PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts are now under the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Peyton and Marvin redid their deals and shaved off about $12.5 million from the cap. So the Colts are not only not having to worry about cutting anyone, they have a couple million to spare.

link

Since the article made no mention of Manning or Harrison giving any money back, I am real curios how they pulled that one off!

workhorse said:
Peyton and Marvin redid their deals and shaved off about $12.5 million from the cap. So the Colts are not only not having to worry about cutting anyone, they have a couple million to spare.

link

Gee, I wonder who on this board predicted this ;)

Miguel said:
Gee, I wonder who on this board predicted this ;)

Nice one. If you know the numbers for next week's (UK) National Lottery, I'll buy the ticket and split 50-50 with you. :D

BTW, what's your best guess about the next CBA? Does 58% of revenue seem likely?

I once pointed out, and will mention again, that the Colts are not as dumb with the salary cap as we often think they are. Sure they're chokers, but they field a legitimate team in the salary cap era each year.

Miguel said:
See my guess at how the Colts pulled it off at
http://www.patscap.com/manning.gif

Miguel:

When calculating the "salary" for the 30% Rule, don't you have to include not only the base salary, but also the amount prorated for that year from the 2006 and 2007 option bonuses?

Thus, for 30% rule calculations, the "salary" in your last example would be:

2006: $5.005 million
2007: $9.840 million

My math isn't as good as it used to be, but that looks like more than a 30% increase to me.

shakadave said:
I once pointed out, and will mention again, that the Colts are not as dumb with the salary cap as we often think they are. Sure they're chokers, but they field a legitimate team in the salary cap era each year.

I agree with you they know how the salary cap should be done.
Bet they find a way to keep james too.

hwc said:
Miguel:

When calculating the "salary" for the 30% Rule, don't you have to include not only the base salary, but also the amount prorated for that year from the 2006 and 2007 option bonuses?

Thus, for 30% rule calculations, the "salary" in your last example would be:

2006: $5.005 million
2007: $9.840 million

My math isn't as good as it used to be, but that looks like more than a 30% increase to me.

If you are right and you probably are, then only explanation then, is that Manning gave up some money in 2007 or gave up some money in 2006 or both. How else could the Colts save $5 million on the 2006 cap and have the contract approved??

Miguel said:
If you are right and you probably are, then only explanation then, is that Manning gave up some money in 2007 or gave up some money in 2006 or both. How else could the Colts save $5 million on the 2006 cap and have the contract approved??

Say it ain't so. :eek: I think some people on this board might roll over and die if they hear Peyton gave money up.

Miguel said:

Just thought of a way. The Colts added a LTBE incentive when that he is not likely to earn to Manning's contract for the 2007 year

Miguel said:

I don't know. But, my hunch is that teams are probably using some buyout option at the team's choice. For example, take money out of Manning's deal and then put in a buyout option clause that restores the "x" million dollars he gave up if an option to terminate is exercised before a given date. This sort of thing might be a way to guarantee money that doesn't trigger the "guarantee" provisions of the salary cap because it is a team option.

I would have to defer to Adam on the legality of such an approach.

Miguel said:
Just thought of a way. The Colts added a LTBE incentive when that he is not likely to earn to Manning's contract for the 2007 year

Just realized that adding an incentive to the 2007 year would not help.

workhorse said:
Say it ain't so. :eek: I think some people on this board might roll over and die if they hear Peyton gave money up.

Only because we have it on good authority it is one lesser known of the signs of the apocolypse. :D

arrellbee said:
Would it be too much trouble to put the spreadsheet up as well as the GIF ?? I, for one, would really appreciate that if you could.

Will do once I get a chance.

Who cares

The Colts could be under the cap, at the cap, over the cap... who gives a rat's tookus. Why waste time talking about them like they're an actual concern? Let me know when Manning lives up to his potential and the Colts actually win the AFC; then I'll be concerned about them. They can't beat the Pats, and they apparently can't beat the Steelers either. File them under "I" for "insignificant until proven otherwise".... :D

JD10367 said:
The Colts could be under the cap, at the cap, over the cap... who gives a rat's tookus. Why waste time talking about them like they're an actual concern? Let me know when Manning lives up to his potential and the Colts actually win the AFC; then I'll be concerned about them. They can't beat the Pats, and they apparently can't beat the Steelers either. File them under "I" for "insignificant until proven otherwise".... :D

True Dat

and what new rules will Polian sneak through to further aid the Colts and Manling in the quest for "the ring!!"....Polian should invest in a laxative to ease Peytie's pucker ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back