..and the paint..and the drywall itself.......

Last edited:
I wouldn't sign Addai. Much rather pay a little extra and resign the Law Firm.

There must be a ton of NFL general managers using this forum.....

Colts are now up to $25M in dead cap, pending the trade or release of Freeney. That will put them at over $30M... ouch. They could designate a couple of them as June 1 releases and spread the damage, but probably best to bite the bullitt.

They were at about $100M against the cap after releasing Manning. They will gain some space with these releases, Freeney alone will save $14M, but they probably only have about 45 players signed to the roster. So they can be players in FA, might have $40M to work with, but they will be selective I would assume choosing young guys with upside for the next 5-6 years and some gap filling veterans on inexpensive one and two year deals to help them get through games without getting their new QB killed. And roll any excess over into 2013.

If Luck is the real deal they could be flirting with contention by 2013 and there consistently by 2014 or 2015. If he's not, even if he's just servicable and not special, they will be screwed into the next decade.

Actually he's solid. their OL has been awful at run blocking for years.

If by average you mean "barely JAG caliber," then I'd agree.

I'm not BJGE's biggest fan, but I'd rather just resign him than entertain Addai.

I could seriously see Andrew Luck doing a John Elway or Eli Manning type of refusal to play for the team that drafts him,forcing the team to send Luck elsewhere.

At this point, I'm almost inclined to agree. I get that they're in full-on rebuilding mode, but even with Luck this will be easily the least talented team in the NFL. If they don't get some help along the o-line, they'll be lucky if Luck survives 2-3 rebuilding years.

Anybody know how Saturday was this year? If he can still play he'd seem like a logical fit (I'm assuming Koppen is gone).

I always liked Brackett, but he seemed to be in decline even before missing the season. (Also have no idea how he would fit in our system even if he were sill the effective Brackett.) If he's healthy and nobody throws much $ at him, bring him in, but that applies to a lot of players, I guess. Same goes for Clark, I think.

The hoopla over Clark being cut is the same as all the guys they cut - name recognition. Addai is done. He is a constant injury question who has 900 yards rushing the last 2 years combined. Bullitt has played 6 games in 2 years. Brackett is 31 and missed all of this year with injury.

The hysteria of some NFL fans and the Peter Kings of the media over these cuts ignores 3 things: There is not a single one of those guys who can be counted on in 2012, they all make a lot of $, and none of those guys was going to play any major role in fixing the Colts talent void over the next couple years.

Sort of a silly notion, given that using injury as your argument means that not one player in the NFL can be counted on in any year.

It looks like they're going for the Lions method of building a team! Be that bad to gain enough top 5 picks to become somewhat competitive :D
Unless they turn Andrew Luck into David Carr.

I'll be curious to see how what transpires in 2012 shapes public opinion. Last year it was 'Manning > Brady because 2008 Pats > 2011 Colts'. Does Indy's downfall, which obviously would have occurred with or without Manning alter that mindset, or reinforce it?

Lost in all the Manning drama last year is how far Dallas Clark has fallen. Usually a TE racks up lots of stats with bad QBs, but he's put up 699 yards in 17 games over the last two seasons. He's as good as done right now.

Marcedes Lewis, TE for the Jacksonville Jaguars at NFL.com

Marcedes Lewis racked up 460 yds in 15 games with crap at QB.

Jacob Tamme, TE for the Indianapolis Colts at NFL.com

Jacob Tamme for 177 yards in 15 games.

Anthony Fasano, TE for the Miami Dolphins at NFL.com

Anthony Fasano in 15 games had 451 yards

Visanthe Shiancoe, TE for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com

Visanthe Shancoe for 409 yards in 16 games.

Sorry but I'm not seeing big stats for TEs with bad QBs. I'd be very interested in kicking the tires on Clark and seeing what he has left.

I'll be curious to see how what transpires in 2012 shapes public opinion. Last year it was 'Manning > Brady because 2008 Pats > 2011 Colts'. Does Indy's downfall, which obviously would have occurred with or without Manning alter that mindset, or reinforce it?

2 wins and sucking enough to end up with the #1 pick have overwhelmed the whole "but the team was clearly in decline even before Manning went down, and the backup QBs sucked" side of the argument. I think the history has already been written.

Sort of a silly notion, given that using injury as your argument means that not one player in the NFL can be counted on in any year.

Yeah, let's pretend there is not years of history showing that when veteran NFL players start to get injuries year after year like Clark, Addai, and Bullitt have that the trend doesn't usually continue for them making them much riskier guys to count on as starters and pay big $ to.

Yeah, let's pretend there is not years of history showing that when veteran NFL players start to get injuries year after year like Clark, Addai, and Bullitt have that the trend doesn't usually continue for them making them much riskier guys to count on as starters and pay big $ to.

Let's pretend that injuries only strike older players while we're at it. That won't explain letting guys like Garcon getting to free agency or anything, but it'll make your theory look a little less silly. Well, other than the aforementioned "letting guys like Garcon get to free agency" thing, of course.

Last edited:
I think it's realistic that Luck may be going to a Colts team that is less talented and less to work with than the Colts team that Manning joined over a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes