PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts Franchise Tag Freeney

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could he be already counting against the 2007 cap if was a UFA? I know he had voidable years in his deal, including a $1M projected salary for 2007, but the last two years of his rookie deal were obviously voided some time ago or there would have been no reason to tag him.
Look up how Terrell Owens left the 49ers.

And if they prorated bonus into 2007 back in 2002, wouldn't that remain a plus and not a minus as if in effect dead cap?
Yes. I should not have included minus prorated signing bonus. My main point was that Freeney was already counting against the 2007 Colts' cap, my stupid mistakes aside.

NFL Network reported that they use the exclusive rights tag on Freeney, so it'll be a higher dollar figure. I guess that's not a big surprise, conceivably someone could have offered two #1's for him.

Impact players?

Dominic Rhodes was good in the playoffs but the Super Bowl was his first 100 yard game in 6 seasons. He averaged 3.4 yards a carry this season. Joseph Addai is excellent.

Harper? His backups were the impact players in the playoffs, Hayden and Marlin Jackson.

Cato June? Give me Keiaho.

Colts will return the same team but with several upgrades.

This isn't Ty Law, McGinnest, Vinatieri, Branch by any stretch.

The Colts manage the cap very well.

Look at the NFLPA.org

Right, but were those numbers at any time entered into any calculations for the Colts' 2007 cap space? I believe Freeney triggered this contract void a few years ago.

Right, but were those numbers at any time entered into any calculations for the Colts' 2007 cap space? I believe Freeney triggered this contract void a few years ago.

Adamjt13 provided this answer to a FAQ
"A player signs a 5-year deal with a $5 mil. signing bonus. The deal will void after three years if the player has hit certain incentives and if he's still on the roster on the last day of the Year 3 league year (Feb. 28). So three seasons pass and the player has hit those incentives. After the deal voids, the remaining $2 mil. in pro-rated signing bonus will count against the team's Year 4 cap. How will the cap hit of this $2 mil. be distributed if the team signs the player to a multi-year deal before Feb. 28? How will it be distributed if the team signs the player to a multi-year deal after Feb. 28?

If the contract is extended before it voids, the prorated amounts do not accelerate. His original proration of $1 million per year for the next two years remains in effect. Any new signing bonus prorations from the extension are added to it."

If Freeney triggered the void a few years ago, then when did the proration of his signing bonuses hit the Colts' cap??

In 2003??
In 2004??
In 2005??
In 2006??

Miguel, do you know how the Patriots finished up the 2006 season with respect to the cap. I seem to remember that they had some money left but spent it prior to the cap period ending. Do you know if they spent all of their money in 2006? Thanks.

Adamjt13 provided this answer to a FAQ
"A player signs a 5-year deal with a $5 mil. signing bonus. The deal will void after three years if the player has hit certain incentives and if he's still on the roster on the last day of the Year 3 league year (Feb. 28). So three seasons pass and the player has hit those incentives. After the deal voids, the remaining $2 mil. in pro-rated signing bonus will count against the team's Year 4 cap. How will the cap hit of this $2 mil. be distributed if the team signs the player to a multi-year deal before Feb. 28? How will it be distributed if the team signs the player to a multi-year deal after Feb. 28?

If the contract is extended before it voids, the prorated amounts do not accelerate. His original proration of $1 million per year for the next two years remains in effect. Any new signing bonus prorations from the extension are added to it."

If Freeney triggered the void a few years ago, then when did the proration of his signing bonuses hit the Colts' cap??

In 2003??
In 2004??
In 2005??
In 2006??

Wait -

By "voiding" a contract, does that refer to when Freeney actually triggered the void or when the contract actually voids (last year of non-voided years)?

Last edited:
Miguel, do you know how the Patriots finished up the 2006 season with respect to the cap. I seem to remember that they had some money left but spent it prior to the cap period ending. Do you know if they spent all of their money in 2006? Thanks.

They had 78 cents left.

You are not Miguel, if you are serious thanks. If not could Miguel please answer this for me. Thanks again.

Ok, if you want to play that game....

http://patscap.com/2006capinfo.html

According to my figures the Patriots' 2006 cap figure is $99,647,347 with 68 players (53 active) signed and a 8-man practice squad. The salary cap is $102 million. The Patriots's adjusted cap adjustment is a negative $1,990,060 so their adjusted cap number will be $100,009,940. Therefore, if my calcuations are correct, the Pats are under the cap by around $400,000. It was reported on the radio that the Patriots ended the 2006 season under the cap by just 78 cents so my numbers are off by the same 400,000 thousand - an error of less than 1/2 of 1 percent of the Patriots' adjusted cap.

Last edited:
Wait -

By "voiding" a contract, does that refer to when Freeney actually triggered the void or when the contract actually voids (last year or non-voided years)?

I have always understood it to be the latter.

[
QUOTE=Miguel;345131]Look up how Terrell Owens left the 49ers.

I thought his agent failed to file paperwork thus he could not become a free agent which resulted TO being shopped around to balt and eagles and ended up with the eagles for a draft choice.

Last edited:
I have always understood it to be the latter.

Then there would be a hypothetical $1 million hit in Year 4 and Year 5.

But that still doesn't solve if Freeney's paragraph 5 salaries in 2007 and beyond counted against any 2007 cap calculations once the void was triggered.

Thus, if his 2007 P5 salary never counted against the 2007 cap once the void was triggered, then the net cap hit is the franchise tender, plus his existing bonus proration.

I guess the crux of the whole thing is that when Clayton put out the Colts being $XX under the 2007 cap, he most likely wasn't including Freeney's 2007 P5 salary, as Freeney gave up his right to that in exchange for his contractual freedom (or now, lack thereof).

Last edited:
[

I thought his agent failed to file paperwork thus he could not become a free agent which resulted TO being shopped around to balt and eagles and ended up with the eagles for a draft choice.

My point being is that even though the player had done enough to allow him to void the deal, he still had to void the deal.

Then there would be a hypothetical $1 million hit in Year 4 and Year 5.

No, it would be a hit the year that Freeney send in his paperwork to void the deal. It appears that this is the year.

My point being is that even though the player had done enough to allow him to void the deal, he still had to void the deal.

isn't that a little philosophical? if he had to void it in the end then maybe he didn't do enough to void it?

No, it would be a hit the year that Freeney send in his paperwork to void the deal. It appears that this is the year.

Ah, OK, so the franchise tender doesn't technically count as an extension?

So if the Colts don't reach a mutli-year deal with him, there would be a hypothetical $2 million cap hit in 2007?

isn't that a little philosophical? if he had to void it in the end then maybe he didn't do enough to void it?
That was the ruling.:)He missed the deadline.

BTW Manning's restructure just lowered his cap hit from $16M+ to $8M+. That money doesn't just disappear. It is all falling into the next 3-5 years depanding on whether his contract actually voided to 7 years as widely reported for some time now or not. Years when bonuses dry up replaced by double digit salaries. You can guarantee and prorate those too, but eventually you run out of years to dump them into without starting over, which means a big new signing bonus to prorate into years already loaded down with prior amortization - so it's not nearly as palatable as the first time around when you started with a clean slate.

Can Tom also agree to a restructuring to lower his cap hit a la Peyton? We should keep ahead of the Colts. Go Pats:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes