PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts fans get to laugh now. Pats fans laugh next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your reasoning, but it still sucks, it's like when yankee fans think, "hey we've got 26 WS championships", it doesn't change the fact that your team lost that year. Hopefully we can win SB 43.

What's wrong with winning Super Bowl 42?

The cap is a farce. How come every year the redskins can spend all the $$$

There was a great article on Fox Sports explaining why the Redskins are able to sign guys when they are below the cap. If I remember correctly, the Redskins would back load their deals. Meaning, newly aquired players would make little money in the first couple of years then during the last couple of years they would make a lot of money. Also, giving huge signing bonuses (which came out of Synder's pocket) made the contract look bigger then it really is. In sum, there are loopholes teams can exploit to sign players if they are low in cap, it comes from the owners pocket. The luxury tax!

Freeney is a FA but the Colts will franchise him.

With what money? The transition tag for a DE is $7.7M, and they have less than $5M.

With what money? The transition tag for a DE is $7.7M, and they have less than $5M.
The Franchise number is $8.644M. The Colts will have to get this much under the cap to Franchise him. They'll restructure some deals to do it but they have some work to do with this combined with the other FA.

Just a reminder of what we Pats fans get to look forward to. :D

PATRIOTS
Approximate cap room: $27M
First-day draft picks: 24, 28, 60, 92

DOLTS
Approximate cap room: $5M
First-day draft picks: 31/32, 95/96

I'm no cap expert, but I'd say we have more cap room than them.:)

It also appears we have more draft picks, though I'm just a layman.:)

The cap is a farce. How come every year the redskins can spend all the $$$

Dude, they were 5-11. When's the last losing patriots team?

Before we crow too loudly about the disparity between our salary

cap room and that of the Colts, let's see what happens in the month

of March. If the Pats lose Asante Samuel and Daniel Graham and

have not made any significant additions to their roster, their advantage

will have been lost. I suspect the Colts will find ways to hold on

to most of their good players.

The Pats obviously have a better chance to improve themselves in

the draft than the Colts provided a couple of the Pats draft choices

make a meaningful contribution in 2007.

Last edited:
The Colts are one of those teams who wins the Championship, and all the players leave the following season.

Freeney is going to want 10M per year and a 10M signing bonus minimum. And considering how good he is, he is going to get it from some team. The Colts will have to do some major restructures to fit him under the cap. And if they do that means they have to let all the other FAs walk and hope they can plug in the holes via the draft.

Just an idea but... could the Pats offer a poison pill contract (that would make it very hard for the Colts to match) to Freeney then plug him in at OLB? He would be a pass rushing terror for the Pats although I'm aware of his weaknesses at plugging the run. But our DL can disguise that better than most in the league I would think.

Last edited:
Freeney is going to want 10M per year and a 10M signing bonus minimum. And considering how good he is, he is going to get it from some team. The Colts will have to do some major restructures to fit him under the cap. And if they do that means they have to let all the other FAs walk and hope they can plug in the holes via the draft.

Just an idea but... could the Pats offer a poison pill contract (that would make it very hard for the Colts to match) to Freeney then plug him in at OLB? He would be a pass rushing terror for the Pats although I'm aware of his weaknesses at plugging the run. But our DL can disguise that better than most in the league I would think.

I don't see the Pats doing it. But, someone else might. TB supposedly hot after him. How's this for a poison pill. Must be highest paid player on team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back