Welcome to PatsFans.com

Colorado Springs to turn into Baghdad thanks to tax averse Conservatives

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Phokus

Phokus Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you're a criminal, colorado springs would be a great place to move to to start a life of crime.

For context, this is how much colorado springs pays in property taxes:

LOL, Coloradans would rather their city turn into an Eastern European slum rather than raise their already meager taxes just a tiny bit.

Here's a little more background on how this happened:

The Seminal Colorado Springs, TABOR, Redcuctio Ad Absurdum

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Your numbers are wrong.

On a $185K house in 2005 the property tax was $874; only $73 of that went to the city but that's a separate issue. While that is a low property tax (the $874), tripling it would put the total property tax to about $3K for a $200K house.

http://www.springsgov.com/units/budget/2005/2005GlanceandCommProfile.pdf

3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

NEPatriot has some competiton now. His "Obama's policies starving millions to death"(paraphrase) thread Title earned him dumbest Title of the year award but I have a feeling that won't last.:rolleyes:

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Glad to see someone trying to put some restraints on government hope this will workout for them. Thanks for the info silly title aside.

5. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wow, so a town realized that they couldn't afford a ton of parks, so they are cutting most of those services instead of doubling taxes? I didn't know that was possible. Hmm, balance the budge by reducing spending instead of raising taxes. What a novel idea! This is brilliant! Can't believe no one's thought of this before.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Um, you do realize it's not just "parks," don't you? It's also police presence, firemen, street lights, social workers, youth programs, childcare, buses and road repairs which are falling by the wayside.

Nice to have cheap taxes - It's a good lesson in that you get what you pay for.

7. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Thank you, David Copperfield, but you slick illusion has been exposed as a typical cheap parlor trick.

Yes, the libertard thing to do - when you need to cut spending, cut it on the police, firemen, youth, public transportation, etc first. Cut spending on the most important things to create a false sense of emergency. Too bad Americans are waking up to this stupidity.

Way to go Calorado Springs!!! You're learning, like the rest of the country, it's not an income problem, it's a spending problem. Let the other libertard areas of the country stew in their self-created mountain of debt.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

With all that extra tax money, I'm sure peopel will be lining up to pay the police and fire department out of pocket.
    Watch as the citizens of Colorado Springs leap at the chance to complete public projects on their private time, and police themselves.

holy crap....

Its sad. I'm seeing the same thing happen in California to a lesser extent. There are pockets of this happening right now. As stated and debated in past threads, we will see what philosophy works best. But as we've seen on a national scale, Conservative economics tend to run deficits, while liberal ones tend to run surplusses.

No matter...Wal Mart or Chevron will soon own Colorado Springs.

America!...what a company!

9. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +18 / 4 / -3

#24 Jersey

Could this ever happen in Taxachuessetts? God knows, you need those 150k/yr popo's and firemen. All states should take heed of this. It's time to start cutting, especially these ridiculous pensions that state workers are getting. It is insanity.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Assuming the tripling of the property tax meant the actual property tax and not the tiny bit the state gives to the city, this would have been an increase of about $2,000 per house worth $200K. That's a lot of money, it's no wonder it was voted down.

Maybe the bigger question is why does the city get less than 10% of the property tax if the state isn't paying for these services out of the 90+% that the state keeps. Presumably schools get funded out of that, I would where the rest goes.

11. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Does anyone here need any more proof that an excess of entitlements muddle the brain???

As Concervative economics teach a man how to fish, the hungry men standing on the left side of the isle wait for their table scraps.

It's sad to see free men self-shackle themselves with the centralized government chains of "security" and public necessity.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Good for Colorodo Springs. Seriously,the spending needs to stop. I just got a tax bill for a commercial warehouse I manage in Chelsea. The property taxes are now $172,000 a year! That's close to $15k per month! WTF is that?!? Those cuts are EXACTLY what we need everywhere. Through those cuts, people, and he gubmit will learn what is necessary, and what's not. This country needs to be turned upside down, in order to straighten it out.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Ah, It gives me hope for a bi-partisian future when I see that there are conservatives in this country who share a common language and sentiment with Democrats such as Rahm Emanuel.

14. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

A suggestion HD. Cut your freaking seal fund out of your budget before you start complaining.

15. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Probably a few outtings at Elitch Gardens to ride the coasters for the state congress.

16. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Seal...great singer, and I think we should support him. Our Tax dollars got him Heidi Klum.

on the real, I have no clue what you are talking about. Please link me before YOU start complaining.

17. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Guess we all better start chumming....