PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts Fan need to slow down

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtunstal

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I have been noticing a lot of Colt fans acting like the Colts will be good for a very long time. I would like to differ here.

1. Do they think once there team does win a super bowl that teams will not grab their coordinators? Just like Teams wanted the Patriots coordinators to be head coaches.
2. That the colts will be able to keep all this high powered offence together, because after they win most will want big bucks if they are about to hit free agency. Just look at those that the Pats lost because now they have the rings. And its time to ?show me the money?.
3. Its been proven that after many teams win the super bowl the get complacent, just look to the Steelers, Tampa Bay and Baltimore. The fowling year they didn?t even make the play offs. And why because they lost a lot of their players to free agency, because they got the rings. And they did not have good enough back up players to help unlike the pats who have a bunch of middle tier players.
4. Payton is a very good QB, but one has to wonder that if he didn?t have the same Oline or receivers for the last 5-6 years how good would this prolific offence be. I would say that it would properly not be that good. They have been lucky so far to have maintained their core group.
5. Nothing last for ever.:D

I don't see them winning any Super bowls, sorry but that defense is going to exposed in the play-offs like any other year. The defense my be worst they have had in the last 4 years.

The dolts have had their offense together now for quite a while (the core) including the OC who has been there ( i believe) since PM got there. Their offense has been their only good part of the team consistantly, but i don't see that changing either becuase they won't win a SB anytime soon. As pissed as PM get's when a reciever doesn't run the route just right, imagine when he has to bring in new people (recievers, O-line, OC, ect...) ---if that ever happened it would probably spell a lot of trouble until they could get everyone on the same page...

their offensive coordinator is like ancient

well..i would be happy too if my team had a horrible defense and still was undefeated beating denver,ne,nyg...on the road...colts fans have all the reasons to be elated...

They have some tough ufa decisions at the end of the year.
I believe Freeney,June and Diem(ot) are ufa's. They don't have
the cap room or draft picks to change their team much. They
might be able to keep a couple of those guys. But, they won't
have much room to upgrade elsewhere. I think they better win
it this year. SD will get nothing but better as Rivers gains
experience. If Cutler is the real deal. Denver isn't going anywhere.
Pats will surely be better with extra picks and cap space.

Many people have said that the Manning contract will come back to bite the Colts when some of their better players come up for contract renewal. With some of this year's upcoming renewals this could come to pass. I think that Manning is too selfish to rework his contract since he is "all about me". Hope so. It would not bother me at all to see the Colts become a second level team.

patsfaninpa said:
They have some tough ufa decisions at the end of the year.
I believe Freeney,June and Diem(ot) are ufa's.
Diem is not going to be an UFA in 2007. He is signed through the 2011 season.

They don't have
the cap room or draft picks to change their team much.
How much cap room do the Colts have??
What draft picks including comp picks will the Colts have in 2007??

rtunstal said:
I have been noticing a lot of Colt fans acting like the Colts will be good for a very long time. I would like to differ here.

1. Do they think once there team does win a super bowl that teams will not grab their coordinators? Just like Teams wanted the Patriots coordinators to be head coaches.
2. That the colts will be able to keep all this high powered offence together, because after they win most will want big bucks if they are about to hit free agency. Just look at those that the Pats lost because now they have the rings. And its time to ?show me the money?.
3. Its been proven that after many teams win the super bowl the get complacent, just look to the Steelers, Tampa Bay and Baltimore. The fowling year they didn?t even make the play offs. And why because they lost a lot of their players to free agency, because they got the rings. And they did not have good enough back up players to help unlike the pats who have a bunch of middle tier players.
4. Payton is a very good QB, but one has to wonder that if he didn?t have the same Oline or receivers for the last 5-6 years how good would this prolific offence be. I would say that it would properly not be that good. They have been lucky so far to have maintained their core group.
5. Nothing last for ever.:D

Tom Moore is too old for anyone to make a run at for a head coaching position. If anyone wants meeks, please take him. Maybe Tony could get Kiffen away from Tampa now.

Most of the Colts' offense is locked up for awhile, which is why they have all the turnover on defense.

I think those teams had trouble because they sold their futures for the present and a run at the Super Bowl and got into all kinds of cap issues. I know most everyone around here hates Polian, but you have to admit he has been able to keep the Colts competative for a while.

taltos said:
Many people have said that the Manning contract will come back to bite the Colts when some of their better players come up for contract renewal. With some of this year's upcoming renewals this could come to pass. I think that Manning is too selfish to rework his contract since he is "all about me". Hope so. It would not bother me at all to see the Colts become a second level team.

Don't be surprised if Peyton redoes his deal after this season. He has a $10 million bonus coming up that can be reworked into a signing bonus that can be spread over the life of the contract freeing up a good chunk of space under the cap.

taltos said:
Many people have said that the Manning contract will come back to bite the Colts when some of their better players come up for contract renewal.

Many said on this board that this would be the year that the Colts fall apart. I did not know at the time that they must have been defining 8-0 as falling apart.

The talk that 2006 would see the Colts fall apart has proven to be wishful thinking.

Teams lose good players all the time to free agency. Yet somehow when the Colts lose their good players, it will be because of Manning's contract. Why is that?? Manning is the 2nd best player in the league. He is still improving. Should the Colts keep Freeney if he wants to be the highest paid defender in the league?? Would you make Freeney the highest paid defender in the league??If not, then why blame Manning's contract??

The Colts have nothing in common with teams that have faced cap hell in the past -
1.) The Colts are one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Teams about to go into cap hell are usually one of the oldest teams in the NFL. Based on Week 1 rosters, the Colts were the 3rd youngest team in 2005 and the 3rd youngest team in 2006.
2.) The Colts with the largest cap numbers (Manning, Glenn, Harrison, Wayne) are still playing at a high level and are still among the best at their position. Teams that have gone into cap hell had several highly paid players not playing to their cap level.

How does anyone know that the Colts will not tag Freeney simply to trade him for draft picks???

But I suppose that move would be criticized on this board.

Miguel said:
But I suppose that move would be criticized on this board.

So what if it is, ignorance is bliss....

Clonamery said:
So what if it is, ignorance is bliss....

If so, then those who predicted that the Colts would not make the playoffs this year must be very happy;)

Miguel said:
If so, then those who predicted that the Colts would not make the playoffs this year must be very happy;)

All good things (?!?!?) come to an end.

I have mixed feelings (as you do) when you point out the flaws in the blind bashing of the Colts. But since you have cred.......

Colts offence is playing its heart out to make up for the defence but you got question yourself if this tempo can be maintained over the next 11 games [SB bound].
Also,as last year after game 13 it goes back to will you rest your player especially your offence after home field is won.if not can they sustain this without a break for so many weeks.

No way they will be 16-0.They are hoping that playing in the dome will not expose them to bad weather for passing game scenario which would kill the team.to many tangables.

I know they will lose but if that is in the regular season they will win the SB....they got 30 million tied up in 3 players and if any 1 gets injured its game over.

Last edited:
The Colts fan can hype themselves up all they want..they will NOT get to the Super Bowl..they will NOT be undefeated..they have a solid team, but they also have a defense that can be exploited..offensive teams do NOT win Lombardis..and if one looked at the past..it's more the teams with balance and with tough Ds that win. The Colts are the total antithesis of any of these...it would be a first..can they do that?? I do not think so..I am surprised they are 8-0..but this is not the playoffs..look what happened last year..they have a LOT to prove..and winning in the reg season is not the proof.

Actually, I'm way more impressed with this year's version of Colts at the 8-0 point than last year's 8-0 Colts. Last year they had an extremely soft begginning of their schedule. This year, they've beaten some very good teams on the way to 8-0, and those good teams (Giants, Broncos & Pats) they've beaten on the road. They've also done that with a less than stellar defense. That being said, that defense is what will let them down (along with Peyton's typical choking) in the playoffs.

The Colts have already dodged a couple bulets this year. In some ways, they are reminiscent of past Pats teams, winning by a hair in the last minutes of the game. They will eventually lose a game this way -- they are not blowing their opponents out of the water.

workhorse said:
I know most everyone around here hates Polian, but you have to admit he has been able to keep the Colts competative for a while.

Sorry, I don't consider you "competative" just because you win a lot of games. Making the playoffs every year and losing does not make you competative in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back