PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts Franchise Tag Freeney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Colts will be a big player in free agency even if they have cap room. It is very encouraging that they are heading for future potential cap hell with pushing money back for Manning in Mathis. I hope to God they do the same thing with Harrison too. Nothing smarter than guaranteeing money to push it back on a huge contract of a 34 year old WR. Harrison is going to slow down soon and if they keeping pushing money back on his contract he is going to get to the point where he is too expensive for his contribution, but too costly to cut.

I don't think the Colts will be a big player in free agency even if they have cap room. It is very encouraging that they are heading for future potential cap hell with pushing money back for Manning in Mathis. I hope to God they do the same thing with Harrison too. Nothing smarter than guaranteeing money to push it back on a huge contract of a 34 year old WR. Harrison is going to slow down soon and if they keeping pushing money back on his contract he is going to get to the point where he is too expensive for his contribution, but too costly to cut.

I think they're never going to have to pay the piper as the salary cap is going up every year. If anything they will have an aging Harrison.

Look at the NFLPA.org

My mistake.

That's true. I should have put more thought into my post.

I would never accuse you of making stuff up, I said it didn't make sense to me because apparently it didn't. If you said his salary came off while any remaining protated amortization was ADDED on, and then hadn't added the rule of 51 deduction just for good measure, I wouldn't have questioned it.

I know you know more about this than me, but I also know you don't always know it all. And you tend at times to be so cryptic folks have to pull information out of you in confusing dribs and drabs. I know this is likely because you do not want to make a mis statement of fact. But I also believe you have an ever so slight man-crush on Polian, so as a fellow Pat's fan I try to keep a watchful eye on you. ;) :D

So it would appear tonight that unless Uncle Bill gets Dwight signed to a long term deal by the mid July deadline, his cap hit will be somewhere (based on the exclusive tag) in the vacinity of $11M+? If I'm mis-assuming I'm sure you will let me know. :violent:

PS - You told me you thought Asante should sign his tag if it turned out to be the exclusive - should Dwight?

NFL Network reported that they use the exclusive rights tag on Freeney, so it'll be a higher dollar figure. I guess that's not a big surprise, conceivably someone could have offered two #1's for him.

That is being confirmed on the official Colts site. I think it has less to do with concern over being offered the two firsts than that he might get an offer the Colts simply cannot match, or will hear of offers that potentially outstrip what Polian hopes to get him signed for. When you cannot fathom losing the player, it's the only safe way to go. And given what he was saying last fall about intending to become the highest paid player in the game...

Here is what Polian had to say about franchising and/or signing Freeney and signing his remaining FA's on the Colts site:

"We made that pretty clear, I think, that he wasn’t going to go anywhere,” Polian said Monday at a press conference at the Colts’ complex to discuss the NFL Scouting Combine, which will be held at the RCA Dome beginning Wednesday.

“I’ve had a good talk with his agent today. We’ll continue to talk. We’ll continue to talk with the idea of putting together a long-term deal for him. He’s an integral part of this team and we want to see to it that that gets done if at all possible.”

The deadline to designate a player as a franchise player is Thursday, February 22.

Polian said the Colts made Freeney an “exclusive rights” franchise player, meaning he cannot negotiate with other teams.

Several other Colts players are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on March 2, a list that includes running back Dominic Rhodes and linebacker Cato June.

“The key thing is what the market will bear,” Polian said. “There’s a price for everybody we feel we can afford and that we can actually live with under the cap. . . .

“There’s a number beyond which we can’t go for any player. We’ll see what the market bears. Obviously, in all cases – and Cato’s one of the prime examples – we’d like everybody back, but we don’t know what the market’s going to bring.”

Polian said that’s the approach he always takes in free agency, and it’s the one the Colts will take this off-season.

“I’ve always had the same approach that (Colts Head Coach) Tony (Dungy) has, that in a perfect world I’d like everybody back and let them go compete, and we’ll see who the best 53 is at the end of (training) camp,” Polian said. “That’s not the way the system works.

“There are pros and cons to every system. For traditionalists like Tony and I, you’d like it to be the other way, but I’m smart enough to realize if we didn’t have the salary-cap system we wouldn’t be looking forward to getting our World Championship rings, going to the White House and doing all of the things that happen to Super Bowl winners. Because we wouldn’t have the chance to win the Super Bowl in a market this small with a stadium this small.

“There is good and bad in it, but in the end, you find a way to work with it, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Colts fans seem happy for the most part that Freeney was tagged, although they don't yet realize (or typically don't want to know) it will be at a substantially higher cost than the anticipated $8.6M due to the exclusive rights tag being used and the little matter of apparent remaining amortization to absorb. I have a feeling if they can't get a deal done and Colt fans realize his cap number will be around $11.5M they won't be quite so happy.

Later in the article Polian informs them they have been unable thus far to schedule an appointment for a medical exam for Corey Simon. Colts fans assume if Bill stamps his feet firmly enough Simon will disappear and leave all the money behind him. Somehow I don't think it will work out quite that smoothly.

Last edited:
And given what he was saying last fall about intending to become the highest paid player in the game...
Freeney isn't even close to the best defensive end in the NFL let alone the best player in the NFL.

And given what he was saying last fall about intending to become the highest paid player in the game...

Freeney isn't even close to the best defensive end in the NFL let alone the best player in the NFL.

These two statements are both true. Highest paid is not necessarily the best, and vice versa.

[I'm assuming that this post was serious]

Can Tom also agree to a restructuring to lower his cap hit a la Peyton? We should keep ahead of the Colts. Go Pats:rocker:

Peyton's restructuring means that the Colt's are going to be less competitive in the future. We would certainly not want to copy the Colts on this point. In fact, I am happy to report that we have been doing the opposite.

Let me explain:

The key to success in the NFL is making your team as talented as possible. The more talented team may not always win, but it usually does.

The league gives NFL teams two essential resources to build talented teams: Draft Picks and Cap Space.

By restructuring contracts and trading draft picks, teams can move talent from one season to another. GMs can make their current team better, by sacrificing talent from future years. GMs can also invest in the future of their team, by voluntarily making the current season a rebuilding year, and structuring contracts appropriately.

Moving talent between years is a slightly less than zero sum game. Front loading contracts with huge signing bonuses, allows teams to save on cap space in the short term. But if a team has to cut a player with a front loaded contract, it loses more cap space than it gained. Under the new CBA, teams with many front loaded contracts may also have their future salary cap reduced by as much as 100% of the front loading.

Peyton's restructuring will reduce the talent on future Colts teams, but allow them to increase the talent on the 2007 Colts. In the not too distant future, the Colts will have to pay a price for this. Polian is well aware of this. He gave Peyton the greatest combination of receivers of the Salary cap era (imagine if Brady had been surrounded with that kind of talent). The price of that talent will be several years of mediocre Colts football.

Baltimore and Washington are already starting to pay the piper. I don't know how Washington climbs out their current cap mess (Created by a long history of irresponsibility in free agency). Baltimore will probably not franchise tag Adalius Thomas because of their cap troubles. Baltimore could move enough cap space around to do so, but it will cost them talent in future years, potentially more talent than they can afford to lose.

The Patriots have used contracts to move cap space into the future. 2006 LTBE incentives will add several million to our 2007 cap. If Brady restructures his contract, I imagine it will also move cap space from the present to the future. The Deion Branch trade of last year (while not exactly carefully planed) moved talent from 2006 into 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Unlike the Colts, the Patriots are looking at many years of increasingly talented teams.

An added advantage to the Patriot's cap management is that the exchange rate between cap space and talent changes over time. Cap space goes up. Free agent markets get better and worse. Draft classes also vary. Based on the current FA market, it seems likely that (despite a $7M bump in cap space) a dollar of cap space in 2007 will buy less talent than a dollar of cap space in 2008. The Patriots have the opportunity to take advantage of this disparity (assuming that they believe it exists).

PS - You told me you thought Asante should sign his tag if it turned out to be the exclusive - should Dwight?

I believe that every exclusive franchise player should sign their tender. Why cost themselves money??
"The calculation of any five largest Salaries for the current League Year as of the end of the Restricted Free Agent signing period pursuant to Section 2(a)(ii) above shall include any Player Contract resulting from acceptance of any tender for the Prior League Year pursuant to Section 2(a)(i)

[I'm assuming that this post was serious]

Peyton's restructuring means that the Colt's are going to be less competitive in the future. We would certainly not want to copy the Colts on this point. In fact, I am happy to report that we have been doing the opposite.

Let me explain:

The key to success in the NFL is making your team as talented as possible. The more talented team may not always win, but it usually does.

The league gives NFL teams two essential resources to build talented teams: Draft Picks and Cap Space.

By restructuring contracts and trading draft picks, teams can move talent from one season to another. GMs can make their current team better, by sacrificing talent from future years. GMs can also invest in the future of their team, by voluntarily making the current season a rebuilding year, and structuring contracts appropriately.

Moving talent between years is a slightly less than zero sum game. Front loading contracts with huge signing bonuses, allows teams to save on cap space in the short term. But if a team has to cut a player with a front loaded contract, it loses more cap space than it gained. Under the new CBA, teams with many front loaded contracts may also have their future salary cap reduced by as much as 100% of the front loading.

Peyton's restructuring will reduce the talent on future Colts teams, but allow them to increase the talent on the 2007 Colts. In the not too distant future, the Colts will have to pay a price for this. Polian is well aware of this. He gave Peyton the greatest combination of receivers of the Salary cap era (imagine if Brady had been surrounded with that kind of talent). The price of that talent will be several years of mediocre Colts football.

Baltimore and Washington are already starting to pay the piper. I don't know how Washington climbs out their current cap mess (Created by a long history of irresponsibility in free agency). Baltimore will probably not franchise tag Adalius Thomas because of their cap troubles. Baltimore could move enough cap space around to do so, but it will cost them talent in future years, potentially more talent than they can afford to lose.

The Patriots have used contracts to move cap space into the future. 2006 LTBE incentives will add several million to our 2007 cap. If Brady restructures his contract, I imagine it will also move cap space from the present to the future. The Deion Branch trade of last year (while not exactly carefully planed) moved talent from 2006 into 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Unlike the Colts, the Patriots are looking at many years of increasingly talented teams.

An added advantage to the Patriot's cap management is that the exchange rate between cap space and talent changes over time. Cap space goes up. Free agent markets get better and worse. Draft classes also vary. Based on the current FA market, it seems likely that (despite a $7M bump in cap space) a dollar of cap space in 2007 will buy less talent than a dollar of cap space in 2008. The Patriots have the opportunity to take advantage of this disparity (assuming that they believe it exists).

Thanks for the explanation. It appears the Colts are gambling on a superbowl repeat by sacrificing thier future. Go Pats:rocker:

This thread is straight out of 2004 when I signed up. Seriously. "The Colts will never be able to stay competitive the way they pay their players!"

Yes. The Patriots have like 80 billions dollar to spend. They also could have spent it LAST YEAR, too. They didn't. The Colts rarely spend on FA's and use every bit of their cap to ensure they keep their core players.

To each his own. But this is not some Johnny come lately organization. Polian and Co. know what they're doing.

So it would appear tonight that unless Uncle Bill gets Dwight signed to a long term deal by the mid July deadline, his cap hit will be somewhere (based on the exclusive tag) in the vacinity of $11M+?

How did you come up with that figure??

This thread is straight out of 2004 when I signed up. Seriously. "The Colts will never be able to stay competitive the way they pay their players!"

Yes. The Patriots have like 80 billions dollar to spend. They also could have spent it LAST YEAR, too. They didn't. The Colts rarely spend on FA's and use every bit of their cap to ensure they keep their core players.

To each his own. But this is not some Johnny come lately organization. Polian and Co. know what they're doing.

Polian knows EXACTLY what he is doing. He won you a superbowl. He may even be able to make you competitive again in 2007. He did it by sacrificing your competitiveness for several years in the middle of Manning's prime. I'll bet he'd do it again. Most team owners and fans would. Wouldn't you?

How did you come up with that figure??

I think he's including nearly $2M in DF signing bonus which should come due this year now that the old contract has been voided.

I'm kind of surprised at the suggestion here that should DF sign a new long term contract, the nearly $2M could be spread out into future cap years. Can anyone here confirm that this is the case?

Or is the nearly $2M in prorated bonuses that I imagined being assigned to the last two years of his deal something that I imagined?

The price of that talent will be several years of mediocre Colts football.

Several years??? The Ravens were in cap hell a year after their Super Bowl victory and they were able to be serious SB contenders last year.

This sounds exactly like the drunken sailor spending comparison that was made last year by this board to contend that the Patriots would have a serious advantage in free agency this year. I said last year that there would be a good number of teams beside the Pats with cap space this year and that the 2007 FA class would not be as good as the 2006 FA class.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...thread.php?t=44220&page=4&highlight=economics

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34330&highlight=economics

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=38474&highlight=briggs

Teams are locking up their young talent. See the Chargers and the Eagles.

As for the 2008 FA class, look at the 2006 Pro-Bowl roster and guess how the young ones will be UFAs next offseason.

I think they're never going to have to pay the piper as the salary cap is going up every year. If anything they will have an aging Harrison.

The thing is the cap isn't going to continue to jump like they have the last two years for all that much longer. The system is correcting itself for the new CBA, but the cap isn't going to jump $10 million a year for all that much longer. When the cap stablizes and it goes back to more modest jumps of $3-4 million a year like it was before the new CBA, it will start to catch up to a lot of teams. The Colts are in a position to be one of them because most of their big contracts will be in the big year with an expensive Harrison being 36 or 37.

I'm kind of surprised at the suggestion here that should DF sign a new long term contract, the nearly $2M could be spread out into future cap years. Can anyone here confirm that this is the case?

The suggestion was actually that if DF was signed to a long-term deal before he voided the deal then the Colts would have been able to prorate prior signinb bonuses (200/2003/2004) over the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

The thing is the cap isn't going to continue to jump like they have the last two years for all that much longer. The system is correcting itself for the new CBA, but the cap isn't going to jump $10 million a year for all that much longer. When the cap stablizes and it goes back to more modest jumps of $3-4 million a year like it was before the new CBA, it will start to catch up to a lot of teams.

FWIW - It has already been announced that the 2008 cap will be $116 million, a $7 million increase over the 2007 cap.

Without the new CBA, the Colts would have started to be ripped apart last year. The Colts got lucky that the league and players agreed to grow the cap exponentially. Without the new CBA, the Colts wouldn't have Vinatieri, Mathis, or a few other players right now.

The cap will be corrected in a year or two and it won't grow at these exponential rates. Many teams are going to go back to being in cap hell and forced to cut players to get under the cap. The Colts are potentially one of those teams.

Without the new CBA, the Colts would have started to be ripped apart last year. The Colts got lucky that the league and players agreed to grow the cap exponentially.

I ask for the third time - what did the 2006 cap have to be for the Colts to have been in cap hell last year??

I ask for the second time - what is reasonable to presume that the CBA would be extended??

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 11:23 p.m. EST, February 19, 2007
COLTS SLAP EXCLUSIVE TAG ON FREENEY

The Colts have applied the franchise tag to defensive end Dwight Freeney. And at a time when some wondered whether the defending Super Bowl champs would restrict his mobility in free agency at all, Indy has opted to use the "exclusive" version of the tag. As a result, he cannot negotiate with any other teams.

Per a league source, the move means that the one-year tender for Freeney will be at least $8.64 million, and that it could be roughly $9.5 million.

At $9.5 million, the minimum cost of franchising him again in 2008 would be $11.4 million.

The potential increase in the tender is due to the fact that, for exclusive franchise players, the value of the one-year deal is recalculated after the first phase of the coming free agency period, based on the average of the five highest-paid players at the position.

Speaking of Colts UFAs, Dominic Rhodes got arrested for drunk driving this morning:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...bc.fbn.rhodesarrest.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back