PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colt Lyerla

PatsfanCP

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The pats wont do it but this dude is a beast a true pass catching tight end

His on the field play reminds me of hernandez

He has off the field trouble but trust me he not going to do anything like hernandez

I'm with you but his Sandy Hook comments are probably too much. I don't care about the dude doing blow in a parking lot, but to call the parents of the killed children liars or whatever is...tough to get past.

its a shame they cant take a flyer on him....oh well

He has off the field trouble but trust me he not going to do anything like hernandez
why should we trust you? how well do you personally know this guy?

last i heard he had MAJOR issues. Caught with cocaine and was kicked off the team in college.

Lyerla is a fine player and is just what we need on the field, but he's a loose cannon, has mental issues, would be a cancer in the locker room and no-one, least of all the Pats, is going to draft him.

Man these Colt Lyerla threads come up every so often and all they do is get my hopes up, knowing its never going to happen......

Talent wise, he's the best TE this draft...in my opinion. He's a mix of Gronk and Hernandez. His off the field crap is well documented. He's a little kid still looking for a father figure.

If his head right, with Brady throwing him the ball, and pairing up with Gronk. He's a monster, but his comments about Sandy Hook, quitting on the team, AH murder case, all that tells me it's never going to happen. Shame cuz he'd be perfect for us.

I think its a shame that we can get over somebodys actions but not their words. Torture animals,rape,and murder you get a second chance. Offend someone by saying something stupid and your life is over. We need to grow thicker skins.

I think its a shame that we can get over somebodys actions but not their words. Torture animals,rape,and murder you get a second chance. Offend someone by saying something stupid and your life is over. We need to grow thicker skins.

EThgYxM.jpg

Yeah, it's a shame those stupid fake dead kids are ruining Lyerla's career.

Well there's also the cocaine abuse, quitting school, a litany of falling outs with coaches and team mates and what he refers to himself as 'negative influences'.....

Well there's also the cocaine abuse, quitting school, a litany of falling outs with coaches and team mates and what he refers to himself as 'negative influences'.....

Yeah but still I think the point remains that we, as a society, would probably rather see Lylera raping and murdering his way across the countryside.

If it was me, I would take him in the seventh round (kind of like Dennard). Maybe structure the contract like Robert Downey, Jr where he slips up with the coke (through routine drug testing) and he can be terminated immediately with no money, etc. I am the first one to give second chances but only with covering yourself first incase they do something stupid again.

However with that said, after Hernandez and that fiasco, I doubt Pats would touch someone like this with a 100-foot pole for the next few years at the very least.

He's got Bengals written all over him. I think they give extra points in evaluations for " off field issues". Too bad for him they already have Gresham and Eifert. I can't see him being drafted by the Pats, Jets or Giants based on Newtown comments.......

Couple of thoughts I have on Lyerla –
  1. To offer up a little bit of convenience store psychiatry, Lyerla is a young man who grew up in turmoil often times a way to deal with awful things happening to you is to disconnect yourself from the situation. What happened at Sandy Hook was an awful thing; Colt’s way of dealing with that awful event may have been to buy into a theory that allowed him to believe it did not really happen. To assume what was said was done in malleolus is ignoring the person and their experiences.
  2. He is a very talented player, but unlike Hernandez, he lacks the production at the college level, Hernandez loved the game of football and was a very hard worker (with the assistance of angel dust). Hernandez was one of the strongest players in the NFL lb. for lb. I am not sure Lyerla has that same dedication to the game, Hernandez offered an undeniable combination talent, and college production, Lyerla only offers talent.
  3. If we had a troubled player accused of murder the year before the 2010 NFL draft Aaron Hernandez would not have been drafted, we had never had that type of black eye before so we were more ignorant to the possibilities and problems a troubled player could cause. Knowing it now Lyerla is very unlikely to be drafted by us.
  4. We cannot draft Lyerla, it would indicated to the community that we do not give a rats ass, we take no responsibility for the Hernandez situation, and we have no intentions of changing anything we do and have learned nothing.

Your first point is a laughable rationalization. The others, not so bad. Also, "malleolus?"

Edit: What awful things did he go through?

Last edited:
His off the field play also reminds me of Hernandez....pass.

sad that we're so desperate that we're hoping for another psychopath tight end. at least this guy doesn't have a violent history with guns.

belichick said that he felt that JG was a good person and that character was important.

no way we sign lyerla. the ravens will take a flyer on him with one of their comps.

If he's there in the seventh, I'd go for it. He's just the type of TE we need. And can he be any worse than other players. At least he wasn't involved somehow, someway in a fatal stabbing at a nightclub in Atlanta like some former All Pro middle linebackers I seem to remember. Babysit Colt with a woman, like the Israelis do. Work and screw him to exhaustion.

Take him in the 6th Dude is a great player

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back